Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2016 6:42:10 PM EDT
Considering a a volund g hook, or ares ranger.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
As gear belts, either is fine.  As CCW?  waaayyy to easily 'made' by anyone with any experience.

It's like asking which ccw pants, 5.11, Kitanica, Helikon,  or what?

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Being "made" by what belt or pants you're wearing is a ridiculous argument. No one is paying attention, if they are and your shirt is tucked in, your IWB clips will make you before your belt does. Besides, anyone whose first impression when they see a non-leather belt is "gun!" You needn't worry about them anyways because they have a gun too and are just like you.

I had a Volund cobra belt, worked well for IWB, flexible enough to conform to the holster and my oblong shaped body. The Ares to me has always looked uncomfortable because it holds such a perfect circle and my body is by no means a perfect circle haha. But I have no experience with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As gear belts, either is fine.  As CCW?  waaayyy to easily 'made' by anyone with any experience.

It's like asking which ccw pants, 5.11, Kitanica, Helikon,  or what?

View Quote

I get where you are coming from.  I thought the volund might not be screaming "I have a gun" as it doesn't have the batman buckle.  I don't wear tucked in shirts and my belt won't show.  I normally wear a pseudo riggers belt that I got from re for hiking that is comfortable i, http://www.rei.com/product/805213/bison-designs-last-chance-belt it's not sturdy enough to carry with.  Looking for something that will be sturdy and not overly  Commandoish.  The wilderness instructors belt is similar...thinking about that too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Atlas G hook, I like it, as far as screaming gun, it's more silver adorned belts that scream gun along with cowboy hat and boots around these parts.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my G-hook.  It's hidden under an untucked shirt.  If it screams out to anyone that I'm wearing a gun, I suspect the gun and holster sticking out from my waistband would be screaming it just as loudly.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at an Ares Aegis.  Great belt that's easier on and off than a ranger belt and less tactical looking.
Rock solid though.

Between the two in the OP, I'd lean towards the G-hook, it's just physically lower profile
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got Volund belts with the g hook, and cobra buckle. I rarely use the g hook belt. It conceals better, but for daily activities where undoing a belt is needed, cobra buckle is much easier.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Stormrider Gear!! Find them on facebook. A little bit of a wait but worth it. Very inexpensive, looks good, no giant I'm super tactical man with my cobra buckle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Wilderness with titanium buckle. Great belt!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take a look at an Ares Aegis.  Great belt that's easier on and off than a ranger belt and less tactical looking.
Rock solid though.

Between the two in the OP, I'd lean towards the G-hook, it's just physically lower profile
View Quote

Looked at the ares aegis and it's pretty sweet, but dang $$$110 plus shipping? It's over double the wilderness and volund.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Ares Ranger Belt and I wear it pretty much everyday. Very comfortable and supportive. However, I have no experience with the other belt. Like others have said though, I think if I were to buy another gun belt, I would probably choose the Aegis or one of the leather gun belts for more "dressed up" carry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looked at the ares aegis and it's pretty sweet, but dang $$$110 plus shipping? It's over double the wilderness and volund.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rock solid though.

Worth every penny. I've been wearing the Aegis every day for well over a year and it still looks new. Very, very durable, comfortable, holds everything I ask it to hold.

Perfect belt, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Being "made" by what belt or pants you're wearing is a ridiculous argument. No one is paying attention, if they are and your shirt is tucked in, your IWB clips will make you before your belt does. Besides, anyone whose first impression when they see a non-leather belt is "gun!" You needn't worry about them anyways because they have a gun too and are just like you.

I had a Volund cobra belt, worked well for IWB, flexible enough to conform to the holster and my oblong shaped body. The Ares to me has always looked uncomfortable because it holds such a perfect circle and my body is by no means a perfect circle haha. But I have no experience with it.
View Quote

This guy gets it. Including the the part about the ares belt. It is not comfortable at all and it's heavy.

My vote goes for the Volund G Hook. I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#14]
G-hook. Flat, lightweight. Easy to feed through belt loops. In fact, when I carry AIWB, I hook the belt at noon then slide the hook to the 10 o'clock position giving me a flat belly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I would vote Ares Gear Aegis Belt.

But I don't actually have one yet.  They are currently out of the Bronze buckles & expect an almost 6 month wait until they arrive.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Depends on IWB or OWB. I've had both, and still have the Volund, and for me the Ares Gear is way better for OWB because it's quite a bit stiffer. The Volund is better for IWB because it's a little flexible which is nice for that role. I don't like the Volund for OWB because it's too flexible for my taste.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Ares Ranger and have been wearing it for a couple of years now. It has held up. I would like an Aegis, but I just don't have the funds for one right now.

I'm not overly concerned about the look of it because I always wear an untucked shirt. No one can see it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the Atlas G hook and for Ccw it's stiffer than it needs to be.
Their Atlas G hook slim belt may be a more comfortable option.
I'm going to try one myself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I ended up with an aegis picked up one from there s&d sale. It's perfect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the Atlas G hook and for Ccw it's stiffer than it needs to be.
Their Atlas G hook slim belt may be a more comfortable option.
I'm going to try one myself.
View Quote

I have one and its very comfortable. I especially like that it doesn't have a wide buckle to dig into me. I've been wearing one for 2 or 3 years every day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I know you already picked your belt, but I have an SOE EDC Low Profile Belt (say what you will about their business practices, but their products are solid) and love it. It's very similar to the Atlas G-Hook, but they're currently running a 25% off sale. At that price, I'd say it's worth picking one up just to have. Depending on what I'm wearing, I switch between the SOE belt and the Magpul Original Tejas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top