Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2009 5:13:19 PM EDT
I was wondering if it is necessary to do them before firing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a few...mine worked perfectly before, but I was bored so I just had at it one day.  I polished the trigger bar ears, and did the work to the hammer and bottom of the breech block.  It runs even smoother than before, and I haven't had any sort of malfunction since, shooting federal bulk and win. wildcats.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a newer gun?

If so, all you really need to do is polish the trigger bar ears.  And you don't really "need" to do that –– you can just let the damage occur, and if it's ever a problem then you can have it fixed under warranty.

But do the trigger bar ears anyway; you'll feel good about it, and you'll be more familiar with the gun when you're done.  Just keep the pistol in a bag when you pull it apart, so you don't lose any springs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a pair of P22's in Janurary. I have only ATTEMPTED to shoot one of them. I tried many different brands of ammo and I am lucky to get it to shoot. It jams EVERY round!!! It ejects most of the fired rounds but will not chamber the next round. The slide is not cyclying all the way to the rear. The gun has some serious issues. I will either send it back for repairs or fix it myself. I would NOT ever recommend one of these pistol to anyone. Very poor quality control issues from all the bad reviews I have read.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just bought a pair of P22's in Janurary. I have only ATTEMPTED to shoot one of them. I tried many different brands of ammo and I am lucky to get it to shoot. It jams EVERY round!!! It ejects most of the fired rounds but will not chamber the next round. The slide is not cyclying all the way to the rear. The gun has some serious issues. I will either send it back for repairs or fix it myself. I would NOT ever recommend one of these pistol to anyone. Very poor quality control issues from all the bad reviews I have read.

did you buy them new or used?

i just got one in Feb and haven't had any really problems first 100 rounds went great with 1 faillar to feed but other then that it ate all the ammo and didn't care
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
They were purchased NIB. I got them during the "sale" they had at Gander Mountain when they were $249. Hopefully the one I stuck away for my son works better than the one I picked for myself. he gets home from college in May and it is for his 21st burthday. I sure am not pleased with the one I am using.
WW
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I tried many different brands of ammo and I am lucky to get it to shoot. It jams EVERY round!!! It ejects most of the fired rounds but will not chamber the next round.

It sounds like your gun has a problem; I'd call S&W.  Seriously.

If you've tried multiple types of ammo, including some higher-powered ammo like CCI MIni-Mags, and it's still doing that then there's definitely something wrong with the gun.

Or . . . maybe the magazine.  Have you tried more than one mag?

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
As I post in every P22 thread I guess I got lucky with my two. Both run great with crappy ammo and I havent done a thing to either of them
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just stick a suppressor on it, and it'll shoot 100%.  Mine does anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Had mine for almost a year and it runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a new one in Sept.08. I had bought it to be a host for my YHM Wraith suppressor. Never a single problem. It runs all of the bulk ammo from walmart and all subsonics. The only problem I can think off is needing a taller front sight when the can is attached.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They were purchased NIB. I got them during the "sale" they had at Gander Mountain when they were $249. Hopefully the one I stuck away for my son works better than the one I picked for myself. he gets home from college in May and it is for his 21st burthday. I sure am not pleased with the one I am using.
WW

really?? I just called them and they said it is selling for 349.. how did you get it for 100 less??? I want that deal!
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I got mine from that Gander Mountain deal as well.

I tore mine apart and did the trigger bar ear fixes.  I polished the ears and spread the bars out.  It really was pretty easy, however I do recomend using a large plastic bag.  Put the pistol in the bag when you dissasemble.  Also, make sure you look at a piece very carefully before you move it.  There are a few tiny, tiny, parts that could easily be lost.

I am going to wait untill I shoot it more before I decide if I need to peen the sxtractor or not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are the P22 bible fixes you're referring to located in the tacked thread at the top of this forum, or are they from a different source?   Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I spread the ears on mine, polished them, and did the hammer polish as well.  I just couldn't stand the thought of those rough, jagged ears digging into that slide with every shot.  I guess I'm just odd that way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I spread the ears on mine, polished them, and did the hammer polish as well.  I just couldn't stand the thought of those rough, jagged ears digging into that slide with every shot.  I guess I'm just odd that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are the P22 bible fixes you're referring to located in the tacked thread at the top of this forum, or are they from a different source?   Thanks

Here
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I've done the fixes and it works great not to mention it was fun doing it.  I only wish I did it before firing the first round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top