Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:19:43 PM EDT
HSGI thigh rig for 1911 from SKD.  I'm very pleased with it so far.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
nice i want those pants in large regular!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool holster.  Still trying to decide between that or a Safariland 6004.

Speaking of the pants, what are they?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The pants are Propper digital cammo.  I don't know the exact name, but that's the brand.  The local surplus shop carries them.  

Here's another pic of the holster;

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The pants are Propper digital cammo.  I don't know the exact name, but that's the brand.  The local surplus shop carries them.  

Here's another pic of the holster;

www.huntingpictures.net/data/516/1139_05_001-med.jpg

Very nice.  Now they just need to start making those to fit the Surefire X200 in left hand.  

Hate being left handed sometimes!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Neat looking rig, lots of straps, looks pretty secure.

Now, please excuse my ignorance but, out of curiosity under what circumstances is that rig (or any thigh rig) practical? I just have to ask because, with all the frequent talk about drop leg thigh rigs, I often wonder under which scenario they would serve and how they are practical.

I used a drop leg rig (Safariland 6004) while I was on a Fulltime SWAT team.  They are very comfortable and INHO the best all around holster.  I can draw my weapon from virtually any position (ie Standing, sitting, prone, in a vehicle)

For civilians the holsters are a range / school only holster.  For me I am trying to get them approved through my department now with my BDUs.

- Go
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
AJohnston,  there are a lot of bears and wolves where I hunt.  I want to carry a pistol where it is out of the way and this seems to be the best way to do it.

A waist holster seems like it would get in the way of my other gear (when target shooting).  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]

For civilians the holsters are a range / school only holster.  For me I am trying to get them approved through my department now with my BDUs.

That is mostly what I was referring to, civilian use. Now I’m all for unfettered civilian access to arms and associated articles. But, every time I see or read a post about drop leg thigh rigs I always wonder why anyone (civilian) would spend money on one when I can hardly see how they are applicable in real life armed confrontations... and I have a pretty good imagination.

Maybe some of ARFCOM’s civilian owners of these rigs can comment.    

Cause I'm an extreamest in my hobbies?

Lets imagine for a moment (hypotheticly of course) that a natural disaster (like a hurricane) immobilized your entire area for several days.  Minimal food and water, no electricity, no help.  Lots of real bad people though!  Running around with their little gang wars.  Raping.  Killing innocent people.  Ya know, what bad people do.

My drop leg holster would'nt leave my leg.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
In that type of SHTf situation, I would rather have it out in the open vs. concealed.  I'm betting that people would continually fuck with you while CCW, vs. a .45 in sight on your leg.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
 Just an observation:
Why do some cops always try and look military?
 Also, last I checked,  cops are CIVILIANS too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Just an observation:
Why do some cops always try and look military?
 Also, last I checked,  cops are CIVILIANS too.

How is a drop leg holster looking like the military? I was in the military and never carried a drop leg holster.  I carried a drop leg holster for 4 years util changing departments.  

I would have to say that cops are not civilians but civil servants.  And if I carry a gun at work for work why shouldn't I be able to the best gera available to me?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
how well does it work having extra mags on your strong side? aside from the ability to have 2 extra JIC. i hope you carry more on your weak side.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
how well does it work having extra mags on your strong side? aside from the ability to have 2 extra JIC. i hope you carry more on your weak side.

For me it doesn't really seem like that big of a problem.  I have to bring my weak hand over to that side to load them anyway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Forget about the thigh rig and neat camo pants, I want to know where you got those tactical looking socks?  Are those special issue, who makes them, what sizes do they come in, any other colors?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Forget about the thigh rig and neat camo pants, I want to know where you got those tactical looking socks?  Are those special issue, who makes them, what sizes do they come in, any other colors?

They are standard issue for all Delta Force Generals.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's an idea.  Let everyone buy whatever they want, and don't question them if it's legal.

It's called TASTE.  I actually just bought a HSGI for my P99.  Should have it the end of the next week--and I got it w/o the flap like the original poster did.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Also, really what's the difference between leg and say belt?  About 8 inches?  If a person wants to carry a gun on their leg let them.  If they wanna carry it on their ankle, so be it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also, really what's the difference between leg and say belt?  About 8 inches?  If a person wants to carry a gun on their leg let them.  If they wanna carry it on their ankle, so be it!

After using this one a few times while hunting I'm sold.  The pistol sits right at the same level as my hand, no need to raise my arm up as I would with a belt holster.  This holster rules.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad to hear you like it.  Mine comes on Teusday.  Will take pics when she arrives!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure of any in the civilian world, but in law enforcement we use them when we wear out tactical vests due to the fact that the vest is worn outside of the uniform and overlaps the duty belt. This can block the weapon or cause problems drawing the weapon from a conventional belt duty holster.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
You should have got it in ACU pattern, then it would blend a little better
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice rig! looks more compfy than my safariland.  congrats on the new buy!

Ajohnston: i am a civilian but like the owner of this rig i go camping, hiking, fishing  and all that fun stuff in very remote areas. If i am wearing a backpack(a real one) for camping or day hiking or even the one for my camera equipment the belly strap would wrap AROUND the gun. and since i have my 1911 with me for most of the time im out there my safariland thigh rig is perfect!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top