Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2015 11:54:44 PM EDT
My dad is thinking about buying a Colt Python. He said it looks like it's been shot but hardly. Very light line on the cylinder. My dad said it's from the late 70's. I think it has a 6" barrel and is the blued version. I think the price is 2200. I don't know anything about Pythons other than I know they sell for a lot. What are some things that I should ask my dad about it to make sure it's worth that amount of money? Is it even worth that money? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Though I personally think Pythons are wayyyyy overpriced....they are gorgeously made .  My roomie's is amazing.  Your dad needs to make sure the bore and the chambers are bright and clean and that the lockup from chamber to chamber is secure and even.  Also look at all of the side plate screws.  They should be unbuggered and clean.  For 2200 it should be nigh on perfect.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If the gun is complete, and a proper chamber rod confirms cylinder alignment, and crane is not bent, fold, or mutilated, then it's your wallet and your business.

But, know that there are no gunsmiths at Colt's who can work on this gun.  There are no spare part available from any source.  The fitting of the gun can be easily damaged.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the gun is complete, and a proper chamber rod confirms cylinder alignment, and crane is not bent, fold, or mutilated, then it's your wallet and your business.

But, know that there are no gunsmiths at Colt's who can work on this gun.  There are no spare part available from any source.  The fitting of the gun can be easily damaged.
View Quote

There are gunsmiths at Colt who work on Pythons daily.  
Colt still offers full repairs and refinishing for the Python as well as most DA revolvers made after the early 1950's.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top