Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2004 9:06:16 PM EDT
Reliable quality weapon..........target pistol or not worth the money??????
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]

The P22 is a cheaply made pistol. To cut costs even further it does not have a normal double action safety. Putting it on safe just puts up a firing pin block. You can keep pulling the trigger and thinking, huh?, when it does not fire. For what you get it should cost $125. Still, it's a fun little pistol, and with so many out there everybody is getting at least one. I like it, but it falls short, very very short, of the quality and design of other Walther pistols. It cost half of my last Walther, but for what you pay they should have at least designed it with a real hammer drop. Still, it's a fun toy and does not break the bank. It is just not overall a good value unless you own Walther stock or don't care about a disposable pistol that you will outlive by decades. This is not your Grandfathers Walther. I have a thread somewhere with frame wear pictures where others joined in posting pictures of disintegrating guns.

In the same price and size range is the Bersa FireStorm. It is a better designed pistol, but you will have to look hard for one or order it.

I'd post pictures of them side by side, but the photo server is down right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the informaiton...........I think I changed my mind as everyone seems to have the same opinion.  They just lost a sale......
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one a month ago and I am so disappointed in it... yes its VERY ammo sensitive... lots of FTF, FTE problems... and NOW the fucking front site blade has fallen off... I have to send it back to get it fixed and its only a month old... I regret ever buying it. I wouldnt have this problem with a colt or a ruger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]

I sent mine in for the abnormal rail wear and FTFs.  They said the wear is normal and replaced the front sight, although I never saw any problem with the front sight.

Since getting it back it only jams once in a while, which is normal for all my .22LR pistols. The CCI Mini-Mags have worked great for me.

Despite the problems, it is a fun little gun. I don't reccomend one unless you know what you are potentially getting into. Some people report only slight wear after thousands of rounds. Others, like me, got accelerated wear and multiple FTF, etc., failures until the factory takes a look at it.

Chances are, once you get it back from the factory it will work properly. Just don't expect them to admit they fixed anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my P22 back in Sept '02. Great plinker. Yes it had some break-in pains at first, and had to go back to the repair facility at S&W (a couple of hrs from me), Jan '03. Since then it's eaten everything, with no issues, besides that excessive wear!
Reason I got it? I had a P99 & still do, Here in Kerry country we can only buy new S&W .22's or the Walther P22 for semi-autos. All other new semis in .22 are banned. Yes we can buy new Ruger revolvers in .22, but not the semis. I can only hope that the MKIII gets "Approved" here.
I almost bought a 10 yr old Ruger MkII recently, $400 for the 512! Yes, that's more than most in other free states pay for brand new Rugers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top