Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
this would be my first colt, any recommedations? type of ammo, grips, sights, how many rounds thru will the recoil spring need to be replaced, how do (you) like yours? thanks mike.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
thats about right .or every couple years whatever comes first.i still only have maby 300-400 rounds threw mine but its about 3 years old.it started not to go into batery now and then.shanged the springs .wa la o lay como esta?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an Officers ACP and it runs great as long as I change out the recoil springs every 500 rounds. The shorter 1911s go through recoil springs faster than the full size guns. hr

every 500 rounds, would the reason be hot ammo, or just the fact that its a short barrel? i called colt and the lovley gal i spoke to told me about every 1000 rounds or when every it fails to feed.
the fact that the spring needs to changed more often then most full size pistols is not going to stop me from purchasing the lil guy, but i just want as much info i can gather. thanks mike.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
"shange" as in shange the tire you lady boy you are!i tell you what for again.sorry my speling isnt better but when you speak 18 languges and read and write in over 30 well EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME! OK.JOWOW. E SIA NARA CHARRE
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
SCUSE PLEASE? I forgot to mention im full to the gills with weath,comeriencho,denero,scratch,money you boobs!
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an Officers ACP and it runs great as long as I change out the recoil springs every 500 rounds. The shorter 1911s go through recoil springs faster than the full size guns. hr

every 500 rounds, would the reason be hot ammo, or just the fact that its a short barrel? i called colt and the lovley gal i spoke to told me about every 1000 rounds or when every it fails to feed.
the fact that the spring needs to changed more often then most full size pistols is not going to stop me from purchasing the lil guy, but i just want as much info i can gather. thanks mike.

I shoot mostly 230 ball and like to be on the safe side happen

thanks for your info, just because i would have change the spring every once and awhile isnt going to stop me from buying the lil guy!
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"shange" as in shange the tire you lady boy you are!i tell you what for again.sorry my speling isnt better but when you speak 18 languges and read and write in over 30 well EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME! OK.JOWOW. E SIA NARA CHARRE

Quoted:

Yeah, whatever.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
wetidelrjr, at least we have this guy to give us something to laugh at.

Yeah, I guess but that kind of nonsense needs to be in GD or better yet, the Pit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been using my defender as my main carry for two years. I have owned it for 6 or so, picked it up when it first came out. Replaced the grips, I find the wrap arounds to be too bulky and shirt snagers as well. No FTE's as of yet and I have put MANY K through it. Maybe I am lucky as far as springs go. I just keep it clean.  It is a great carry and a smooth shooter. Very concealable and not much heavier than a .38. Recoil isnt any worse than a much heavier springy compact. Great gun. Oh yah... big pluss...it aint made out of frikin plastic!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
One the best guns I have ever owned!----------------eats anything-----------Great point and shoot feel-------recoil less that most 4-5" 45s----------goes bang every time---------EZ take down, no bbl bushing and no tool needed!!

Do a search here, 1911 forum, google, and I found eveyone that has one loves it--------some even have 2!!----ever heard of that in a  3"?----------------BTW it feels like a 4-5" in many ways, smooth and solid!!-------also some do not need to replace the recoil springs very often or at all, however if you do they are very cheap, EZ and worth it. (me thinks it may have to do with hot/+p ammo). just my .02

Did you get one or lookig to buy?

GTD
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I ACTUARLY HAVE A BETTER 3 INCH 1911 THAN A COLT DEFENDER.MY kIMBER ULTRA CARRY.WHAT AN ABSOLUT JEWEL I SAID FOR!
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I ACTUARLY HAVE A BETTER 3 INCH 1911 THAN A COLT DEFENDER.MY kIMBER ULTRA CARRY.WHAT AN ABSOLUT JEWEL I SAID FOR!

Link Posted: 11/26/2005 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, I prefer 230 ball as well----------------My Defender loves it and I used the idea of profile and slow moving mass.  

Did you get yours?

GTD
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
woooohooo!! picked up the 07000d today, 120 rounds of 230 ball thru it, i love it! think ill head back to the range sunday! is there a extended magazine for the "lil" handfull? do other colt mags work in it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------I thought you'd love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Enjoy---------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post some pics if you can!      ------my system problem will not let me post pics yet.

Congrats again,

GTD
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Just picked up a Defender today.
Will be at the range this weekend.
Are all happy shooters using the Colt Factory mags or what other brand mags?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!----------------and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your in the club!

Colt and Wilson!-mags-------only------------my .02

GTD
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:09:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the welcome.
Went to Wilson site but could not find mag for defender.
What model/item number should I be looking for?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Went to Wilson site but could not find mag for defender.
What model/item number should I be looking for?
Thanks again.

what he said!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the 8rd Colt Commander or Officer model is the Wilson mag that fits.  Sorry I saw one but can not recall for sure, however I know it was an 8dr Wilson and even had a lip/ext on the end.

Best of luck and

Congrats again!,

GTD
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
8 round extra capacity magazine, chip mccormick corp. part # 14111.
local gun shop had one, it has a rubber extender at the bottom ( shaw base pad ) and is about 1" inch longer than the 7 round mag. oh by the way, i found out that it might be a good idea to wear a baseball cap when shooting the defender, i am now the proud owner of a half moon .45 empty shell sized cut in my forhead!        
oh ya!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
8 round extra capacity magazine, chip mccormick corp. part # 14111.
local gun shop had one, it has a rubber extender at the bottom ( shaw base pad ) and is about 1" inch longer than the 7 round mag. oh by the way, i found out that it might be a good idea to wear a baseball cap when shooting the defender, i am now the proud owner of a half moon .45 empty shell sized cut in my forhead!        
oh ya!!

Have your smith or gun shop make needed adjmnts to your Defender, mine has never sent brass my way, however I know if yours is a fix is possible.

Best of luck,

GTD
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I use 8 rd. stainless McCormick mags in my Officer's Model.  They extend just a bit, but it gives the pinky a little place to ride too.  I initially had trouble with them feeding at the range, but the trouble seemed to resolve itself.  They work fine now.  Anyone in the know out there, how would you rate the Defender against the Officer's Model?  I'm looking for a higher capacity 45ACP for protection/self defense.  I have a buddy who sings the praises of the Kimber too.  It looks sweet, and it probably does shoot well (Kimber does have a good reputation), but dollar for dollar, what's the consensus out there?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
  I'm looking for a higher capacity 45ACP for protection/self defense.  

...dollar for dollar,  

imo, given the criteria, the G30 is tough to beat

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#29]
ok, what the f---!? im going on about 400 rounds down range (230 ball at 10 yards) and my groups are getting wider, had the range officer sneak some snap caps in the mag to see if i was flinching and im not,should i assume that because the defender is smaller and lighter i might just need more practice with it ? or sould i not expect a 1" group from the 'lil' guy? its not my first pistol, and im getting frustrated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
A Defender has been my main CCW for the past year or so.

I have fired 1000-1500 rounds and have yet to experience any FTF issues due to spring wear.

I too wear a baseball cap when firing the Defender at the range: one day, I ended up with three half moons on my forehead due to the cases being ejected rearward. And, although I've tuned the extractor - the problem persists.

Other than that single issue, I've not been anything but pleased with the performance of my Defender. Actually, I prefer the Defender to the Kimber Tactical Ultra that I own. The Defender has far fewer FTF issues.

.02 -

paddle3
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got a Colt 1911, and have spent over a grand on aftermarket stuff for it, action jobs, reliability jobs etc... and the thing still won't run. It is a very sweet looking paperweight. I bought a Glock and it has run since day one. I'm sorry that you bought a Colt. They aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Just read your own threads. Ya'll are getting hit in the face with ejected brass, having to change springs after 500 rds to keep them running? Sorry groups after only a few hundred rounds. People don't like "plastic" guns, but I'll take mine and have fun, Ya'll keep messing with yours trying to get them to run. The reason I can say this is because I did it too, and spent way too much money trying to fix multiple problems that should have been right from the factory. I know there will be a bunch of hate mail directed at my post for this, but I don't care. It is time to wake up and smell the plastic. Jump ship, you will be happy. Just swallow your pride a little and jump, the landing will be better than you ever expected. Let the hate mail begin.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I, also own a glock g21 that i love! i wouldnt give up my glock for anything, i wanted the defender because, i wanted it, now since my last post i found out that i was not holding onto it tight enough and as far as ftf, the chip mcormick mag was the cause of that, and my groups have improved. i still wear a cap, every now and then one wacks me in the head.i wouldnt give the defender either . see, no hate! LOL! thanks for your imput.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I will add - that if I'm not carrying the Defender, I'll have a G23 in a shoulder holster. And, sometimes a G26 in an ankle holster. (Especially if visiting Detroit!)

Also, I agree: I've never had a Glock that didn't function perfectly right out of the box. All 3 Kimbers and the Defender have required some fine tuning before working reliably.

All said: I AM trusting the Defender with my life each and every time it gets carried.

Simply .02 -

paddle3
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got a Colt 1911, and have spent over a grand on aftermarket stuff for it, action jobs, reliability jobs etc... and the thing still won't run. It is a very sweet looking paperweight. I bought a Glock and it has run since day one. I'm sorry that you bought a Colt. They aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Just read your own threads. Ya'll are getting hit in the face with ejected brass, having to change springs after 500 rds to keep them running? Sorry groups after only a few hundred rounds. People don't like "plastic" guns, but I'll take mine and have fun, Ya'll keep messing with yours trying to get them to run. The reason I can say this is because I did it too, and spent way too much money trying to fix multiple problems that should have been right from the factory. I know there will be a bunch of hate mail directed at my post for this, but I don't care. It is time to wake up and smell the plastic. Jump ship, you will be happy. Just swallow your pride a little and jump, the landing will be better than you ever expected. Let the hate mail begin.....

We don't hate the short bus people or their glocks.......now run along and play in the glock forum.

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Also, I agree: I've never had a Glock that didn't function perfectly right out of the box.

i forgot to add my g21 chokes on aluminum cased rounds at least one in evey mag, but is flawless with brass.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]
i have noticed the followers from the COLT mags (defender) that is coated orange has been peeling and falling off, i have cleaned off the coating completly, has this happened to anyone else? is this normal? could it cause ftf?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can lock this up and you can start a new post in the GLOCK forum.

please dont.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i have noticed the followers from the COLT mags (defender) that is coated orange has been peeling and falling off, i have cleaned off the coating completly, has this happened to anyone else? is this normal? could it cause ftf?

Many semi auto malfunctions can be tracked to the magazine or ammo. (I AM USEING THREE TYPES OF AMMO) Yes a self destructing mag can cause ftf. (MY I ASK YOU TO DEFINE SELF DESTRUCTING)

Wilson Magazines and a properly tuned extractor should cure your defender ills.(THE EXTRACTOR NEEDS TUNING?,, CAN I DO THIS?)  If you were closer I'd do the extractor for you.
( THANK YOU , MUCH APPRECIATED)

my problem seems to be with one of the two mags that i have, the gun and mags are not even 4 weeks old and have 800-900 rounds down range, should there be a problem so soon? today, out of 100 rounds i had four stovepipes  and (one time) the slide failed to lock back after the last round. the range officer has a defender also, he says it YOU   (meaning me) that the gun is malfunctioning, what the heck does that mean?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like "limp wristing" that they are claimimg and it would explain many of the issues you have had.  

Hope you get things up and running soon--------Best of luck and Happy New Year!

GTD
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#43]
XNAVEOD,  you wouldn't want to part with that there 1911 paper weight, would you?  I'd be more than happy to replace it with a more suitable moon rock paper weight.  

My utmost faith is in almost anything designed by John Browning, and used by our military and others for what, around 90 years or so?  I realize there have been subsitutions, replacements, and variations, but the essential design remains constant.

Talk to me about your Glock in, well, 70 years from now.... LOL......
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Is it possible that you are limp wristing the pistol? By limp wristing I mean that you are allowing your wrist to break/flex/bend during the recoil cycle of the pistol. If so this will cause the pistol to malfunction as it robs the slide of necassary momentum during its cycle.

well its hard for me to tell if my wrist is moving during the cycle, but im sure that is does, i try to push and hold onto the grip just about as tight as i can (without the white knuckel death grip). maybe a glove would help? or how do i prevent the wrist from flexing? or maybe im just so used to full sized pistols i get lazy.? im motovated that i will have the "lil" guy malfunction free, damn it!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I have an early defender . I have tuned the ejector due to bumps in the head . I also use Springfield mags in addition to my Colts .

I love the little gun . Runs like a champ . and Accurate too .
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#47]
today i took four kinds of ammo to test out the defender to see if  the ammo i am useing was my problem.  speer lawman, fiocchi, blazer, independence, all 230 ball.
first mag two stove pipes, changed ammo, next mag ran perfect, next mag jamb, changed ammo, one jamb, slide not locked back after last round, etc. etc. now, the range officer saw i was having problems and he shot three types of ammo and same thing happened to him. last week i went ahead and ordered new recoil springs from brownells part # sp57779 and they arrived today after i got home, upon breaking down the defender to clean it i noticed that the original recoil spring is about 1/4 shorter than the new one and the  old spring seems to be a lighter gauge. ( ANYONE THINK THATS THE PROBLEM? ) i may go back on sunday to try out the new spring and see if that was the problem all along.                            
i really do not want to send it back to colt, and would to hate to sell it, but im getting VERY frustrated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Hope it works for ya!-------------------------Got my fingers crossed---------------------------

Best of luck,

GTD
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#49]
well, after changing the recoil spring and going onto the range with a positive attitude first round boom, jamb, cleared jamb, ftf, cleared, ftf, then round in the chamber fail to fire, etc, etc, the defender is on its way back to colt.
i am EXTREMELY unhappy. since this is my first and likey my last colt and never had to deal with their  repair shop i will not bash the colt company in any way, i feel that i must give them a chance to fix the problem.
i kinda knew that something was wrong from the start.  i will let everyone know how it turns out depending on how long it takes for them to repair it and send it back, it may be 2-3 months.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Reference the malfunction issues: My magazine recipe. I use a SS COLT FACTORY mag. body. In this case I would use the specified 6 rounder. I install a Wollf spring (For a 6 Round Mag.) and the Pachmayr rounded follower. I've used this set-up in two Colt Commanders with a 50+ age difference and experienced 0 malfunctions. I had a Colt Defender pass thru my hands (I sold it before I had a chance to shoot it). I gave the buyer two different factory mags and the Wollf/Pachmayr parts. I told him if he experienced ANY malfunctions I would make it right. I have not heard back from him. I may end up with another Defender but am leaning towards finding a LWT Officers ACP. The Defender sure is a neat little package though. My current ccw is a Colt ORM SS LWT Commander. I like the SS lwt combo. Of course, YMMV. As far as the Glock vs. Colt debate: Get BOTH!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top