Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 2:26:07 PM EDT
Hello i just picked up a new Fobus holster for my XD and i'm having a hard time getting the holster to release when i draw.. is there a way i can brake it in? i had a used one for my old 1911 and had no trouble drawing at all with it..

i am about ready to remove some matrial from the inside of the trigger area on it if no one has said they worked this issue out with theirs.

Jess
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is regular paddle holster, you have to give it a sharp pull.
You'll get used to it.
I've never lost my pistol, even while running.
(Make way for the Fobus nay-sayers.....)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Might want to check the holster, it should have a screw near the trigger area that adjusts the force needed to draw the pistol.  I was wondering why mine was so violent a pull as well till I saw that,
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Snatch it from the holster...

Try rubbing a small bit of CLP inside of the holster where is makes contact with the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok i've been standing here praticing my draw.. the only problem i am having now is i cant focus on my form as much when i draw..

but it is starting to work.. at least i'm no longer taking the holster off when i go to draw..

thanks everyone for the sugestions on it..

*BTW i was prepared for the Fobus Bashers to come along.. the Fobus i had before this one i loved so i just wanted to stick with the company *

Thanks

Jess
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
They are not much of a holster but they are cheap
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If it is regular paddle holster, you have to give it a sharp pull.
You'll get used to it.
I've never lost my pistol, even while running.
(Make way for the Fobus nay-sayers.....)

I have a Fobus for virtually every handgun I own and carry. I started carrying my M9 in a Fobus during the last deployment when I had to go over the side quite a bit to clear screws on our patrol boats.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I use my Fobus paddle for IDPA and once in a while for CCW.  It does have a pretty tight grip on the gun but after a while of unholstering and reholstering it will begin to loosen up a little.  As long as you give it a good strong straight pull you shouldn't have any problems getting your gun into action
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
step 1: remove from packaging

step 2: open lid on trash can

step 3: throw FOBUS holster in trash

step 4: go buy an uncle mikes paddle

i dont mean to be an a**hole but i hate those damnd holsters. the one i had was the biggest nightmare(and peice of sh*t) ever. the uncle mikes cost about the same and is SOOOO much better. dont bother customizing the fobus, just buy an uncle mikes.

good luck, just .02

edit: so you know what i did with mine. i removed material where my middle finger went around the grip so i could get a propper grip on the gun while it was in the holster. then i took some material with 220 grit sandpaper and a peice of wood from the squeeze part for the trigger. after a month from when i bought it i had it to where i wanted it to be. Took forever and a LOT of effort. Then i bought a uncle mikes for another gun and it was just fine - loosened a screw and was good to go. took 3 minutes. buy uncle mikes - just so you know that i didnt just get the fobus not like it and move on - i made it work. but why go through that???
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
step 1: remove from packaging

step 2: open lid on trash can

step 3: throw FOBUS holster in trash

step 4: go buy an uncle mikes paddle

i dont mean to be an a**hole but i hate those damnd holsters. the one i had was the biggest nightmare(and peice of sh*t) ever. the uncle mikes cost about the same and is SOOOO much better. dont bother customizing the fobus, just buy an uncle mikes.

good luck, just .02

+1
Fine for the range but I would never use it for serious carry.
I have a pile of plastic paddles in my box when I finally settled on IWB leather or belted leather holsters.
The Fobus plastic just isn't durable or comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
ok well i'm going to give an update..

with a proper draw from this holster it works great.. IT DID take a little while of siting here and putting my XD in and out of it for it to get broke in... now that it is it works great...

i find this holster to be just fine it fits comfertably on me.. and when i draw it properly it brakes crisp and clean....

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I also have a Fobus for each of my handguns.  They work great for me, a quick snap and their clear.  I did have one for my PPK/s that was rather tight so I got rid of the gun!  and sold the holster.  For the XD they make two holsters, I use a SP11b for my PT145 and no problems.  Its like my grandpa told me, "You have to be smarter than a watermelon if ya want to eat it."
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Armor-All speeds up all kydex/plastic holsters. Spray it inside the holster and wipe it down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#13]
makes perfect sense thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont understand why anyone buys a Fobus, when for the same money, Nucle Mikes, Glaco, and Bladetech all make injection molded holsters that are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better in every possible way. Ive owned one Fobus, and never, ever again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I never really like the Uncle Mikes that much... and the rest you mentioned are damn near doubble in price of the Fobus..

I like the Fobus after you get used to using it they work just fine and have great retention. your not going be using it for CCW just for range use..

your life is not on the line with this holster *for me anyway* so why spend big bucks on something like that??
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
When "damn near double" is 30 bucks vs. 15 bucks, thats a feeble argument. Beside, last time i checked, the Blade Tech Injection molded holsters were about 20 bucks. You can have an honest to good ness custom Kydex made by Grandfather Oak for under 40 bucks, and its the real deal.

Fobus are junk, and there is no point in using junk, whether yuor life depends on it or not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
well i dont know where you get the junk statement... and i dident pay 30 for it i think i paid about 22 for the Roto Holster.

Blade teach was looking at around 55 or so for my XD-40 so for the price of a blade tech holster i got the Fobus Roto holster and Roto mag pouch.

Jess
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I was stating that the Fobus are 15 bux, and the decent cheapies are around 30, neither of which is expensive.

The junk statement is obvious. Injection molded thin plastic secured by rivets with no adjustment for tension= junk, in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top