Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 1:55:16 PM EDT
Hey all!

I am joining the club.  I picked up a brand new Walther P99 in a .40 cal, and some additional 'preban' 12rnd magazines.

The gun has all the german proof markings, and came with one spent casing, and a target sheet with 5 holes in it.

Anyhow, so here I am playing with the gun.  I decided that I would load the gun, and store it until I was able to hit the range or the unexpected self defence usage.

Well, I load 12rnds into the magazine and with the slide closed, I cannot push it up into position.  I have to open the slide and lock it, then put the mag in and release it to have the magazine loaded properly.

I would assume this is normal, but has anyone else find that trying to pull back and lock the slide a PITA?  The locking lever has to be manually pushed up to catch it, and I haven't figured out a graceful way of doing so yet.. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the magazines need to be broken in. However, Are you sure that you received preban P99 .40 12 round mags? I know that the P99 9mm accepts the P88 compact preban mags. I have never heard of the .40sw preban mag for either the P88C or the P99 40. I could be wrong but I would double check.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Oi! How did i know I would find this here :)
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The P 99 came out after the 94 Crime Bill, so technically I don't think there are any "pre-ban" mags for it.  LEO maybe.  Check the markings on the mags carefully.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 7 pre-ban 40 mags made by Mek-Gar for Walther. You have to remember that because they were introduced for sale after the ban, prototypes and stock is built up before introduction making it possible that the mags were made before Sept/94.

I got my LNIB German P99 .40 with 4 pre-ban mags for $500!! I have not shot it yet though.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oi! How did i know I would find this here :)

Because you are the man!

Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I had the same question when I purchased the mags.  They gave me the spew about it being imported before the AW Ban.  

I checked the mags pretty carefully, and they are made by Mek-Gar.  There is no dates what-so-ever on them.

The only differences I have noticed between the 10rnd and 12rnd is that the flower is Orange vs Blue, and the base is not indented.

I got it to the range today, and it shot very well.  My wife shot it, and it made her cry.  She is afraid of guns, but I had to teach her!

Anyhow, the slide does now lock when pulling back on it.  For some reason, the first 40 attempts, it didn't do it.

Oh well.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, you struck Gold!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top