Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2005 1:54:56 PM EDT
This is my first pistol, and the first time I've ever shot a pistol.  After a lot of reading and figuring out what was important to me I picked up a 24/7.  I picked up an AR15 about a month ago and one thing I really like about it is the manual safety.  I decided to get a pistol with a manual safety too, so between the two of them I'd retain and strengthen the muscle memory to flip between safe and live.  9mm for a beginner such as myself.  Plus.. 'Handgun of the Year 2005' from the NRA.. that made a big impression too.

I LOVE the feel of this gun.  While waiting for the background check (10 days), I'd been reading alot around here and especially about the whole Glock thing, and began to wonder if maybe I'd made a mistake.  Maybe I should have skipped the manual safety and just gone with a 17 that I know I could ccw (the 24/7's too big for that in my opinion).  When I went in today to finally recieve the Taurus, I asked to also try out the G19 and 17, in between each one going back to my 24/7 and feeling that.  The 19, I was almost repulsed immediately by the plastic-y feel.  An ok trigger but nothing I'd write home about.  The 17 didn't bother me as much, but still there was nothing special about it.. a squishy trigger, no heft.. just blah.  I picked up the 25/7 one more time and felt so good and right about it, I told him to put the Glocks away, went back to the Taurus counter, and had him order me a Millennium Pro in 9mm to go along with the 24/7!  Heheh hester
http://www.culttribute.com/louis/21ftrd3.jpg

I had to get back to work, but I walked out knowing in my gut I made the right decision (unless it breaks tomorrow! his
Oh, and about the long trigger pull, I was conscious of it when I shooting, but I was GLAD I was conscious of it.  I was glad to know I was 'really doing this' when I wanted to shoot.  Totally firm, totally solid, no squishyness at all.  And I know it's not going to go off from just casual or accidental pressure.  My wife will like that too..

Can't wait to get the M PRO, these waiting days make me feel like a kid waiting for xmas all over again!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations, and welcome to the world of handguns!  I would love to hear about your future experiences with the 24/7, as I'm seriously considering adding one to my arsenal.  So far I can't find anything bad about them other than some people griping about the trigger pull - not sure what that's all about.  

I'm currently shooting a Beretta 9000S (40 S&W), S&W 9VE (beater gun with hellatious trigger pull), a S&W 99, and Bersa .380.  I'm looking for a 9mm that I can shoot more comfortably than the S&W's I own and the 24/7's rubber grips feel really nice.  If I don't hear some solid bad news about the 24/7 soon I'll be taking the plunge very soon!
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I say go for it - I Googled high and low looking for any solid pattern of complaints or malfunctions against the 24/7 but I came up empty.  The only thing was some people don't like the pull.  I admit, it is long.  It goes on and on and on.  That said, I've only handled (not shot) Glocks and Sigs.  The feel and pull on the Sigs seemed very nice to me and maybe I'll get one one day.  But like I mentioned, the manual safety was very important to me, and with everything else going for it, I can definitely live with the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like the 24/7 I think you'll like the pt-111 also.  I looked at both and ended up with the 111 Mil/Pro because I wanted a gun for ccw.  I've got about 600-700 rounds through mine with no failures of any kind.  I agree the pull is long and hard, but I've gotten used to it and don't notive it much now. On different forums I hear a lot of negatives and how "I'd never trust my life with it" and I just really can't understand it.  All I know is mine goes bang every time I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting write-up. Congrats on your new purchase!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
One thing I'm really interested in too is the new 24/7 that is SA/DA.  It could make a big difference.  I wonder if there's any chance Taurus would offer a conversion kit, or charge to do it at the factory?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.handgunreview.com/make.asp?make=Taurus

There's nothing in regards to the 24/7 on this website, but there are some mixed reviews on the Millenium pistols. I searched a while back on the 24/7 when I was considering one.  Icouldnt find anything bad on them either. As a matter of fact Gun Tests Magazine rated it a better buy than the Ruger 345.  Let us know how it holds up for you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for that link.  It makes sense that I wouldn't have found it via Google since I was always searching for 24/7 info.  I did read on the MSN Taurus group that there were quality control issues in the past with Taurus that have been addressed now.  

I did a quick field strip last night without reading the manual too diligently.. I ran into the problem where if you don't seat the spring guide just right when reassembling, the gun doesn't function.  Plus the spring guide is plastic and I have read at least one report of it wearing down and then showing the same problem I had last night.  I could envision other people buying floor models that maybe were stripped and reassembled improperly, and in that case upon their first outing at the range seeing a bad failure.  

One thing I've found with my 24/7 from the very beginning, the mag spring is TIGHT.  I can only fit 9 rounds in so far.  When I load the mag, if I don't give it a good shove, the first round or two will jam when feeding.  Otherwise, if I shove the mag in with some gusto it works fine.  

Also.. I don't think the gun had any lube on it, except for the take-down pin which seems to have plenty.  The manual says not to put a lot on, but I think it should probably have more than it came from the factory with.  I plan on cleaning and oiling as soon as the wife aint around for an hour.  

Otherwise, 100 rounds so far and I still like it... oh and the trigger does feel like it's starting to ease up a bit.

When I get some time I want to call Taurus and ask them about a DAO to DA/SA conversion too.

(btw, put in for my CCW today.. supposedly 30 day wait).

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick update:

Went to the range a bit ago and put another 50 rounds in.  The 10rd magazine will fully load now, and there are no more jams when releasing the slide catch.  My last set was 8 rounds at 10 yds with a 4in grouping.

Afterwards I cleaned it and gave it a very light oiling.  It feels better than new.  It didn't seem that dirty but the slide action is much much nicer now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One thing I'm really interested in too is the new 24/7 that is SA/DA.  It could make a big difference.  I wonder if there's any chance Taurus would offer a conversion kit, or charge to do it at the factory?

I am also very interested in this, I have been meaning to call Taurus about it but haven't yet.

The only issue I have had with my 24/7 so far is some times the slide lock doesn't catch after the last round is fired.

Here is a pict
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a PT145 which is basically a shortened 24/7 and the trigger pull is a little long but it is smooth and light which is why I bought it but also I like the size and the 10+1 capacity and recoil is very manageable.
Overall I'm glad I got the gun. The sub-compact Glocks just don't fit my hand right but I do have several fullsize Glocks.
That's lint not rust. I added some Trijicons recently and it is a nice little setup.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up my 24/7 this week and love the gun itself.  Like you guys said the trigger pull is super long which is the only think I don't like about the gun.  It's long but at least it is smoot and fairly light.  I would love to try out the SA/DA trigger on the new ones.  Might have to get one off those as well.  I can't complain though.  $299 and a year membership to the NRA worth $35 bucks so it really only cost me $264 with 2 mags.  Pretty cheap if you ask me.  What did you guys pay for yours?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I have also been looking to get one in .45acp.  So any and all information is much appreciated.  

I would expect that the trigger and function would not really break in till around 1000 rounds or so.  That has been my experience with other weapons, especially pistols.

-Corn
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on your new Taurus  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my .40 24/7. Def my new favorite gun!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I finally got around to calling Taurus. No upgrade/conversion is available.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#16]
i've got the pt24/7 pro in .40cal and have no probs yet... but for those who use this gun for CCW what style/type holsters are ya'll using?  thanks.

one more thing... how can i tell if i have the version with the DA/SA trigger pull??  to me the trigger pulls all feel the same but, my dad says the first shot it a long tough pull, the rest are lighter pulls.. i figure it may be just cuz i am so used to the gun...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top