Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
I did a search and could not find any info....

A new guy on my SWAT team showed up today with a Blackhawk Serpa thigh rig. Most of the team is running Safariland 6004's. I thought I remembered hearing bad things about this holster, maybe that it fell apart easily. Plus I'm not crazy about having to press the release with your trigger finger.

Anyone have any experience with this set up??

Thanks  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
not of uniform but played really hard with mine and didnt have any problems with it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the regular paddle CQC Serpa holster and like it a lot. I haven't seen or used the thigh rig but it should be decent. Probably better than most of the other stuff out there in it's price range. However, the Safariland 6004 and similar are in a different league, much more solid, but more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
BlackHawk Tac SERPA is a whole different animal than the concealment version. 10th Mountain Division just bought a bunch of them from a shop called Bradley's outside Ft. Drum, after testing them exhaustively. They are also in use by some of the SEAL teams, and I know at least SEAL Team 8 issues the concealment version of the SERPA on a MOLLE vest adapter plate for their Sig 226's.

I saw Todd Jarrett using the Tac SERPA at a 3-Gun match and it looked a heck of a of beefier than the concealment version. He was lightning-ass quick with it, but of course that's what he does.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys. The Dept. Issues Eagle tac rigs but reholstering with them is tough. We are trying to change this.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There is lots of negative feedback floating around lightfighter's forums on them. IIRC there were some people saying that AD's had been attributed to the release paddle positioning etc. In addition, I heard scuttlebutt about the release mechanism failing. Remember, I'm only talking second and third hand info here though. If you want more info head over there and do a search.

Having said that, I had one for a G19 and it worked perfect. I had no problems with retention, release, or rapid drawing. That was at a range for about 5 days and around the house though, not in field/stress conditions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
PBIR, you said "had" as in past tense...get rid of it?

I've tossed around getting one.  I'm a firearms instructor at the PD, and we require one active retention device (ie thumb snap or similar) on any holster carried by our plainclothes (detectives/narcs) officers on duty.  This rules out most kydex holsters, but I'm always looking at alternatives.  I guess I'm still a little hinky with the idea of the trigger finger being tasked to do anything other than pull the trigger, if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
PBIR, you said "had" as in past tense...get rid of it?

I did get rid of it, but only because I sold the sidearm.

I guess I'm still a little hinky with the idea of the trigger finger being tasked to do anything other than pull the trigger, if that makes any sense.

That is one of the chief complaints with the design from those that don't like it, and I see the point. If you believe that fine motor skills diminish under stress then it follows that actuating the release and indexing during a rapid draw might be a very real problem at the worst possible time. I've been pretty happy with Galco's holsters when it comes to retention systems for more urban environments. Maybe your plainclothes guys could check them out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top