Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 3:36:31 PM EDT
Okay, y'all steered me correctly to the Versa Max II IWB for a full sized 1911. Now I'm wondering about my best option for spare ammo. Milt Sparks has IWB mag holders (single and double). I've already got several Galco mag holders, but they are a little low (I tend to wear short flight type jackets, and these show a bit more often than I'd like. Any other IWB's anyone can  suggest, or a better means of carry? Are most of you not carrying a reload, or?

Thanks in advance.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you like Milt Sparks products there’s no reason not to stick with them but I would avoid IWB mag carriers… in my experience they seldom work comfortably for people. The crew at Sparks produces exceptional holsters and accessories and if you want a magazine carrier from them IMO the best they make is the #17...

www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/17.jpg

For a higher riding carrier from Sparks try the S-4C...

www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/S-4C.jpg

Other makers I would strongly suggest you look into are Josh Bulman and Lou Alessi.  

This man speak with straight tongue.

I bought a Sparks IPD double mag pouch IWB, and it was wasted money. The piece works and is fashioned perfectly, but for both the gun and mags, my pants need to be 2-3 sizes bigger than my normal size and it still hurts like hell on hip. Now it sits in the box and I just use a paddle type that I picked up for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm at this exact stage in looking for mag pouches to match my VM2s, particularly now that I pack 1911s with (only?) eight rounds.  

Based on my searching and picking amongst the best looking advice, I'm leaning towards the Sparks PCH-M front pocket mag pouch (see pic below).  This was based on the advice that most confrontations involve very few rounds such that the likelyhood of needing a second mag is very low, and you won't likely be doing USPSA/IDPA style mag changes while carrying (which sounds about right to me) and that the pocket mag pouch beats the belt mag pouches for concealment/comfort/convenience.  

I was about to order this weekend, so timely expert responses on this subject would be of great value.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm at this exact stage in looking for mag pouches to match my VM2s, particularly now that I pack 1911s with (only?) eight rounds.  

Based on my searching and picking amongst the best looking advice, I'm leaning towards the Sparks PCH-M front pocket mag pouch (see pic below).  This was based on the advice that most confrontations involve very few rounds such that the likelyhood of needing a second mag is very low, and you won't likely be doing USPSA/IDPA style mag changes while carrying (which sounds about right to me) and that the pocket mag pouch beats the belt mag pouches for concealment/comfort/convenience.  

I was about to order this weekend, so timely expert responses on this subject would be of great value.  

www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/Access_group2.jpg

One of the biggest reasons to carry a spare mag is backup in case of primary mag failure.  Do you really want to be trying to get a mag out of your pocket?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Galco's high ride (here) seems like a good candidate. I've actually started carrying my spare in my offside pocket (removed the change and keys) and it's not bad. Would be better with one of the pocket carriers shown above. Not ideal, but then as with holsters, all mag carriers are a compromise.

Not an issue with my Miami Classic, but with the VMII, I'd still like to have at least one spare mag. Then again, I can simply wear longer jackets. My (open) cover shirts all left untucked would cover the OWB or paddle double mag pouches from Galco that I already have (or any of the other ones shown above).

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally like the IPD except for the fact that it sarries the mags in two different directions.  It really slows down my reload times as I have to think about what direction the bullet noses are pointing.  The D4C, rides fairly high, but I find it wierd to carry my gun IWB for concealment, and have spare ammo hanging off my belt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked to Marty at Milt Sparks this morning about this very thing.

He recommended the D-4C, for two mags.  He doesn't like the IWB ammo holsters, not near as comfy as the gun holster (VM2) due to size/shape.  Even though they hang down a little bit, it's not much, and it's not obvious that it's firearm related. Could be confused with a PDA or cellphone holster. The two mag version helps balance out the weight of the sidearm on the other side, not to mention having more ammo/extra backup mag.  

He also recommended one of their single carriers, I think it was the S-4C.

He was pretty helpful, giving the pros and cons of each to help me decide. It's worth a phone call.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both of the OWB 4C Milt Sparks carriers and they work very well..
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Get horizontal. Get a Wilderness H.I.C:

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4_26/products_id/37?osCsid=7fd8085ef6d41941406d8fd6aad838c4

No printing. No peeking with short shirts. No digging into your thigh or hip while you sit at the office or during long drives. It’s definitely not a “competition” mag carrier, however very functional for ccw concealment. My CDP compact rides in a VMII and my extra mag rides in an H.I.C. at least 14 hours each and every day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies. Today I ordered both a Milt Sparks IPS and an S4C from Lightning Arms Sports (both in cordovan to match my holster). Was surprised to learn that these come in left handed versions (I shouldn't have been) and that Lightning stocks them as well. Also ordered another Wilderness belt from them.

I may order a Wilderness HIC in the future as well. Looks like a lot of potential. Also will probably order a Milt Sparks pocket mag holder as well. Remember that box of holsters?.......

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
MadMex is on to something with the HIC, but for a 1911 its hard to beat their dedicated horizontal mag pouch found HERE.  This setup works nicely for me (right handed shooter) mounted on the LH side of my belt, near the "appendix" type position. I snug the pouch against the first belt loop to the LH side of the buckle and carry a 1911 mag bullets pointing up, bottom facing left. makes for a fairly quick, much more concealable (than a vertical pouch) reload. The open top design (as opposed to the HIC) allows for rapid indexing and presentation. Its retention is good too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You might try one of the horizontal mag pouches. They are much easier to conceal under a short shirt or jacket. I used to carry a 20 round Beretta mag in one of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT for a quick update. I've received the Milt Sparks S4C and IPS, and find them both quite serviceable. The IPS is certainly the most concealable, and is held in tight to the body. I have experienced some minor discomfort while wearing this, near the bottom of the carrier. Feels quite like the Galco Royal Guard IWB holster I tried for a bit, fine most of the time, with an occasional "hot spot". A bit of adjkusting, and I can go back to wearing mostly unnoticed for hours.

The S4C is toitally comfortable. My only complaint here, is that with the cover shirts/jackets I wear all hitting just at the bottom of the belt, they have a tendancy to "flip up" over the mag, when seated (say exiting the car for example). This is mainly a function of my choice of cover garment. If I wore jackets a bit longer (or lost weight and pulled the jeans up a bit higher ) this would be a non issue. I suspect the #17, though not riding as high, would have less of a tendancy to suffer here. The bottom being exposed sometimes is not such a concern for me, as it can easily be assumed it is a knife sheath by anyone who does not spcifically recognize it.

I still expect I'll get and try a pocket carrier too. This will be ordered at the same time as my next Versa Max 2 (within a week or 2). These will be some time coming.

The horizontal pouches present another problem I've decided. With the open carriers, they expose the magazine at belt level. So unless I can be certain my belt will never be shown (longer cover garment again) these would not be fitting for me. The totally enclosed carrier is an exception to that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So unless I can be certain my belt will never be shown (longer cover garment again) these would not be fitting for me. The totally enclosed carrier is an exception to that.

You nailed it. That’s why I run with the H.I.C. If anyone sees it and asks what it is, tell them it’s a tool / Leatherman.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually have been using my Uncle Mike's pocket holster for this www.gunaccessories.com/UncleMikes/InsideThePocketHolsters.asp

I don't wear tight pants, so my reach into the left front pocket with magazine extraction is quite smooth and fast.

1) I do not have to "clear clothing" such as shirt tails or jackets.  I just slip my hand into the pocket.
2) I do not have to raise my shoulder and arm to get my hand on my belted mag, THEN, raise my arm even more (or contract the arm more; whichever is more like how you draw) to withdraw the mag from the belt carrier.  I just drop my hand down to my pocket and come up with a magazine in the correct orientation for reload or whatever.
3) I do not have to worry about anyone seeing my mag/mag holder or just the bulge.
4) I do not have my mag/carrier catching on doorways/countertops/etc.
5) I do not have to worry about someone "touching" my magazine during a hug or casual body contact.

I just make sure not to carry anything else in my left pocket.  It is exclusively my ammo pocket.

If I were down on the ground, I can see where it might be more difficult to reach.
But then, a belted mag might be hard to get also, just depends on the circumstances.

Another plus is having one less bulky accessory to remove from my belt if I need to remove everything to be locked up before going inside a "no-gun" facility.
I keep a lockbox in my vehicle and I can dump my gun and mag into the box and secure it.
That leaves one leather holster (a VMII... yeah, you guys got to me finally!) to put away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I just placed an order with Milt Sparks last week. Ordered (yet another) VM-2, this time for my Kimber Desert Warrior, and while I was at it, I ordered a pocket mag carrier. I figure it will keep the mag oriented correctly, protect it from pocket lint and (maybe) allow me to carry a little change or maybe even keys in the same pocket (we'll see about that though....).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top