Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 6:50:46 PM EDT
I bought this holster because I like the positive retention clip, but this thing is tearing up the finish on my SS Champion something fierce.  It seems to have several serious "hot spots" where it is rubbing the gun.  One at the front of the trigger gaurd, one just behind the trigger on both sides, one on each side of the top of slide from just behind the front site to about 1/2 inch in front of the ejection port...In some spots, the gun is actually getting black marks on it where the plastic is wearing into matte SS finish.  This is a brand new gun and already has holster wear.  I have a feeling this thing is going into the dreaded box of unused holsters in favor or a Milt Sparks VMII as soon as I can get one ordered and delivered.  Anyone else using one of these successfully without ruining your gun?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have a few of those holsters and I really like them.  I have not noticed any holster wear from mine but I carry a Glock.  

Let me say this though, I don't care about holster wear because:

I don't carry a show piece.
I don't care if it detracts from the value, I don't plan on getting rid of it.
It doesn't effect the performance of the pistol.
My pistol is a tool nothing more.
I think it give them character and keeps them from looking like a safe queen.

I have yet to see an unlined Kydex holster not wear the finish of a gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It is the airborne grit acting like sand paper inside your holster.

On a leather holster, the grit sinks down into the leather. On an injection molded or thermo-formed holster, even one made of a carbon-fiber composite like the Blackhawk, the grit has nowhere to go.

You have to wipe it out with a soft clean cloth every couple of days. This is true whether it is a Blade Tech, Cendex, Serpa or any other polymer holster.

I do wipe mine out, just not as often as I should. Like the first guy that responded, my handgun is a tool and I don't mind a little wear showing. I like my guns to have some character and not look like they stay on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
After a month of wear , none visible on my SA champion slide or trigger guard. Mine is a 2 tone black & green though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not that the holster is getting dirty, it's just that it seems to have some "hot spots" where the weight of the gun rests and/or rubs when holstering/unholstering.  I'll take a few pictures later so you can see what I'm talking about.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quit yer bitchin'!

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
.... or keeping the safe queen in the safe on the stand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]
My only suggestion is to wrap it in a silicone guncloth, and place it in your safe as it is much too dangerous to expose the finish to the air.  Geez man it's called holster wear!  As in if you wear it, it wil wear!  Kydex does strip the finish faster than leather, but you will get wear with ANY holster!!!  If you are worried about how you finish looks, quit carrying your weapon, because the finish WILL wear off.  Look into hard chrome!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL....Man, you guys are a tough crowd.  My point is not that I wanted the gun to stay pristine.  I realize it's a carry weapon and that as such, it's going to suffer some wear.  My point is just that this is my first "plastic holster", and as such, it seems to be only making contact with the gun in a few places and it's really tearing into the finish.  A leather holster would more evenly distribute the grip on the gun.   Me thinks it's time for that VM-II.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.... or keeping the safe queen in the safe on the stand.

+1

It's a farking weapon!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top