Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 6:06:00 AM EDT
I live on the coast of TX where the weather can be very hot and humid. One of the things I look for in a holster is that it will be comfortable for me to wear around town doing my chores in this kind of weather. How does a leather holster compare to a kydex holster when it comes to comfort in hot, sticky weather?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Milt Sparks Cordovan holster.  It's horsehide and a little more impervious to sweat.  They're great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm kind of leaning towards a milt sparks sumer special.  I wear t-shit/jeans 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Some would contend that some kydex is as comfortable as leather. I personally find that leather is more comfortable. As for sweat-resistance, horse leather will be superior to cow leather. Kydex will definitely be resistant.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Toted a Colt Lightweight Commander in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II today in Dallas. I was outside for a good ten hours.
The rig and I hung in there pretty well. I kinda felt like this , but not because of the equipment.
Good quality leather will serve just fine. The Milt Sparks Heritage model has a built in moisture barrier. Their stuff takes awhile. The Summer Special II is carried by Brownells.
Comfort-wise, I prefer leather.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at Miltspark's website.  I was about to order a Versa Max 2.  I am glad I looked at the delivery info.  Their delivery estimation is 6 MONTHS.  May be a great product but I am not going to wait 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahr P9 in a FIST K1 ultra thin tucked in the front works very well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I live on coast also and have used either an Alessi Talon or Desantis Cozy Partner with good results.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm kind of leaning towards a milt sparks sumer special.  I wear t-shit/jeans 90% of the time.

+1..been carrying a 1911 in one since the 80's....
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Mark Garrity's "Incognito Deluxe". It has a suede backing on the rear which touches the skin making all day CCW extremely comfortable. Also, the suede helps to soak up sweat but drys quickly overnight
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry my Kimber in a Sparks VM2 and also use a Comp-Tac MTAC.  There's a difference in quality but not much difference in comfort.  I like them both about the same.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Milt Sparks Heritage & use it for hot humid weather, very similiar to the summer special, but it has a built in sweat shield. I also have a cardovan VM2 for when it is not hot & humid. Yea it's a long wait, but well worth it.
They can be found every now & then FS in the various forums, you can also check with Top Gun Supply & Lightning Arms as they are stocking dealers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I spend a great deal of time working outdoors in 95+ degree weather. I finally got tired of having sweat soaked MSII leather against my firearm. I was constantly chasing rust. The damn thing wouldn’t even dry up by the next morning. I have since moved to a CTAC and haven’t looked back. It’s also hard to compare anything to the speed of Kydex. Dead cow is much slower. Another perk is the ability to tune retention.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top