Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2005 3:05:43 PM EDT
Im thinking about purchasing a PT-99 locally, off of gunbroker but im gonna go take a look at her first. Here is the link: www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=34957565

This will be my first handgun, should i get it? Price seems reasonable to me.

Also, he's got a Llama 1911 clone for sale. I was interested in it too, but i can only afford one.( click veiw his other auctions to see that.) Which one would be recommended for a first handgun? It wont be my first firearm, ive had a Bushmaster M4, multiple AK's, G3 clone, and a Mosin Nagant fwiw.

I think an AK round would be too much penetration for self defense in an apartment complex so i wanted something in a smaller cal. would .45 or 9mm be better since im looking for stopping power but dont really want it goin thru my wall(considering i get a CoM hit) ?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a stainless PT-99 in 2000.  I have over 1000 rounds through it and the only malfunction I had was in the first 50 because I was using reloaded ammo.  I have not had a glitch since then.  My wife and I both just used it to qualify for our concealed carry permits.  I think it a little big to carry, but I think it is a great weapon for the money.  I just wish I bought a blued version.  It is a little shiny for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you very much for that. im going to go take a look at it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine way back in the late 80's.  It's had several thousand rounds through it without any problems.  Very slick action.  I really like mine because it allows for cocked and locked carry.  I don't believe the newer ones have this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'v ehad both the PT92 and PT99 in the past, and have a PT92PS currently.  They were all boringly reliable and gave good accuracy.  It's alot of gun for the money.  Buying a used one is pretty low risk, because they have a lifetime warranty that is on the gun.  It doesn't matter if you're the original owner or not.  If there's something wrong with it when you get it, you can just send it to Taurus and they'll fix it.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, its the chrome/polished one. I really like it when i looked at it so i bought it. Field stripped it and cleaned it a little when i got home. Barrel is nice and sharp, needs a cleaning but i dont have my cleaning supplies with me til the end of the week. Im gonna go shoot it in a week or so, cant wait!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im thinking about purchasing a PT-99 locally, off of gunbroker but im gonna go take a look at her first. Here is the link: www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=34957565

This will be my first handgun, should i get it? Price seems reasonable to me.

Also, he's got a Llama 1911 clone for sale. I was interested in it too, but i can only afford one.( click veiw his other auctions to see that.) Which one would be recommended for a first handgun? It wont be my first firearm, ive had a Bushmaster M4, multiple AK's, G3 clone, and a Mosin Nagant fwiw.

I think an AK round would be too much penetration for self defense in an apartment complex so i wanted something in a smaller cal. would .45 or 9mm be better since im looking for stopping power but dont really want it goin thru my wall(considering i get a CoM hit) ?

I bought a PT99 in1987, and after 1000+ rounds it's still GREAT! I did put Pachmyer grips on it. You can't go wrong with a Taurus. Everything I've shot in it is real good, but 124 grain & 147 grain loads feel the best. You want to avoid Llama pistols. The Taurus is far better quality. Taurus pistols are made in Brazil on former Beretta machinery, when Beretta had a plant running to make small arms for Central & South American militaries. That technically makesw them a second generation Beretta. For your first pistol, I highly recommend it. You will not be sorry. I'm going to
purchase another one in 40 SW, probably a PT101.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
You made a good choice with the Taurus.  The Llama is a nice gun, but it is 1911 style (looks),  NOT a 1911 clone.  There are not many aftermarket parts that fit the Llama so it is difficult to customize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top