Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 2:23:07 PM EDT
So I'm in the mood for a PPK/S. But I don't know whether I should be looking for a German one, an Interarms one, an early S&W re-marked Interarms leftover, an early S&W, or a late S&W with the extended beavertail etc.

The extended beavertail just doesn't feel as nice to my hands, but I've not shot any of them.

There are NIB examples of the Interarms and the early S&W ones, and rarely some of the Interarms/S&W transitionals.

are there _ANY_ differences between the Interarms and pre-superbeavertail S&W that should lead me to pick one over the other? Should I instead be looking for a real German made PPK/S (I know, that'd mean preimport box rule, so more money)?

I want one that might well end up being wife's CCW. Yes there are other guns I'd rather she have, but she doesn't like any of the others - not Kahr, not Glock, not small frame this or that, nor any. The PPK/S for some reason seems to suit her (and PPK/S, not PPK), and a PPK/S she'd carry is a better gun than something else she'd leave at home for me to admire in all of its superiority.

So cosmetics aside, which one gives me the best starting point for reliability, and who is a good smith to send it to to be sure it runs properly?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I own and carry a W.German made on a daily basis, therefore I can only reccomend that model. No issues whatsoever. I did however put a spring kit in it , just for the heck of it. Was made in 1973.

Chief
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an interarms stainless PPK/S in 32 auto.  Never had a problem with it.  My personal opinion is the S&W ones dont look like they have as nice machine work done.  But I have only looked at one and never fired one.  Just my first impression.  If you go with German they can get expensive.  I bought a P99 from this place( http://www.carlwalther.com/page2.htm ) and like it alot.  No S&W import mark.  They also sell ppk/s for $1000.

For your wife a ppk/s may not be the best choice.  They have a very stiff DA trigger pull and the slide can be difficult to pull back for a woman.  I thought the same thing but my wife does not like the ppk for those two reasons.  Let your wife look one over before you buy one if she is to get it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I owned an Interarms PPK/s and dumped it.  It bit the hand that fed it and left railroad tracks in the web of my hand.

I bought a brand new S&W PPK/s and it's perfect.  They made some slight changes to it that have been a big help.

I carry it every day because it's that reliable and accurate, and easy to conceal.

Everyone I know who have bought S&W's are very, very pleased.

HH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HH

Hardly.  

My new S&W sucked so bad I returned to the gun store where I bought it and traded it on a SIG 232, which I think is one of my best purchases in years.

The gun looked rough where S&W had gone over what looked like an original serial number with an end mill and milled out a position for the new number.  There was clearly some modification after the nice German lettering had been put on the slide.

Worse, real worse, was the fact that it wouldn't feed ball ammunition.  It loved Silver Tips and Golden Saber, but wouldn't feed plain old round nose ammunition.  If I am going to practice with a pistol, I can't have this kind of thing.  

The fact it cut two lines in the back of my hand despite that wonderful extending beaver tail - I kind of expected that.  

All in all a very poor impression and I was grateful the gun store gave me full credit for the thing.  Save yourself some time and money and buy the SIG if you want a .380 pistol.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH

Hardly.  

My new S&W sucked so bad I returned to the gun store where I bought it and traded it on a SIG 232, which I think is one of my best purchases in years.

The gun looked rough where S&W had gone over what looked like an original serial number with an end mill and milled out a position for the new number.  There was clearly some modification after the nice German lettering had been put on the slide.

Worse, real worse, was the fact that it wouldn't feed ball ammunition.  It loved Silver Tips and Golden Saber, but wouldn't feed plain old round nose ammunition.  If I am going to practice with a pistol, I can't have this kind of thing.  

The fact it cut two lines in the back of my hand despite that wonderful extending beaver tail - I kind of expected that.  

All in all a very poor impression and I was grateful the gun store gave me full credit for the thing.  Save yourself some time and money and buy the SIG if you want a .380 pistol.

I don't know you and stand by my original statement.

HH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I'm in the mood for a PPK/S. But I don't know whether I should be looking for a German one, an Interarms one, an early S&W re-marked Interarms leftover, an early S&W, or a late S&W with the extended beavertail etc.

The extended beavertail just doesn't feel as nice to my hands, but I've not shot any of them.

There are NIB examples of the Interarms and the early S&W ones, and rarely some of the Interarms/S&W transitionals.

are there _ANY_ differences between the Interarms and pre-superbeavertail S&W that should lead me to pick one over the other? Should I instead be looking for a real German made PPK/S (I know, that'd mean preimport box rule, so more money)?

I want one that might well end up being wife's CCW. Yes there are other guns I'd rather she have, but she doesn't like any of the others - not Kahr, not Glock, not small frame this or that, nor any. The PPK/S for some reason seems to suit her (and PPK/S, not PPK), and a PPK/S she'd carry is a better gun than something else she'd leave at home for me to admire in all of its superiority.

So cosmetics aside, which one gives me the best starting point for reliability, and who is a good smith to send it to to be sure it runs properly?

Try going here and posing your question:

glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=149

HH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Or here is another good Walther forum

Waltherforums.com
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Interarms. No problems.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a German PPK/S made in Ulm in '72  
 I know I.A. made PPK/S in stainless .380 later on but don't know if they made it in blue...

I enjoy mine and prefer it over the S&W.  Although I.A. marked guns are generally not collectible, the earlier German imports at least hold their value.  I could sell mine now for more than I bought it for. Other dealers at the gun show were selling PPK/s in good to V.good condition without the box for $7-800.  I paid $400 for mine and it appeared to be only test fired.  Fortunately for me it was dusty enough and oily enough to look used and in worse condition.  When I cleaned it up, the ramp and ring around the chamber still had the blue on it without any scratches.  

I have paid $225.00 to $350. for a .32 PP and I try not to go over $450. for a PPK/S .380.
 They are out there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bought a brand new S&W PPK/s and it's perfect.  They made some slight changes to it that have been a big help.

I carry it every day because it's that reliable and accurate, and easy to conceal.

HH

+1.  I bought one in November and love it.  The fit and finish are outstanding.  It is extremely reliable and very accurate.  I too can conceal it very easily.  I looked at the Sig and to me, it just didn't feel as good as the Walther, and I did not like the mag release.  I'm sure the Sig is just as good...it just came down to personal preference.  I love the little .380

Blake
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I just took in a brand new S&W ppk/s .380 on a trade from an FFL/gunsmith who said he has sold a bunch of these (newer production) guns to cops in his area, and none of those buyers has had any complaints.  I have not fired mine, so I can't say anything about its reliability.  However, I will say that it is a very sleek, sexy gun.  It is the only stainless pistol in my collection.  

Although I am very tempted to keep it, I have been thinking hard lately about selling my PPK/s to fund another project.  I usually carry a Glock 19, so I really don't need this one.  If anyone is interested, feel free to shoot me an email (no IMs please, I never check them).  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

+1.  I bought one in November and love it.  The fit and finish are outstanding.  It is extremely reliable and very accurate.  I too can conceal it very easily.  I looked at the Sig and to me, it just didn't feel as good as the Walther, and I did not like the mag release.  I'm sure the Sig is just as good...it just came down to personal preference.  I love the little .380

Blake

You know, Blake..I spent a bunch of time looking at both, and the Sig-which I LOVE Sigs-didn't compare in feel, size and beauty.

The Sig's a nice gun, but it ain't a Walther.

HH
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I love my Interarms. No problems.

+1. It feeds and fires everything Ive ever put in it and is remarkably accurate considering it's size.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all. Looks like I'm buying an Interarms in good condition from a guy trading up to other toys.

I explained that it is intended to be my wife's CCW piece in the future, he's LEO, and he said this one has never had any feed issues at all.  I figure I should be able to trust a LEO who knows he's selling a gun to become a woman's CCW to be honest about the gun's reliability. So I'm happy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I have Interarms in .380. I like it. If you don't hang on to it, it will cut your hand. My ex-wife liked it. I have some reservations about carrying such a small caliber defense gun, but if I apply the "man grip" to it, I can fire all 7 rounds accurately, super fast. 7x .380 rounds to the head or chest will certainly drop any would be attackers.

ETA: I guess its really more of a "oh shit" gun. I will save the .45s as "Jesus guns" (as in when I pull one out, someone is meeting Jesus).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HH

Hardly.  

Sounds like a very sketchy gun that may not have been legit.  PPK/Ss sold in the USA are not made by Walther in Germany.   They are manufactured by S&W.  

4. Are all Walther pistols manufactured in Germany?
The P99, P22 and G22 are manufactured in Germany. The PPK and PPK/S-1 are manufactured by Smith & Wesson in their Houlton, Maine plant.

that is from www.waltheramerica.com/custsupport.htm#faq

Firearm serial numbers are never changed no matter what country it came from.  No one would change a serial number and that is illegal, period.   Any serial number or lettering is valid once it is registered.  It does not matter that a serial number from one gun maker matches the serial number for another because they are registered/reported upon manufactor or import with the make and model too.  

Fun fact: you can custom order guns from places that will do it with almost anything you want as the SN.  Nothing illegal about having a gun that has an SN of "DEERSLAYER1".  

From what you have stated, I really suspect your gun was not legit (the place that sold it to you probably had no idea, btw).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#18]

From what you have stated, I really suspect your gun was not legit (the place that sold it to you probably had no idea, btw).

That's an interesting idea, although it certainly seemed like the S&W markings I objected to were of the same kind of engraving that I have seen on other of their products lately, nor for obovious reasons have I examined any more samples to see if they looked the same as the one I bought.  The fact it came in a S&W box that would accomodate a six-inch revolver seemed odd, also, although this may be SOP for S&W these days with a one-size-fits-all cost saving policy.

I am so taken with the SIG .380 I doubt I'll ever be interested in a PPK, but from posts here it sounds like there are plenty of other avenues to investigate that will yield better results with these little pistols.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#19]

I don't know you...HH

Point taken, the result of an overly-emphatic post welling up in my keyboard.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#20]
For whatever reason, the S&W produced PP series pistols have the serial number in the same place as the older Interarms guns, BUT the number is now in a milled out oval-shaped area.

Why the reason for the milled cut, I have no idea unless it's to make altering the number more difficult.
Here's a current S&W model for sale on GunBroker.  Note the machined area for the serial number.

Notice picture #4.
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46555535
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top