Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2004 2:34:03 AM EDT
I've had my share of handguns. Some were bought on a whim, while others were well thought out purchases. My first 1911 is a good example of this.

I still have this gun after all this time, and have put alot of time into building it just the way I wanted. She taught me alot about gunsmithing, and served as my guinea pig/learning tool for as long as I have been old enough to own a pistol.

Right now my # 70  now wears:

KART slide & Barrel

Wilson full length guide rod & 22lb. recoil spring

Chip McCormick tacticle trigger

Wilson Sear & Hammer

Wilson Hammer Spring

Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight

Pachmyr wrap around combat grips

Chip McCormick mainspring housing

Stainless Allen grip screws

Wilson Combat Compensator

Wilson Mag-well

Wilson extended mag release

Wislon tactical safety

Wilson Beavertail safety

Wilson heavt duty extractor

and gets fed excusively with Chip McCormick Magazines.

I have hammer peened the frame & slide to fit, ground down the frame to fit the hi-rise beaver tail safety, polished the feed ramp and well as doing my own trigger job. This 1911 has been a wonderful gun to work on, and even a better gun to shoot. Johm Brownings design has been copied alot, but in my opinion, seldomly duplicated. My best friend just got me a Ruger 22/45 which will be my latest project gun, but everything I'll end up doing to that gun will be directly effect by what I've learned on my 'ole # 70.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've had my share of handguns. Some were bought on a whim, while others were well thought out purchases. My first 1911 is a good example of this.

I still have this gun after all this time, and have put alot of time into building it just the way I wanted. She taught me alot about gunsmithing, and served as my guinea pig/learning tool for as long as I have been old enough to own a pistol.

Right now my Model 70  now wears:

KART slide & Barrel

Wilson Sear & Hammer

Wilson Hammer Spring

Wilson Mag-well

Wislon tactical safety

Wilson Beavertail safety

I have hammer peened the frame & slide to fit, ground down the frame to fit the hi-rise beaver tail safety, polished the feed ramp and well as doing my own trigger job. This 1911 has been a wonderful gun to work on, and even a better gun to shoot. Johm Brownings design has been copied alot, but in my opinion, seldomly duplicated. My best friend just got me a Ruger 22/45 which will be my latest project gun, but everything I'll end up doing to that gun will be directly effect by what I've learned on my 'ole model 70.

Pics please !
(I just bought a new Series 70 !)
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like with the parts list that you have replaced, it is no longer a Series 70, merely a Colt frame?

BTW, it's spelled "tactical".  
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, she's still a Colt in my eyes. I've had her for 10 + years now, working on her a little at a time, bit by bit. She's too tight to be a carry gun, but is an excellent paper puncher.

Congrats on the new pistol Bill, you are gonna love her. I don't have a way to post pictures here, but will try to get my friend to scan a few pictures for me so I can post them. The model 70 I'm talking about is one of my most favorite guns, so she isn't the prettiest gun around due to the heavy use. But even if she has a little worn finish along her edges, and a few scratches here and there, I still love her! LOL!

And Bob? Thanks for pointing out the typo. By the way, KART parts are manefactured by COLT PT. F.A. MFG. CO., Hartford Conn. USA. The Slide and Barrel I have on my 70 is #70 specific, therefore all the major components of this gun IS Colt series 70. So, I guess changing the trigger & grip makes it a different gun according to you?

PEACE! LOL!
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, I guess changing the trigger & grip makes it a different gun according to you?

And MSH, guide rod, safties, sights, etc. etc.

First I've ever heard of Colt making Kart. Got a source for that one?
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Right one the slide itself Bob.

KART  COLT'S PT.   F.A.  MFG. CO.  HARTFORD CONN.  U.S.A. (Right side)

KART (Left)

Barrel Marked: KART .45  NM

That's my source. The main parts of a pistol is the frame (obviously) Slide, and barrel correct? Well, MY #70 has a COLT Government 70 frame, COLT Slide and Barrel.

The slide & barrel was purchased from Colt's custom shop.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Right now my Model 70  now wears:

KART slide & Barrel

Wilson Sear & Hammer

Wilson Hammer Spring

Wilson Mag-well

Wislon tactical safety

Wilson Beavertail safety

I have hammer peened the frame & slide to fit, ground down the frame to fit the hi-rise beaver tail safety, polished the feed ramp and well as doing my own trigger job. This 1911 has been a wonderful gun to work on, and even a better gun to shoot. Johm Brownings design has been copied alot, but in my opinion, seldomly duplicated. My best friend just got me a Ruger 22/45 which will be my latest project gun, but everything I'll end up doing to that gun will be directly effect by what I've learned on my 'ole model 70.

Wow, Atreides!!

That list reminds me of AR enhancement projects.

there is always that subtle improvement to be made.

I'd love to see the pix.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Sir, I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding Kart and who makes anything with their name on it.  Kart is a barrel maker, and they do not make slides.  Someone along the way (like Kart) may have stamped Kart on your slide next to Colt, but they did not make it.  Kart and Colt are two separate companies.  Colt (I love Colts, so don't read into this statement) could not hope to make anything of the quality of Kart.   Did you fit that Kart barrel yourself?  If not, maybe the person who did stamped the Kart name on the slide.  

Here is Kart's contact info:

KART PRECISION BARREL CORP
3975 Garner Rd. SW
Shallotte
Fred Kart
(910) 754-5212

If you don't believe me, feel free to call them yourself.  I use Kart barrels almost exclusively, with the rare exception of someone who insists on a Bar-Sto.  Kart is the best.  If they made a slide, I would buy it.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info friend.

I will try to find a way to post a picture of my gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sir, I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding Kart and who makes anything with their name on it.  Kart is a barrel maker, and they do not make slides.  Someone along the way (like Kart) may have stamped Kart on your slide next to Colt, but they did not make it.  Kart and Colt are two separate companies.    

That's what I thought. Given that proof, clearly the gun is NOT a Colt Series 70, only a Colt frame.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought. Given that proof, clearly the gun is NOT a Colt Series 70, only a Colt frame.

Give Atreides a break, it serves no purpose to rain on his parade.

Hope nobody thought I was trying to rain on his parade.  I just didn't want anyone to think that Kart made slides, or even worse, that Colt made anything for Kart.  It sounds like Atreides has a Colt Series 70 Slide, with "Kart" added to it, which makes it a cool Series 70 gun in my book.

Atreides, I have a couple Colts where the only Colt parts are the slide, frame, and grip screw bushings.  I replaced everything, right down to pins and pluger tube.  They're still Colts to me, just really nice Colts.  I can't wait to see pics of your gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
No one's raining on my parade fella's! My gun is my gun. She shoots straighter than I do, and runs smoothe as silk. I am real pleased with this old gun.

I just snapped some pics of the slide, but have to go develop the film. I tool a picture of the Kart stamp on the slide (A hollow "K" with "art" inside of the K) and of the Colt marking on the other side of the slide.

No problem Bob, I understand what you're saying. If anything, now that Hobbs stated that Kart don't make slides, my COLT is back to being a COLT again huh? LOL!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and I still love her as much as the first time I saw her!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, and I still love her as much as the first time I saw her!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No one's raining on my parade fella's! My gun is my gun. She shoots straighter than I do, and runs smoothe as silk. I am real pleased with this old gun.

I just snapped some pics of the slide, but have to go develop the film. I tool a picture of the Kart stamp on the slide (A hollow "K" with "art" inside of the K) and of the Colt marking on the other side of the slide.

No problem Bob, I understand what you're saying. If anything, now that Hobbs stated that Kart don't make slides, my COLT is back to being a COLT again huh? LOL!

Very cool!  You described the Kart logo perfectly, which means they most likely stamped it after installing the Kart barrel themselves.  I've only seen this once before.  Quite rare, and quite neat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
First and foremost, congrats on your nice shooter.  Secondly, a Model 70 is a Winchester Bolt Action Rifle.  A Series 70 is a Colt Pistol, a vast difference.  

Not trolling or flaming a thread, just interested in accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
First and foremost, congrats on your nice shooter.  Secondly, a Model 70 is a Winchester Bolt Action Rifle.  A Series 70 is a Colt Pistol, a vast difference.  

Well stated, +1

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OK Point taken dvr9!

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK Point taken dvr9!

Sorry Atreides, like I said, I wasn't trying to flame you.  You obviously are very proud of your Series 70, as any one of us would be.  I collect pre-ban model 70 winchesters as many people do and am extremely proud of some of mine.  Every time I see your topic...my beloved model 70, I click to read and it is about your colt pistol not a Mod 70 rifle.  Anyway, congrats again on the great piece.

DVR9

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps that's because he hasn't learn how to use the "EDIT" button properly.....

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, which island are you on???
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Perhaps that's because he hasn't learn how to use the "EDIT" button properly.....

Mike

You looking for some attention there Mike? That's 2 replies to my post that don't have anything to do with the subject. No flaming you or anything, just an obsevation on an obvious point. Hey, if the whole Model/Series thing bothers you THAT much, just skip my post. Problem solved.
Why don't you post a 3rd time...then I can officially call it "Nagging & Whinig" LOL!

Oh, and Bob? If you read real carefully, it doesn't mean I only have a Colt frame, it means I have a COLT Slide (with a Kart stamp) on the gun as well. Frame+Slide = around 85% of a pistol eh? My guns a Colt alright, not that I really care, though the markings on her does make her unique don't they?

I am on the Big Island Hobbs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Oh, and Bob? If you read real carefully, it doesn't mean I only have a Colt frame, it means I have a COLT Slide (with a Kart stamp) on the gun as well. Frame+Slide = around 85% of a pistol eh? My guns a Colt alright, not that I really care, though the markings on her does make her unique don't they?

Well, playing Devil's Advocate here, if you take the frame & body of a car (85% of it), & gut it with a totally aftermarket package, does that still make it a Ford?  

Most important thing is you like your gun & it's a good gun, no doubt given the quality of parts. I merely question the legitmacy/accuracy of saying "Colt Series 70" instead of simply "Colt 1911", is all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I say you call it a "Mike's Hawaiin Special Model 70 Limited Edition Super Blaster Deluxe"!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I too would love to see pictures of this gun.  It sounds as if it almost perfectly describes my Colt with the exception of the sights.  I'm suprised that no purists chimed in to "discuss" the use of a full length guide rod.

BTW Whomever made the frame is the way that I refer to all of my pistols.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 I'm suprised that no purists chimed in to "discuss" the use of a full length guide rod.
Seems a lot of agreed to shoot the next person who started that arguement.  

BTW Whomever made the frame is the way that I refer to all of my pistols.
As do I, which is why I would never want someone to sell me a used 1911 as a Series 70 & it's
really not, not that this is what he's doing in this thread.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Just wondering why you are running a 22# recoil spring, when 16-18.5# should be sufficient?

I've read that a heavier recoil spring may put additional stress on the slide stop pin/hole.

John
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Well, playing Devil's Advocate here, if you take the frame & body of a car (85% of it), & gut it with a totally aftermarket package, does that still make it a Ford?

According to NASCAR and NHRA it does.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

According to NASCAR and NHRA it does.

Then go to a Ford/Chevy dealer & tell them you want one of Earnheart Jr.'s cars, eh?????   After all, it says Ford/Chevy, right A dealer must sell it then??????      

oops
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top