Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2009 9:47:56 AM EDT
I have a Taurus PT1911 .45 Auto which is their basic blue no acc. rail model.
Purchased new by my brother from a gun shop in Arkansas. I got the PT1911 .45 Auto 3 months ago basicaly new in the box with original reciept for a whopping $619 OTD. My brother put exactly 150 rounds thru it to verify function, cleaned it and traded it to me for a Yugo SKS and 350 rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 ammo. I have put another 300 rounds thru the PT1911 and it's a good & accurate pistol and the only 1911 I have that has a beavertail gs, hole in the hammer spur and holes in the trigger. Its all good and I have no reason to 'off' it.

I have never owned a Glock but I know a guy who loves Taurus and says the PT1911A1 the best out of the box 1911 clone out there and would trade his Glock 17 for my PT1911.  I already load 9mm so I would be ok there, (I load .45 Auto also) I also own a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec in stainless and a Norinco 1911A1 clone which is much better than that S/A and Taurus but the Nork has work from Wilson.
How good is Glock's warrenty/customer service?
Does this sound like a good trade?

Thanks
-VonBarky-
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If you get 200.00 to boot you might be ok . I love my G21 but you aren't trading in the same category here . I don't have a clue how Glock's warranty works never had to find out  not even sure if they have anything over a year but the Taurus is no Questions asked for life . Now I have much more faith that you will come closer to never sending the Glock back just by what I hear but still the Taurus is much costlier a gun you can pick up the Glock for 469.00 online even less if you get in a LEO purchase deal but still have to pay FFL transfer and shipping but you'll not get the PT1911 for under 600.00 anywhere I know of .
John
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep the 1911.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
$ wise, a used Glock is worth about $150-$200 less.  When looking at overall value, Glock almost always wins.  

Glock's Warranty and CS is supposed to be top notch.  I never have used it though.  I am willing to bet that it is better CS than you would get from Taurus.  Nice thing about Glock, it that it is similar in one way to the 1911, in that you can get all the parts you want for it and do the work yourself if so inclined.  The work itself is probably easier.

Make sure he throws in a bunch of mags of you do the trade to even things out.  

The 17 is a riot, but you will have a hard time getting used to it being a 1911 shooter.  The trigger is the hardest to get used to part but $20 in parts and a few minutes of labor will help that significantly.  The real plus is that you can treat a Glock with utter disdain and it will keep going.

Since you already have the 1911 thing covered, and I have an inherent dislike for most things taurus, and a healthy respect for the Glock, I vote to trade but make up for the price difference in mags or cash.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Taurus PT1911 .45 Auto which is their basic blue no acc. rail model.
Purchased new by my brother from a gun shop in Arkansas. I got the PT1911 .45 Auto 3 months ago basicaly new in the box with original reciept for a whopping $619 OTD. My brother put exactly 150 rounds thru it to verify function, cleaned it and traded it to me for a Yugo SKS and 350 rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 ammo. I have put another 300 rounds thru the PT1911 and it's a good & accurate pistol and the only 1911 I have that has a beavertail gs, hole in the hammer spur and holes in the trigger. Its all good and I have no reason to 'off' it.

I have never owned a Glock but I know a guy who loves Taurus and says the PT1911A1 the best out of the box 1911 clone out there and would trade his Glock 17 for my PT1911.  I already load 9mm so I would be ok there, (I load .45 Auto also) I also own a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec in stainless and a Norinco 1911A1 clone which is much better than that S/A and Taurus but the Nork has work from Wilson.
How good is Glock's warrenty/customer service?
Does this sound like a good trade?

Thanks
-VonBarky-

Thanks alot guys. All good advice.
I was thinking a Glock was a trade up from a PT1911.
In the past, before the possibility of the trade I have in an effort to try and like Glocks rented Glocks several times in both .45 auto and 9mm. I shot them for a while but just couldn't convince myself that i wanted one.
I don't own any poly-frame pistols. I have shot several and didn't like any of them.
Besides my 1911's I also have a CZ 75 SPO1 decocker in 9mm that I can shoot perdy good but it is all steel.
I think I'm gonna just fergitaboutit and keep my 90 year old design pistols.

-VonBarky-

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top