Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 10/21/2013 11:50:43 AM EDT
So, I've come across this cool 1911...

The slide is a 22 conversion, the only markings on the frame are "United States Property" on the left, and "311124" on the right.

The slide is obviously colt, but being as the frame is the actual firearm... I'm wondering where it's from.... From doing some quick google work, It seems that serial number would put it in the range of 1918 mfg colt frames?

I was told the gun came from the estate sale of an older gunsmith who died a few years back... Looks like he just had a frame and slapped the conversion on and called it a day?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a Colt Ace conversion kit on a M1911 frame. Looks good in my book. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a Colt Ace conversion kit on a M1911 frame. Looks good in my book. How does it shoot?
View Quote

Yep. and it's an older one [22 conversion] looking at the sights. Bout $300 right there complete without the box.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely a nice shooter!

I can find info on the conversion kits, but I'm more curious as to where the frame came from and what happened to the rest of the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can find info on the conversion kits, but I'm more curious as to where the frame came from and what happened to the rest of the pistol.
View Quote

Slide could have cracked, it was used as parts on something else, someone yobbed it up working on it, it got traded for the .22 slide assy, who knows.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Slide could have cracked, it was used as parts on something else, someone yobbed it up working on it, it got traded for the .22 slide assy, who knows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant it as more of a rhetorical question. I'm sure nobody knows the true answer.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You had me interested when you talked about the frame then I saw the hammer beavertail heavy reblue and modern trigger. It may shoot great but any collector value in the frame is long gone. It was very common years ago before people knew better to just use whatever you could find to mixmaster a gun together
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I like it!

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You had me interested when you talked about the frame then I saw the hammer beavertail heavy reblue and modern trigger. It may shoot great but any collector value in the frame is long gone. It was very common years ago before people knew better to just use whatever you could find to mixmaster a gun together
View Quote

It was reblued but the beavertail is a drop-in unit...the frame wasn't cut. With a proper hammer, trigger and grip safety it could easily be restored. The reblue kills some value but it's not hopeless...if someone wanted to restore it, that is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
That is a very nice rig....someone put a Colt conversion unit on a GI frame and then made some changes to make it what i bet is a damn good shooter...take that thing out and run some rounds through her....I bet you will be surprised how well she shoots....the conversion unit and the mags alone are worth a few bucks...go to gunbroker and check out pricing on Colt .22 conversion kits then decide how well you did
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was reblued but the beavertail is a drop-in unit...the frame wasn't cut. With a proper hammer, trigger and grip safety it could easily be restored. The reblue kills some value but it's not hopeless...if someone wanted to restore it, that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I learned the frame was old, I kind of figured it was moot because of all the newer parts, but knowing it's easily reversible (should one want to) is kind of neat.

She's a great shooter for sure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I meant it as more of a rhetorical question. I'm sure nobody knows the true answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If only guns could tell their stories, you just never know where it's been and what it may have seen.  

Cool piece, not a collector, but I wouldn't be ashamed of picking it up for a decent price.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I learned the frame was old, I kind of figured it was moot because of all the newer parts, but knowing it's easily reversible (should one want to) is kind of neat.

She's a great shooter for sure.
View Quote

The great thing about 1911 frames is that they never changed (other than the finger cutouts behind the trigger for the A1)...there's no hardening or other issues there. A 100 year old 1911 frame with a modern slide will be every bit as solid as a freshly minted 1911 off of Colt's assembly line today. The only "soft metal" issues that ever cropped up were on the slide (specifically the front of the slide, the slide stop notch, and the breech face/firing pin hole). You can have a modern slide fit to it if you want and enjoy blasting .45ACP with no worries about battering the frame, assuming the slide and barrel are properly fit
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top