Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 6:26:12 PM EDT
Walther P22 Initial Report

So I got my new P22 and based on what I have read on Arfcom and other message boards, I decided to do an initial evaluation and write-up. Here goes . . .

Serial Number prefix: L
Date Code: "AF"
3 1/2 inch barrel

Initial inspection: Pistol was clean, good overall fit and finish. I first field stripped it and cleaned it. I was fairly unfamiliar with it, so I lubed it like I would any other handgun prior to firing it for the first time. I have since learned not to do this, as the oil only attracts abrasive particles and will limit the lifespan of the slide.

Initial testing:
I bought several types of ammo to evaluate how the gun did with each:
CCI Minimags
CCI Stingers
Remington Thunderbolts
Winchester SuperX (X22LR, 40 grain, “lubaloy” coated)
Federal Champion (510 - 40 grain solid, high velocity)
Federal value pack from WalMart

1. I first fired all 100 CCI Minimags and had no malfunctions.
2. Cleaned and inspected — discovered some of the wear marks on the slide and frame that I read about on various message boards.
3. Fired 50 Winchester SuperX and had no malfunctions.
4. Fired 50 Remington Thunderbolts and had no malfunctions.

Here is where the fun starts.
With the last couple of mags of Thunderbolts, I began having the “walking safety” issue. The safety moved out of the “FIRE” position and began to move toward “SAFE.” It never made it all the way, but just began to move.

5. Attempted to fire Federal Champion. First 10 rounds, all failed to feed next round, manual operation of the slide was necessary to chamber each round. With this malfunction, the slide was moving to the rear enough to eject the spent case, but not enough to grab the next round and chamber it.
6. Cleaned and inspected. No additional wear noticed from step 2.
7. Performed the safety lever modification that many people have talked about (removed small amounts of material from the inside of each lever so they wouldn’t bottom out against each other). This seems to have worked fine; I haven’t experienced the problem since.
8. Attempted to fire remaining Federal Champion. Next 10 rounds, about half failed as before. Next 10 rounds, only 3 malfunctions as in step 5. Last 20 rounds, no malfunctions.
11. Fired 10 rounds CCI stingers, no malfunctions.
12. Fired 50 rounds of Federal value pack. Two malfunctions as in step 5, and one stovepipe.
13. Cleaned and inspected, found some additional wear on the top of the hammer and the corresponding mating surface of the underside of the slide. So far, the slide hasn't hung on the hammer during firing or manual operation of the slide.

Other than the malfunctions mentioned, and the issue with the safey lever, I haven't had any other of the problems I have read that others have had.

See next post for updates.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
UPDATE

Today I fired another 200 rounds of the Federal value pack rounds, and here is what I discovered:
1. I learned that I could actually replicate the failure to feed problem. All I had to do was relax my grip the slightest amount and the same problem as described above happened. I got to the point where I could make this happen at will.
2. I also noticed that rounds that I chambered by manually racking the slide failed more often than others.

Keep in mind that these symptoms so far have only come up when using Federal ammo. All other brands/loads tested work fine no matter what I do, whether I relax my grip or not.

I have also noticed some wear on the slide and frame that others have referred to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
the issue with the federals was recently discussed on RFC, I think the conclusion was that if you limp wrist at ALL, it lowers the recoil to the point where it wont feed a new round from the magazine.
I've been having a similer issue with CCI blazer, but it may have also been because of the slide hanging up on the hammer. I did the hammer mod and am going to test it out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
So,

If I'm reading this correctly...shooting a P22 with a limp wrist will result in a jam in your chamber?

Somethin' more you want to tell us?
Seriously, excellent report!

ETA: My P22 has over 5500 rounds through it with maybe 5 total problems that could be attributed to the firearm. It eats all types of ammo, without fail. It is the most reliable firearm I own...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only fired a few dozen rounds from my P22 unsupressed so I cannot really comment on reliablility in that form but suppressed it seems to cycle everything I throw at it.   It is actually more reliable than my Ruger 22/45 with crappy ammo.  

It is however not up to the ruger in build quality.   Im a few thousand rounds into the walther and it shows some slide wear, the ruger just looks like any other used ruger.  I have no doubt the Ruger will still be trucking along in 20 years but I fear the walther will be long since worn out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
my "L" prefix "AF" date code p22 functioned flawlessly out the box with remington gold bullets and cci velocitors.

400rds through it and not a single problem, no wear on slide. i did clean the gun when i first got it to strip all the oil/grease off and then lubed it with remington dri-lube w/teflon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top