Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:00 AM EDT
Anybody use any of these that have a keypad to access your bedside pistol. I'm trying to kid proof my home but also realize that having seperate guns & ammo is not good if I have an intruder. I guess a quick access lock box is best compramise.

Just curious what models are best.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a keypad pistol safe from Stack On but I wouldn't consider it quick access.  Before I had my carry permit I would just leave the safe open when I went to bed and then lock it when I woke up.  If you want a quick access safe you would probally be better off with a fingerprint access one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a MultiVault with double capacity.

It has a recessed area where 4 fingers fit and buttons at the end of each for your fingertips.

It is easy to open fast in the dark, and the door pops open on a spring. There is a key access if you forget the combo.

Totally worth the money. I don't have an issue with leaving guns out normally, due to my most excellent habitat...but when I do have family or friends over, when there is a party, and especially when there are kids, I put the long guns in the big safe, and keep a pistol or two in the MultiVault.

$200 is damn cheap insurance over some disaster where some friend of a friend at a party has a couple of beers and finds a pistol out in the open...or the worst of them all, friends come over with kids and they go exploring...

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
at night remove the gun from the safe.  Put it back in the morning.  If you have a carry permit, in the morning put your gun on, at night take it off.

I do not trust digital locks.  I had a stack on safe with a digital lock and the lock somehow forgot my combination and i couldn't get into the safe.  Lot of good that would have done me in an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of these (it’s built like a BSH), covered by a small hanging tapestry:

http://www.kcsafe.com/Handgun2.htm

I’m very seriously considering the long gun version for a closet as soon as my home remodeling is competed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was originally looking at one of these.

http://store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/sp-agv1000cstd.html

The original I beleive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Delete
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the Multi Vault.

I have the two level model and I keep my main carry gun, my pocket gun, extra mags and a Z2 in it.

It is bolted to a shelf just in case even though when I leave for an overnight what I don't take goes in the big safe.

With two little kids I need security and easy access, and this offers both.  I can open it in a few seconds in the dark and if the battery fails there is a key backup.

Well worth the money IMO.

Seydou
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top