Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:05:47 AM EDT
Tax free day is coming up in MASS.  Don't ask, it's a silly thing they do here once or twice a year.  Should be all year long!  (Note: I guess the liberal communists secretly know that lower taxes are good for the economy).

Anyways, I was thinking of picking one up.  I like the tactical look of it.  Intend to use for target practice & plinking.  Also, as possible training, carry & home defense gun for my wife when she get's her CCW.

Comments welcome.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one last week. Approx. 200 rounds of mixed ammo, no problems at all.

And it looks really nice between the Buckmark and the High Standard in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought one last week. Approx. 200 rounds of mixed ammo, no problems at all.

And it looks really nice between the Buckmark and the High Standard in the safe.

You bouth the P22 or the Mosquito?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
most will tell you it's junk.  the zinc cast slide wears down and after a while, you'll probably have a lot of play.  i've seen pictures of p22's with a nickle stuck in between the slide and the frame...  that shouldn't be able to happen.  there are also many reports of jamming - a lot of it is due to the magazines.

however, a member of rimfirecentral bought a p22 for use as a test gun.  he found a good cleaning/ lubrication method that works for the gun, and he has over 15,000 rounds through it as of now with almost no wear.  you'll be able to find the test gun threads in the link below...  

i don't own a p22, but i do own a g22.  quality seems to be fairly good, but it is lacking in quite a few areas.  if you weant a .22 pistol, i'd go with a ruger.  you'll be getting a proven gun, and you'll know just what to expect.

btw, here's a link to the rimfirecentral walther forum.  you should be able to find out anything you need to know in there:

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

edit:  i believe that the test gun i mentioned also needed some minor modifications to help prevent slide wear.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is a fun toy to play with. However, I would NEVER recommend it as a CCW or self defense weapon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses.  I'm limited in what I can purchase because of MASS Law.  I'd love to get a Sig mosquito, but it's not on the list (actually, there are two lists).  They just certified some Ruger's so I may wind up with that.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
You're not serious about using that for target practice, home defense or CCW are you?  There are plenty of other choices.  Keep looking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one I recently bought, its an exellent pistol.  Go for it if you can get a good price on it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
awesome pistol. shot a suppressed one at the last shoot I went to.

but +1 on don't use for self-defense.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#13]
my kids have about 5k rounds thro thiers, no problems whatsoever always used the cheapest ammo. one time they'd done so many mag dumps that the bore fouled so bad I couldn't get a cleaning rod down it. so I heated the barrel up with a hot air gun and melted the lead fouling out. they've put about another 2K thro it since then. we're pretty good about cleaning our guns and I think that helps.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely the worst piece of crap I have ever owned.   I wouldn't let an enemy buy one.

Avoid at all costs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought one.  1-2 jams/magazine with different magazines and different brands of ammunition.  Inaccurate with different brands of ammunition.  Went off out of battery and put a piece of brass in my cheek.  Unreliable, inaccurate, unsafe.  Sold it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Buckmark, it's MUCH better!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't care for the trigger
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Their customer service is pretty good. The one I was using had some problems and I called S&W up and had it fixed within a couple weeks. They didnt ask how the damage was done or anything, just asked where FEDEX should pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had a P22 for over a year and a half and I've had tons of fun with it. It took a little while to break in, but now it feeds just about everything. I would recommend it for home defense or CCW, but it's fun for target practice. I'm not sure about Mass. NFA laws, but I got a can for mine and have fun shooting it in the backyard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Get a Buckmark, it's MUCH better!

www.lipseys.com/eImages/buckmark-exclusive.jpg

I just picked up a used Buckmark Mirco for $170 in excellent condition.  The Buckmark Mirco has a 4 inch heavy barrel, a good trigger, and good adjustable sights  I would second this option!!  Check out rimfirecentral forums for lots more information on 22 pistols.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
My P22 is a piece.  The mags drop out while shooting and it just doesn't function as it should.  I would recommend a browning or ruger for a plinker.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]

600 rounds , no malfunctions. Using only the 500 box rem.

I did lightly hand polish a few things before I shot it.

Thats not something I normally do , just heard about a few problems from others, and decided to smooth it up a bit.

I really like mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Great .22 and the wife loves it.  One day I'll get it back from SW, it's been 2 months now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I hear lots of horror stories, but the only problem I've had with mine is a pin that walked out occasionally.  S&W fixed that for me and I've had no other problems.  Take the horror stories for what they are.  It is a fun gun, and IMHO a much better looking and ergonamic gun than the rugers or brownings.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Tax free day is coming up in MASS.  Don't ask, it's a silly thing they do here once or twice a year.  Should be all year long!  (Note: I guess the liberal communists secretly know that lower taxes are good for the economy).

Anyways, I was thinking of picking one up.  I like the tactical look of it.  Intend to use for target practice & plinking.  Also, as possible training, carry & home defense gun for my wife when she get's her CCW.

Comments welcome.

www.waltheramerica.com/images/WAP22007_lrg.jpg

Some love them. Some hate them.

They have had jamming problems in the past, and can be pretty picky about ammo.

Personally, I do not like them. I would rather have my Ruger MK-II any day. It is accurate, feeds everything, and will last longer than I will.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  I'm limited in what I can purchase because of MASS Law.  I'd love to get a Sig mosquito, but it's not on the list (actually, there are two lists).  They just certified some Ruger's so I may wind up with that.

I say go with the Ruger. I have yet to meet a displeased Ruger MK-II owner. They are superb pistols. I wouldn't give mine up except for a blued one configured exactly like it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I can't believe you guys would buy that plastic piece of crap when you could find a used High-Standard or other high quality .22 for $200-$300. I paid $175 for this 1954 High Standard Sport King and $275 for this 1962 Browning Challenger. They both function flawlessly and are deadly accurate. These guns are made from all forged/milled parts, and will go up in value every year as I enjoy shooting them. One thing I've learned from years of collecting, is to always buy out of production guns if you want them to increase in value.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You're not serious about using that for target practice, home defense or CCW are you?  There are plenty of other choices.  Keep looking.

Not for me, I have a SIG229R for CCW and AR-15 for SHTF.    Plan on getting the SEBR too.  

I want my wife to get into shooting.  She's never fired a gun and is really intimidated by the SIG.  However, she's interested and open to getting her CCW.  I thought something smaller with less recoil would help.

As an alterior motive, I'd like something that I can play with too.  Fun to shoot, inexpensive to shoot and looks kinda cool.  Thought the P22 met those requirements.  However, I think there is too much negative feedback on it.  I'll probably go with something else.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Here's a really nice Sport King for $250

Link

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
no opinion about the P22 but this will be my next .22 plinker.
~Dg84

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
on opinion about the P22 but this will be my next .22 plinker.
~Dg84

www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/mosquito%AE-large.jpg

Love too, but not available in MASS.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
P22
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an OD/black slide P22 and I havent had any issues with it... I read about the ammo problems etc before I bought it so I got 100 rounds of CCI stingers and 200 rounds of CCI minimags to break it in.. It has eaten everything I've fed it and now I only use the bulk 550 round remington bulk packs.
Overall I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
My P-22 works all the time, I have fired 1000 rounds without a single problem. I paid 195.00+tax N.I.B. I took it out shooting this past friday and I tried Federal, Remington, CCI and the P-22 loved every round with total accuratcy. I can't understand why one may think it's a P.O.S. Unless they bought a Lemon. My buddy bought one and a few days later he called me up and said,

Yo dude, My p-22 is a P.O.S. It can't go thru one mag without it FTE, FTF QRC, tpu or whatever other problem he mentioned. SO, I asked him what rounds are you shooting? He says Federal match target loads. I said Dude, thats your problem. Bring the darn thing over to my house now and I bet I will fix you P-22 in 30 seconds. He said OK.

He came over and I loaded 10 rounds of Remington, and the other mag with 10 rounds of CCI mini mags. It fired ALL the rounds. We loaded them up again. The P-22 fired them all again. We went to the gunstore and bought a box of Subsonic rounds, no problem.

See it was not the gun after all. It was the rounds he was shooting. Well to make a long story short. HE loves the Walther P-22.

And for me, he bought me lunch....

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I have never had so much fun shooting off 1,000 rounds. I wont lie I had a few that didnt fire maybe 4 total. So I wont use it for my carry weapon. I only paid 200 for the pistol nib. I shot this pistol more in one day than most of the things sitting in my safe. After this up coming weekend I wil have 2000 rounds threw it and with the pistol and ammo cost it will bring it down to .11 a bullet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The P22's are picky about ammo, but I've had very good luck with my P22.  Reliable and accurate.  I'd purchase one again in a second.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow,
I'm surprised to see so many poor comments & reviews. My P22 is one of the best firearms I've ever owned...Eats all kinds of ammo, never jams, very accurate.

I would never get rid of mine. Maybe, I just got a "good one".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#39]
senorFrog,

What did you end up getting?

I got a P22 for my wife & it's been a great little pistol.  Not as accurate as my Ruger but has been much more reliable than most of the accounts I've heard here.  We only had a few jams & misfeeds early on but it's broken in very nicely.

CD
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I purchased an AF dated 3.4" P22 a couple weeks ago. I put 50 rounds of CCI Stingers through it and then 100 rounds of Remington golden bullets without a hiccup. After those, I started shooting Fededral value packs (copper washed hollow points from Wal-Mart. The first four were duds. Every other round fired flawlessly. My nephew put ten rounds of Federal Champion in it and it wouldn't cycle the slide. So far it's been very reliable with the Federal value packs. It's been a great teaching aid for my wife. She actually wants to go to the range with me now :D

http://home.swbell.net/ryer52/temp/WaltherP22.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
senorFrog,

I got a P22 for my wife & it's been a great little pistol.  Not as accurate as my Ruger but has been much more reliable than most of the accounts I've heard here.  We only had a few jams & misfeeds early on but it's broken in very nicely.

CD

Got a Ruger MachIII  22/45.  

The negative comments scared me away.  

I love the Ruger.  I still want to get a P22 though.  SEBR next.  Then maybe P22 after that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
senorFrog,

CD

Got a Ruger MachIII  22/45.  

The negative comments scared me away.  

I love the Ruger.  I still want to get a P22 though.  SEBR next.  Then maybe P22 after that.

have you stripped it yet? you'll love to hate it

Nope.  Fired it four times already.  

I have to get w/this firearms instructor I've trained w/before, and have him go over it with me.  

I hate it's asthetics.  It's like an ugly duckling.  I have about an hours drive (one way) to get to a decent gun store.  When I get back and showed the ol lady, she was lilke, "oh.  That's ugly".   It's growing on me though.  

I think it's what I need right now.  

Thanks for all the advice.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Well , If I had had any problems with my P22 I guess I would rant about it here too.
But I didn't  

Mine cost me $228 at a Gander Mtn.
That's about $ 100 less than Mosquitos are going for.
Picked up the Laser for it  for $89 at a Gshow recently.

I don't NEED or WANT a .22 autopistol for anything but plinking.

It's cool looking , (maybe even Tactical ) functions fine with decent ammo , and
didn't bust my wallet

In short it's a great TOY , which Is what I expected

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Just my two cents worth:

I took mine out for the first time this weekend.
Before I left the house, I removed the slide, wiped off the grease, and reasembled. No new oil, nothing else.

After firing 100 rounds of CCI MiniMags (with no problems). I took to 550 Remington HV hollowpoints that I bought in a bulkpack at Wally's. Eight falures to feed on the first round of the magazine....(5 on one mag, 3 on the other)...and one failure to feed midway through one mag...this was early on in the brick (it did not seem to like the shape of the hollowpoints.) After that, all worked fine.

From there, I moved on to some "Thunderbolts(?)"....absolutely (in my opinion) the worst .22 rounds made.....dirty, nasty, ugly rounds. 250 rounds of those, without a hitch.
Back to another half brick of Remington hollowpoints....no prob.
On to 100 rounds of CCI Stingers...it loved them.
Another 100 rounds of MiniMags (to help clean it up) not so much as a hiccup!
I never cleaned, oiled, or disassembled it the entire time.
05/05 manufacture, btw....

I wanted to shoot it untill it stopped, but it was still going strong when we wore out!
We had 5 shooters keeping it going constantly!
I was very concerned when I bought it, but am happy as hell with it!

The Laser is very nice! Absolutely worth the extra bucks!
Now, if my TAC-67 would only get here!

A "tack driver"?  No way, but an awful lot of fun!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Wife likes the grips, but thats the only pro I have for this gun. cons, all kinds of silly safetys, one on the trigger ,one on the slide, one in the mag well. the dentent on the slide safety is wearing out and works it self on safe during fire. the sights are loose, FTE,s unless I use expensive stuff.the chamberd pound indicator is a joke. This gun is down right usless as a CCW. ive seen a lot better.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
New user here. My wife had some questions about shooting and so I gave her some fundamental answers. Next thing I know, she wants a handgun for herself. After some online reviews and visits to the local gun stores here in Knoxville, she decided that the P-22 fit her hand the best. We lucked up and found a lightly used black one with all the stuff for $209. This little Walther looked like it had never been shot. So, I had her put it in her name and we took it out and wow, is this thing a great little shooter. We use CCI mini mags and have never had a FTF or any thing else go wrong with it. After that, I showed her how to break it down and we cleaned the hell out of it. Nice smooth action. Put a few hundrend rounds in it and no trouble at all. The mag safty is a little wierd, but nothing real troublesome. Mainly, I am just glad that she has gotten over her fear of firearms, and I have this little piece to thank.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Good thing I came in here. I was going to purchase a P22 next week. I think I'll pass.

Ahh, but it is a pretty POS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I looked at one the other day. They look really neat. As I fondled it , I noticed that the front sight was wobbling around. None for me thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top