Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2003 11:52:13 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting a P22 for a new toy. Seems every body else has a Ruger markII. So I just want something different. Is everybody satisfied with theirs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had that I bought about 10 months ago...after 1000 rounds of stovepipes, failures to feed, failures to eject, I got rid of it.

I tried everything, new springs for the mags, new mags, 10 different types of ammo-everything from bulk Federal to High Vel, to sending the gun back to S&W to have them look at it.

They offered to replace it, but I just traded it off for a AR upper.

I have heard the newer ones are better performers, which I hope is the case. I like you, wanted something different than the Rugers Mark II, mostly because I did not like Bill Ruger and his under the table dealings with the Clinton Admin. on magazine capacity.

If you get one, try to get one with "A" coded mags....I have heard that they are supposed to help out the problems and to stick the High Vel for the first 500-1000 rounds....

Try here-www.gothammarketing.com/ikon/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi This is a Walther owners group forum....
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one of the P22s a few months ago.  I've only shot it once, but I can say that it functioned flawlessly for a hundred or so rounds.  I don't think I'm going to be able to get it back from my son, though.  

I've heard that other's have had problems (most of which are said to be magazine related), but based on my own experience, I'd give it a thumbs up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Both of the asessments are correct.  The newer versions of the P22 (like mine) are virtually flawless.  Be sure to get the A series mags, though.  Great gun...I'd buy it again!

Link Posted: 4/12/2003 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a newer P-22 with "-A" mags, and it was still a little finicky at first.  I polished up the feed ramp, though, and now it works great!
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought my P22 this year.  Works best with Remington "Gold" ammo.  Very picky about what ammo it wants to feed.  Make sure mags have the -A prefix.  Shoot it alot and make sure the barrel nut is tight (use the little wrench that comes with the gun.)  Mine was loose out of the box and I didn't check it until my 3rd or 4th time to the range.  1/2 my FTF stopped after that.  Once I switched to the Remington ammo, all problems ceased.  I think it's a great gun.  My kids like it too for its small size and light weight.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I've only had mine out twice, but I love it.  It is more accurate than I thought it would be.  The praire dog swinger at 25yds was easily accomplished.  My kids love it also.  You should have seen my three year old...lol..he just squeezed as fast as he could to get all ten rounds off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've put 2500rds of remington thru mine with not a one hiccup.
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Mine is a POS
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
well....my p22 is so awesome that it even works with subsonic ammo (Aquila)....

sometimes i swear one of the best guns in my collection

i take it to the range atleast once a week..

******important to know about the P22********
make sure you are very detailed when you take it apart to clean...it has lots of small screws that are very easy to lose. i already lost two of the screws and had to special order the replacements from S&W directly

other than that it is an AWESOME gun!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a P22 about two months ago, I made sure that it was one that was of recent manufacture to try to get one with the "bugs" ironed out. After a couple of bricks of Winchester hi-vel it only FTF once because I didnt have the mag seated all the way, accuracy is far better than I expected.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have over twelve thousand rounds on mine. Flawless on a Remington Bulk Ammo diet. More fun than kittens in a Microwave. j/k, sorry cat lovers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey now, theres no way thats more fun than kittens in a microwave!... That had me laughing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have over twelve thousand rounds on mine. Flawless on a Remington Bulk Ammo diet. More fun than kittens in a Microwave. j/k, sorry cat lovers.

WOW,  that's a few.  How's the thumb.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive got one, love it.  made me go out and buy a P99 too.

Edit by Hannah: sorry, all for sale posts must be in the Equipment Exchange Forum. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a P-22 last year.  It was not one of the ones with the "A" series magazines.  It worked fine for a few hundred rounds or so, and then it started to jam a few times per magazine, with the round getting stuck on the feed ramp.  I sent it off to S&W for them to look at.  They replaced my magazines with "A" series ones, and I think they throated the feed ramp, and sent it back in less than two weeks. Well, I've shot over a thousand rounds through it since then, and it has been, as someone said, more fun than kittens in the microwave.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had any problems with mine, and am thinking of getting a 2nd one. RSR has a new set that has a grey frame and comes with both barrels.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
mine works great sometimes doesnt feed the 2nd round in the mag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got to take mine out today.  Over 200rds without a hitch.  Smacked the hell out of some steel plates.  I love this gun
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I got my P22 finally. And at a great price I might add. I bought a 22/45 off a friend for $200.00 with 7 mags, and made an even trade for a brand new P22. Took it to the range a few days ago, and put about 500 rounds through it. All I can say is what a cool pistol. The only problems I had was with Fedral ammo. But the Remington worked fantastically. I don't think I could be more happy with it. Well, maybe when I get a silencer for it. And it would be cool if they came out with 20 round mags for it too. Thanks for the input all.
Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top