Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 7:24:26 PM EDT
Hi guys!

I just recently purchased an M&P Shield 9mm. The gun is nothing short of awesome.

The problem is that I need a comfortable way to carry it.

In the past I have carried Glock 19's and 26's in MTAC and Crossbreed Super Tuck holsters REASONABLY comfortably. Of course being a slimmer gun the M&P Shield will print less than the Glocks in similar style holsters.

Yesterday I bought a Galco King Tuk and am carrying the Shield in it at this very moment. It is not that comfortable. The weight of the gun still bothers me, it is hard to keep my pants on straight and the texture on the grip rubs into my back.

I have ordered a Galco Stow n Go for appendix carry but I am still not sure that this will be the best answer.

Can someone PLEASE recommend an all the way around, comfortable carry system for my Shield? I am tired of sending a lot of money on holsters that do not always work out.

P.S.

Yes I am wearing a Galco pistol belt.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the degree of cant you carry?

What position on the belt line do you carry?

How tight is the belt?

What is your build?

I have never heard of an issue regarding the weight on the Shield. This is interesting...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 5 "8", 150, pretty average build

I am carrying the King Tuk at factor setting which is just a very slight cant.

I am carrying in the small of my back on the right side.

The belt is about as tight as I wear it without a gun.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
SOB carry isn't exactly optimal by any means. Slow to draw from, impossible to draw on the ground.

I suggest carrying appendix, right at the 12:30/1:00 position or 4:00 positions.

Appendix carry should have zero cant. Now once you get past 3:00, the degree of cant becomes important in concealing the grip. If the cant is neutral or Zero, the WILL stick out of your shirt. Try 15 degrees to 25 degree cant.

Do not go past 4:30 position. Draws become much slower no matter how much you practice.

Try Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 for appendix, It's cheap and minimalistic.

Anything Dale Fricke.

Just to name a few VERY reputable Kydex makers. Not all Kydex are created equal...
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
N82 is super comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a N82 Tactical Pro Series IWB holster for my Shield and it's so comfortable I fall asleep on the couch wearing it.

N82 Tactical Pro Series Holster
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
N82 Tactical Pro Series

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
For a sub compact I would go simple .

Leather Milt Sparks SS or Kydex built like it. or AIWB but that's up to you.

I carry compact pistols and haven't had any issues using these types of fold over  IWB.

I prefer a Zero Cant or Straight Drop when using compact pistol with a height  5.4 and under.

I would never cant a sub compact pistol. but that's me plus I carry  mainly at 3:00 /3:30  and sometimes AIWB.

BTW If you carry 5-5:30 you may want a holster like the crossbreed

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
IWB Kydex can be worn appendix, on hip, or behind the hip.

Non-tuckable:

Tuckable, with microsuede overwrap.

www.nickydex.com
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Maybe it's me but the trigger area should never be a point of retention. That just looks like a bad thing waiting to happen but it could just be the pictures.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe it's me but the trigger area should never be a point of retention. That just looks like a bad thing waiting to happen but it could just be the pictures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most retention holsters I've ever seen use the trigger guard as the (a) retention point.  What else do they grab onto?

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The guard yes, not the trigger itself. What I'm referring to is how the trigger itself is so clearly molded when most holster makers will block that completely out and at most have a dimple just before the edge of the guard as an additional retention point.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I got you.  I think it's just the picture.  I'll try to get a better pic on one of mine tomorrow unless 5nolans has one available.

The shells have a dimple with a sharp ledge that ramps down to level with the part that covers the trigger.  On mine at least, the ramp is of negligible height long before it gets close to the trigger.

A bigger bitch would be the uni-directional twist to draw.  It's natural and easy for me but I've heard of others who needed some practice to get htx muscle memory ingrained.

The non pro models have no retention (elastic instead of shell) and are just as comfy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#13]
First start off with a good belt like the Wilderness Instructor Belt, preferably the five-stitch model. I love the MTAC and would use that at about 3:30-4:00 if you're right handed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Tt gunleather or milt sparks. You won't feel a thing! Both are very similar designs. I've fallen asleep in mine and they are amazing!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there is a specific Tt gunleather holsters that you would recommend?

I have Wilderness instructor belts for some reason they made my MTAC holsters feel LESS comfortable, not more so.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
#1 Get a good belt
#2 Get a good AIWB holster, not a shitty Galco one.  Something from a good maker like CCC, JM, etc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't mean any offense and maybe I am completely wrong but I don't see how bare, hard kydex could possibly be comfortable for appendix carry, or any IWB carry. I would think bending over would be an issue too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is there is a specific Tt gunleather holsters that you would recommend?

I have Wilderness instructor belts for some reason they made my MTAC holsters feel LESS comfortable, not more so.
View Quote

Depends on you. The Mike's Special reinforced is basically identical to the Milt Sparks holsters. Arguably some of the very best holsters are the market, and hence the long waits on them.

With that said, waits on TT Gunleather is normally 6-8 weeks. Milt sparks is something like 10-16 weeks.

BUT you can check the EE. There's some TT holsters there now. Save some cash and time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I don't mean any offense and maybe I am completely wrong but I don't see how bare, hard kydex could possibly be comfortable for appendix carry, or any IWB carry. I would think bending over would be an issue too.
View Quote

That is why I offer micro suede wraps for IWB Kydex Holsters.

Most people will wear some type of under shirt so the kydex only is not much of an issue.

Additionally, there is a newer trend, using a "suede" kydex.  It has a very smooth finish instead of the grainy texture most commonly seen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my JM Custom kydex I just got in. I ordered an IWB holster with straight drop. I wear it for appendix carry and slide it around to the 3:00 position when sitting or performing certain tasks.

Yes, I need to lose some weight.

With my shirt, you can't see it at all.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Desaintis Cozy partner for IWB, I've carried IWB for over 30 years and Kydex just sucks compared to leather for comfort. I tried appendix carry for about 1 day, I'm not over weight, but that just is not comfortable when sitting or driving. 4:00 carry for me. A Bianchi 101 Foldaway for OWB is excellent, very minimal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Bianchi 101 Foldaway looks exactly what I am looking for in an OWB holster!

I had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I have a n82 pro and a Foxx Hybrid (very much like your KingTuk, Crossbreed, whatever). I carry a G26, so a bit heavier and bulkier than your shield. Here's my .02 on the holsters.

When I first got my n82 I hated it. It felt like it was sliding down my backside all of the time and just wasn't all that comfortable. It printed more than I liked and it felt stiff with the polycarbonate mold for the gun. Enter the Foxx hybrid, I thought that dual clips and spreading the weight out over my belt would help keep my pants up, nope it didn't at all.

I labored on with the Foxx though, it concealed really well and I started trying different carry positions, about 4:30 is what ended up working for me to keep my pants up. The bottom of the holster catches the top of my right butt cheek. This was alright until the summer started and the temperature started to climb. When I get sweaty the polymer handle of my G26 irritated my skin and it's too damned hot for an undershirt. I would have a rash for literally an hour after taking the holster off from the grip and while it was holstered it was rather uncomfortable to say the least.

So I decided I'd try the n82 again, it covers the handle so no part of the gun is touching my skin. I moved it back to 4:30 and I noticed my pants weren't falling down anymore, in fact, my pants were staying in place better than with the Foxx. Strange... So I kept carrying, as I sweated the holster really molded to my body quickly and it become super comfy. The only issue was that the polycarbonate is thicker than kydex and it is off of the gun a bit adding even more thickness (the only place that really touches the gun is the trigger guard) so my beltman belt was just too tight when sitting (and I spend most of my day sitting). My wilderness belts always sucked for me so I picked up a Volund Gearworks Atlas Cobra belt and bam it was perfect.

So now my ideal carry system is my Volund belt with my n82 at 4:30. The print is about the same as with the Foxx in that position and I can wear it all day, hot, cold, sitting, standing, walking, running in total comfort. I do notice the gun is there, but it's not at all uncomfortable.

Part of the issue with the KingTuk IMO is the smooth back to it. There is nothing to grip and this is the same of unlined Kydex. It will slip if your belt isn't tight (yes I did have an all kydex holster so real world experience). The N82 uses suede on the back which does grip like rough-out leather but is softer on the skin.

Yes, I can get a full firing grip on the gun on the draw. It does take some getting use to shoving your thumb inbetween the grip and the holster and that lil twist takes some getting use to as well. However with some dry fire practice you can get it down to where you're just as fast as coming out of a kydex holster.

The glock is still heavy, there is no changing that, and your shield is the same way, you can't change the weight of the gun (well a bit with lighter rounds), it is what it is. I'm looking for a lighter weight gun right now anyways, but haven't found one with the reputation of the Glock reliability, but that's a story for a different day. When I do pick a lighter gun I'll pick up a N82 for it too. IWB isn't as comfy as OWB, but with a set up that works for you it can get really damn close.

For your reference, I'm 6'0 / 215 with some love handles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top