Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2008 3:32:32 AM EDT
Hey y'all,

Well, I had always wanted a PPK/S. It's just a neat little handgun. When the time came for me to get an ankle piece there was little doubt in my mind and then I went after my Walther. (Thankfully, Ruger had a recall on the LCP which took that out of my mind)

So, I was working at a Gander Mountian, and we had an employee sale day where we recieved a discount onn... everything. For firearms it had to be in the store a certain ammount of time before it was eligible to allow the average joe his shot at it first. But we had a pair of PPK/S so I wasn't worried. On sale day I put my money down and two weeks later took my Stainless PPK/S in 380ACP home for $480.00

In between the paperwork and my taking custody of the gun, I read all the horror stories about the PPK/S and found just about every phrase a combat shooter never wants to hear. "Failure to Fire" "Stovepipe" "Double Feeds" "Must run wet, sloppy wet."

Well, I took her home, cleaned it, lubed it, and took her to the range.

Not a hiccup. 200 rounds mostly in rapid fire with about 20 in slow fire. I shot Wincester ball ammo and Remmington 88 grain hollow points and she ran clean every single shot. It was so accurate at 15 yards that I backed it up to 25 just to see if it was capable. On a B-27 Silo target I tagged 6/7 headshots and that one miss can very well be chaulked up to my error.

So, for all those who want a PPK/S, but are afraid... GET ONE! The stainless S&W I purchased is good enough for me to trust my life to, and I do. It'll never be a 1911 or an H&K... but neither of those fit nice and concealed and comfy in an ankle holster. It's a great little piece.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice range report.
I've got a 1940 PPK in .32 ACP and it is a good shooter. PPKs are neat little guns. I plan on getting the S&W .380, just waiting for a good deal to come along.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
How's your hand?  Did you shoot it with or without gloves?  The rap on the PPK/S is it's stout recoil.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Gun hand is worn alittle on the webbing. I don't have overly large hands but apparently larger then Walther had in mind .

I shot without gloves, just as I would if I was pulling it. The recoil is snappy, but absolutely manageable for a pistol of it's size. Fear not the hammered pairs just because the barrel's short and she wants to jump alittle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey y'all,

Well, I had always wanted a PPK/S. It's just a neat little handgun. When the time came for me to get an ankle piece there was little doubt in my mind and then I went after my Walther. (Thankfully, Ruger had a recall on the LCP which took that out of my mind)

So, I was working at a Gander Mountian, and we had an employee sale day where we recieved a discount onn... everything. For firearms it had to be in the store a certain ammount of time before it was eligible to allow the average joe his shot at it first. But we had a pair of PPK/S so I wasn't worried. On sale day I put my money down and two weeks later took my Stainless PPK/S in 380ACP home for $480.00

In between the paperwork and my taking custody of the gun, I read all the horror stories about the PPK/S and found just about every phrase a combat shooter never wants to hear. "Failure to Fire" "Stovepipe" "Double Feeds" "Must run wet, sloppy wet."

Well, I took her home, cleaned it, lubed it, and took her to the range.

Not a hiccup. 200 rounds mostly in rapid fire with about 20 in slow fire. I shot Wincester ball ammo and Remmington 88 grain hollow points and she ran clean every single shot. It was so accurate at 15 yards that I backed it up to 25 just to see if it was capable. On a B-27 Silo target I tagged 6/7 headshots and that one miss can very well be chaulked up to my error.

So, for all those who want a PPK/S, but are afraid... GET ONE! The stainless S&W I purchased is good enough for me to trust my life to, and I do. It'll never be a 1911 or an H&K... but neither of those fit nice and concealed and comfy in an ankle holster. It's a great little piece.

I purchased mine brand new for $459 + walther had a rebate for $50 or two magazines at the beginning of November. I've had no problems after about 300 rounds. It is indeed pretty accurate for a small pistol.

Quoted:
How's your hand?  Did you shoot it with or without gloves?  The rap on the PPK/S is it's stout recoil.

The last trip to the range, I put 150 rounds through it and my hand felt fine. No gloves. The recoil is not bad at all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I too wanted one for years and eventually found a S&W version for $300 in the box at a pawn shop.  I usually prefer something larger caliber-wise but took it for kicks when I got my CCDW.  Its completely reliable and I have no reservations carrying it though it is pretty heavy for the size.  Recoil is comparible to .38 specials out of a J-frame, even the Mrs. can handle it without much effort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top