Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 12/9/2004 11:53:51 AM EDT
Hey guys I'm pretty new to the handgun world. I was thinking about getting a new 1911 series colt. Anyone have a price range on what it should be? I've seen pretty high prices ($500). Or at least I think they're higher than they should be due to the surplus from it having been a major military weapon. Of course then I could be wrong too... Any help would be nice :D
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $540 for a new blue NRM Commander this past summer. Gov't models going for about $40 less. Depends on your area. $500 for a new Gov't sounds like a fair deal to me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]

due to the surplus from it having been a major military weapon.

This couldn't be more wrong.  The last 1911s that the military bought in bulk was during the WWII period.  1911s last so long that all the old WWII guns were just maintained well up through the '80s including through the Viet Nam war until whenever the Beretta M9 took over as exclusive military sidearm.  

You are making the right choice in Colt for a 1911 mainly for the materials involved (forged and bar stock parts as opposed to much cheaper metal injected or cast parts in Kimber and Springfield).  Also Colt quality and re-sale value is significantly better.  The drawback is that Colt's production rates for 1911s is much lower than the others so they are harder to find and they cost more.  Cost varies significantly.  I paid $650 for a "new rollmark" stainless series 80 a couple years ago.  This was high, but, it was from a good shop I know well and wish to support.  This shop convinced me that their price was high too and supply was low (I don't live near large cities and new Colts are rare).  I am happy with the product and the price.  $500 is a great price for a "new rollmark" Colt 1911.  I'd get it.  I recommend a new rollmark model, and a series 70 if you can get it, but series 80s are great too.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
(forged and bar stock parts as opposed to much cheaper metal injected or cast parts in Kimber and Springfield).  

And what parts are those on a Springfield?
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]

The last 1911s that the military bought in bulk was during the WWII period.  1911s last so long that all the old WWII guns were just maintained well up through the '80s including through the Viet Nam war until whenever the Beretta M9 took over as exclusive military sidearm.  

Yeah. My father said you could just barely see the rifling in the 1911 he was issued in Vietnam. It worked well enough though. He says it saved his life twice (ammo issues as an M60 gunner).

$500 isn't expensive for a Colt NRM 1991. It's a good price if you get it for that, but expect to pay $50-$100 more. My blued government size was just about $560 out the door.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Metal Injection Moulding (MIM), cast, bar stock and forged parts on 1911s:  

Springfield and Colt:  www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98163&highlight=Springfield+MIM
Kimber:  www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100683&highlight=Springfield+MIM

Colt wins
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
lol wow. More pistol newb than I thought. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Prices for new Colt Series 70 in Central Indiana

Government Model Series 70 SS  $1000

Government Model Series 70 $900+

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(forged and bar stock parts as opposed to much cheaper metal injected or cast parts in Kimber and Springfield).  

And what parts are those on a Springfield?

Well, about the only thing that DID'T break on my Springfield was the barrel, the frame and the slide.....  can't tell ya if every part was MIM or cast or what...but I can tell ya one thing...they sure sucked.  However, with some time, tough love and quality tuning the Bitch shoots like a dream now.

BUT look at this: Price for S A OD Loaded: 679 dollars.  Money invested getting the gun to function: almost 500 dollars.  I gutted the ENTIRE GUN and rebuilt it (since SA can't fix their own stuff).....TOTAL COST OF THE SPRINGFIELD 1179 DOLLARS!!!

NOW: Price for a NRM Colt Gov't Model (Stainless ) : $629 dollars.  Money invested: 8 dollars for an 18.5 lb recoil spring.  Now that doesn't mean that Colt won't put out a lemon from time to time and it doesn't mean that Colts don't need a bit of lovin' to get 'em to shine either....but my experiences with SA are numerous.  I have yet to be screwed by Colt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well, about the only thing that DID'T break on my Springfield was the barrel, the frame and the slide.....  can't tell ya if every part was MIM or cast or what...but I can tell ya one thing...they sure sucked.  
Out of the many many SA 1911 owners I know, you're the only one I've heard list these problems. You have bad karma or something?    

BUT look at this: Price for S A OD Loaded: 679 dollars.  Money invested getting the gun to function: almost 500 dollars.  I gutted the ENTIRE GUN and rebuilt it (since SA can't fix their own stuff).....TOTAL COST OF THE SPRINGFIELD 1179 DOLLARS!!!
See above.

I have yet to be screwed by Colt.
You must not have owned more than one then?

Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been seeing Stainless 1991 A1 Colts at gunshows going for $700-$800.  Is this the norm or are these dealers crazy?  I bought A Commander in SS a few years back for $600  and even then I thought it a tad high for a stock 1911.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Its too bad that a company that has been around as long as Colt doesn't seem to put as much energy into putting out a good product as Kimber, Para or even SA.  I mean they were the first producers of the 1911.  Not that Colts are junk.  I'm happy to own my Commander and think it functions just fine.  But unlike Kimber and the rest Colt doesn't use their resources to produce as many variants.  Hopefully we will see them change to become more consumer friendly in the future.  Until then they will continue to lose business to companies like Kimber and Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, about the only thing that DID'T break on my Springfield was the barrel, the frame and the slide.....  can't tell ya if every part was MIM or cast or what...but I can tell ya one thing...they sure sucked.  
Out of the many many SA 1911 owners I know, you're the only one I've heard list these problems. You have bad karma or something?    

hang out on 1911.org a bit...over the period of a month or so compare the "problems" thread between Colt and SA, you'll see what I mean.  

See above.

I have yet to be screwed by Colt.
You must not have owned more than one then?

on my sixth Colt....all good, EVERY SINGLE ONE

number of SA products I own: four....only ONE has not been repaired or gone back to the factory and that is my  M1A from the early 90's
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Its too bad that a company that has been around as long as Colt doesn't seem to put as much energy into putting out a good product as Kimber, Para or even SA.  I mean they were the first producers of the 1911.  Not that Colts are junk.  I'm happy to own my Commander and think it functions just fine.  But unlike Kimber and the rest Colt doesn't use their resources to produce as many variants.  Hopefully we will see them change to become more consumer friendly in the future.  Until then they will continue to lose business to companies like Kimber and Bushmaster.

Don't buy the hype...I did at one time and learned to regret it.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
on my sixth Colt....all good, EVERY SINGLE ONE

number of SA products I own: four....only ONE has not been repaired or gone back to the factory and that is my  M1A from the early 90's

No, I doubt most of what I read on the net. I prefer to believe what I see happening at the ranges I shoot at.

You've had good luck with Colt & bad luck with SA, so be it. But as I wrote, you're in the vast vast minority on that side of the ledger, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
for God has sent me to witness to thee of the wonders of the Prancing Pony!!!

Jack-o'-Shadows, iff you can keep between 579 and 650 on a standard Gov't Model Colt you'll be in the fair range.  A 1991A1 should run you between 479 and sayyyyy....540 bucks.  Go with the Gov't if you can....mine's head and shoulders about my Ol' 1991.....and I LOVED THAT OL' 1991A1!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey desertmoon,  whereabouts in AZ are you and where have you seen Colts for that kind of money?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a chance to buy a Colt .45 ACP, 70 series- Blue.

I have to order it, and it will take 30-90 days to get.

The order is a custom order, an therefore must be paid in full, in advance.

My question:

Is $879 too much for this model, or could I do better shopping around?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a chance to buy a Colt .45 ACP, 70 series- Blue.

I have to order it, and it will take 30-90 days to get.

The order is a custom order, an therefore must be paid in full, in advance.

My question:

Not by what they are going for in Central Indiana.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Those prices and conditions are from SAW.

I figured since they were a volume Colt shop (AR/ M4/ M16-wise)  I would check the handgun situation, and thats the deal.

I am going to scout things a bit more, but that is looking my likely route....thanks W.E.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'd say that's the going rate for that particular Colt model. However, I'd question it was worth the $$$ considering the options you have.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Just bought a used 1991 series 80 for $475.  It is very clean.  Looks like about 1 box of ammo is about all this beauty was shot.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top