Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:47 AM EDT
Ive heard so much shit talk on Blakhawk SERPA holster but after trying out quite a few (end very expensive ones)

SERPA IMO is the best 

I've drawn it hundreds of times and cant figure out how someone would pull the trigger un holstering their weapon

Now I have them only for Glocks

What say you ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You're trolling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had one, didn't really care too much for it. But I never had the trigger finger problem as I also had them for glocks, and on a 17 my hands just so happen to be big enough to rest on the front trigger guard. Again that's just personal experience, it might be different for people with slightly different anatomy. Maybe I'm slightly retarded,  who knows.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had one, didn't really care too much for it. But I never had the trigger finger problem as I also had them for glocks, and on a 17 my hands just so happen to be big enough to rest on the front trigger guard. Again that's just personal experience, it might be different for people with slightly different anatomy. Maybe I'm slightly retarded,  who knows.
View Quote
Enough people have had problems to show that it is a systemic issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're trolling.
View Quote
swear Im not 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Good for you if you do, but I find they stick out so far, and are so bulky. The thought is there, the design is not. Have you tried good leather or kydex?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The guy they hired to show how impossible it was to draw with the finger on the trigger, DREW WITH HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER in the promotional video
View Quote
Yes I have heard all about that but I have never had an issue. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
No one has an issue until they do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That should be on a t shirt. Nothing is a problem until it is.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Somewhere in the world there is a guy that likes having AIDS.

Don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That should be on a t shirt. Nothing is a problem until it is.
View Quote
Reminds me of how I drove when I was 18.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yay a SERPA thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe try this.

Safariland 7TS Holster With ALS Retention System Review (HD)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a Serpa for several years, no issues. Knew ahead of time some gravel or other foreign matter could render it inoperable, same can be said for almost all other retention holsters.

There are better designs out now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
neat but that thing is like three times the size of the SERPA 

Ill give one a try though
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
You get that Glock leg yet? haha

Honestly the SERPA is the cheapest Level 2 holster you can buy. And it works fine if you use it properly. It's a training issue for sure. Of course I know some local shooting ranges that have banned this holster due to accidents. I have one and never had an issue with it. But I generally recommend against it and tell people go with a higher quality holster with a release button in a better location such as the thumb release button type.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You get that Glock leg yet? haha

Honestly the SERPA is the cheapest Level 2 holster you can buy. And it works fine if you use it properly. It's a training issue for sure. Of course I know some local shooting ranges that have banned this holster due to accidents. I have one and never had an issue with it. But I generally recommend against it and tell people go with a higher quality holster with a release button in a better location such as the thumb release button type.
View Quote
Even well trained people in tiered SOF units have had trouble.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Serpa
View Quote
LoL damn, wasn't aware of the .gov jumping in on the Sarpa hate.

odd that most local gun stores have a whole wall of SERPA holsters if they cause so damn many problems. I've only used them with Glock guns. Was it Glocks that were having the issues or other makes?

My local store http://jimsgunwarehouse.com/ has a wall full of them 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#21]
They're dogshit holsters with weak belt mounts, very small amounts of debris lock them up, the retention location is unsafe, and they're easy to rip apart in gun grab scenarios.

The safariland ALS system is a thousand times better, more reliable, and not much more money.

Just because gun shops sell them and people buy them, does not make them a good holster
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

odd that most local gun stores have a whole wall of SERPA holsters if they cause so damn many problems. I've only used them with Glock guns. Was it Glocks that were having the issues or other makes?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serpa

Jims is a big shop, with a large selection...   they still have some crap products- as do most gun stores.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They're dogshit holsters with weak belt mounts, very small amounts of debris lock them up, the retention location is unsafe, and they're easy to rip apart in gun grab scenarios.

The safariland ALS system is a thousand times better, more reliable, and not much more money.

Just because gun shops sell them and people buy them, does not make them a good holster
View Quote
That is one I haven't had the opportunity to try.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Call it "Serpa hate" if you want, but it's a very well done study that proves that the Serpa is fundamentally unsafe. FLETC and a number of big-name non-government schools have banned the Serpa. The Safariland ALS is a vastly superior system and is readily available.

Choose what you want. Makes no matter to me. I've banned the Serpa on my department range.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#26]
For an around the house carry holster, they are fine, where the gun spends a lot of time in the holster.
I wish they made them for the 4" S&W K/L frame revolvers.
Would have been nice if they made it for the P7 series HK guns also, that are top heavy, and sometimes hard to retain.
For semi autos w/o a manual safety of some kind, especially those pre-cocked striker fired models, it worries me a little.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I use them for several guns and I like them. Then again, I only use them when hunting as a sidearm, so basically never have to use my pistol. I am not LEO, MIL, etc. If I was, I would use the Safariland which I also have and use. Huge difference between them Safariland being on top. But like I said, mine us not used for any competition or CCW or anything that I need to rapidly draw.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Um... Not to be a complete dick. But if you're not familiar with Safariland ALS maybe you aren't qualified to make a determination about what constitutes a quality holster.
View Quote
Just haven't been able to get my hands on one for the particular gun Im carrying at the time. 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just haven't been able to get my hands on one for the particular gun Im carrying at the time. 
View Quote
What gun are you currently carrying? I can promise you that the Safariland ALS system is 1000 times better and infinitely safer. I've carried one on duty for 3 years now. It's gone over fences, been in car crashes, taken extremely hard landings, been in numerous fights with it, etc.

It is the only retention holster I will use on duty. My dept issues a different retention holster that gets tossed in my locker and doesn't even come out of the packaging
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ive heard so much shit talk on Blakhawk SERPA holster but after trying out quite a few (end very expensive ones)

SERPA IMO is the best 

I've drawn it hundreds of times and cant figure out how someone would pull the trigger un holstering their weapon

Now I have them only for Glocks

What say you ARFCOM?
View Quote

Junk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What gun are you currently carrying? I can promise you that the Safariland ALS system is 1000 times better and infinitely safer. I've carried one on duty for 3 years now. It's gone over fences, been in car crashes, taken extremely hard landings, been in numerous fights with it, etc.

It is the only retention holster I will use on duty. My dept issues a different retention holster that gets tossed in my locker and doesn't even come out of the packaging
View Quote
Right now I carry a Glock 30S. 

There is a local shop near me that has a bunch of ALS holsters in stock now and gonna go try one out 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're trolling.
View Quote
This.  Quit feeding the troll.

They're banned from most instructor courses for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#33]
If you like your Serpa you can keep your Serpa
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Um... Not to be a complete dick. But if you're not familiar with Safariland ALS maybe you aren't qualified to make a determination about what constitutes a quality holster.
View Quote
^
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#35]
The ALS is a much better system. I got a duty type holster with ALS for my P09.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top