Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 4:09:04 PM EDT
I'm thinking about taking my XS Officers ACP to the Fun Show this week end and selling it. Not sure what it's worth, though. It has some minor wear on the finish on the frame from holster carry (pretty minor). That's it for wear.

I have the original box, manual, 7 rnd mag and I'm planning on throwing in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB holster.

What do you think it's worth?

Scott
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's all, huh?

I'm surprised. I figured the XS model (aluminum frame, stainless slide/barrel, Novak Sights, Cocobolo grips, etc.) would bring more than that. Perhaps I'll keep it.

I got it new a new about 5 years ago. What I really wanted the XS Concealed Carry. It was esentially the same pistol but with a Commander size slide & barrel. Couldn't find one anywhere so I settled for the Officers. It's a good gun but I really would prefer the 4.25 inch barrel. I was gonna use the money to get a Kimber CDP Compact II – it's pretty comparable to the XS Concealed Carry. I wish Colt still made that pistol.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The OACP has taken a bit of a hit in the last couple of years in value due to all the CCW models out there now. Lower demand on the gun, etc. etc.

The less-than-ideal barrel bushing set-up hasn't done it any favors, IMO.

Used holsters are almost impossible to unload, generally speaking. Even the better ones take a helluva beating on resale values.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Bob

Say, do you know if it's possible to put a Commander slide and barrel on this pistol? And, if so, how one might go about arranging that?

If memory serves, the standard 5" .45's I shot in the Corps were a little more pleasant to fire. Since this is my carry gun I'm thinking the 4.25" set up might be a good compromise.

Semper Fi, Devil Dog!

Scott
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's very possible to put a Commander slide and barrel on that gun.  If you go Colt parts, it will be pricey.  Heck, if you go any quality parts, it will be a little expensive.  

You will need a new slide, barrel (with link, link pin, and barrel bushing), recoil spring guide, recoil spring plug, and recoil spring.  All the other parts should swap over fine.  

If you want to stay Colt, great.  If not, I would recommend a Caspian slide as being the not only of the highest quality, but also the cheapest good quality slide out there.  If you get a discount through Brownells, then the STI or LSA slides are an even better buy, though they don't have the classic good looks in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt actually did the Commander/OACP slide & frame thingy & vice versa. I don't recall the model names for them, they discontinued them shortly after introducing them. Seems they were popular though.......

I would maybe add the better barrel bushing on it & try it for a while before I spent $$$$ changing it. Wilson Combat & Cylinder & Slide may offer some options there, IIRC?

My last 1911 purchase was the Springfield Micro, with the 3" barrel. I wanted a short slide for IWB carry & it fit the bill perfectly. However, for extended range use I will go back to the 5" Govt model.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took the Officers ACP to the GunShow today and sold it – because I found a CCO barely used for $700. Got $600 for the OACP XS. Then I took the CCO out this afternoon and put about 50 rounds throught it (230 gr HP and FMJ). Not a hiccup. I'm a pretty happy guy. This is the type of pistol I've wanted all along. Carry's as easily as the Officers but a little easier to shoot.

Now I need more ammo!

Scott
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I took the Officers ACP to the GunShow today and sold it – because I found a CCO barely used for $700. Got $600 for the OACP XS.

Sounds like you did good on the OACP sale. CCO used for $700???  Yikes!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, what's the right price for the CCO? Scott
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
used CCO seem to be running in the $775-$900 range.

Obviously a market driven price, but no where near worth that, IMO. Hell, a NIB Kimber or SA could be had for that or less in an OACP or Commander style. I think I paid right at $600 for my NIB SA Micro with SS slide.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
$750 to 900 is what the "Colt expert" at the show told me. I thought that seemed high too. But my perspective was, "for a hundred bucks I could get the pistol I really wanted". I go to a couple gun shows a year and this is the first CCO I remember seeing. I'm happy even if it wasn't a steal. The only thing I'd like to change is the finish on the frame. It's a black matt that's Colt says is a blueing. It doesn't seem to wear well. I was looking at Brownell's Alumahide II or Teflon Moly Gun Finish. You guys have any experience or recommendations with these products or refinishing in general?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But my perspective was, "for a hundred bucks I could get the pistol I really wanted".

Sometimes, that's all that matters, no?    
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
it never is a good idea to resell a pistol.first youll take a gigantic HIT!Second youll regrete sell same gun.This time you pay even more for it than you did the first time.so you end up payingtwice as much for the same pistol and luck would have it you dont like it as muck.sell it again.ive seen a friend sell his entire collection off in this mannor.constantly loosing money.he went from about 12-15 handguns to 1 semi auto and a 22 pistol.o boy!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Sometimes, that's all that matters, no?

Agreed.

In answer to Scooper, the OACP is the only gun I've ever sold. It wasn't a mistake to sell it. The mistake was in letting the dealer talk me into it when I really wanted a CCO. I liked the OACP ok, but, it was always like a consolation prize to me. If you put the two guns together I probably over paid about $150 to end up with the pistol I really wanted – lesson learned.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you put the two guns together I probably over paid about $150 to end up with the pistol I really wanted – lesson learned.

Trust me, you're not the first one to do that!!!!!    
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top