Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2012 9:03:06 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a kydex holster and will also get a double mag holder. I will be getting these from Bravo Concealment and their site lists left/right side options but both state that rounds are facing forward.

I was wondering what some pros/cons of both front/aft are to help me decide. I would go and just shoot and have some thing to act as a mag holder and try both but I am currently deployed and don't have my gun. Any help would be apreciated. And sorry if there is a topic like this already I looked and googled to no avail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Spare PISTOL magazines should sit in their carrier with the bullets facing FORWARDS (i.e. towards your belt buckle).

With RIFLE magazines I prefer the bullets face BACKWARDS (i.e. towards my butt).
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people,  myself included  prefer them to face forward.

When you grab the mag from the pouch it is easier to index your pointer finger along the front of the mag.
This allows you to load without looking.  Sort of the way you find your nose without looking.

I'm sure there is video on youtube somewhere showing this technique.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most people,  myself included  prefer them to face forward.

When you grab the mag from the pouch it is easier to index your pointer finger along the front of the mag.
This allows you to load without looking.  Sort of the way you find your nose without looking.

I'm sure there is video on youtube somewhere showing this technique.

This for me. It is more natural since the bullets will end up facing forward the gun when your hand rotates up to position.

I also prefer my AR mags that way for the same reason. Some folks prefer bullets backwards or the "beer can" grip and truth be told on an AR it works either way. Most folks are going to run their handgun spare mags bullets forward.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullets facing back in handguns and rifles both.

I have practiced reloading this way for so long I don't want to start over doing it a new way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Forwards - always.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Pistol mag rounds = forwards...always. Theres a reason why the top shooters in nation do that.

Rifle mag, it's personal preference. Forward or backward depending on your grip
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input. I will order them fwd.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Forwards - always.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have practiced reloading this way for so long I don't want to start over doing it a new way.

So, when you reach for a handgun reload, are you having to rotate your hand to index along the front of the mag? How are you grabbing the mag?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, when you reach for a handgun reload, are you having to rotate your hand to index along the front of the mag? How are you grabbing the mag?

It is the same hand rotation movement as drawing a handgun from a holster strong side at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pistol mag rounds = forwards...always. Theres a reason why the top shooters in nation do that.

Rifle mag, it's personal preference. Forward or backward depending on your grip

This guy ^
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting I've never even given any thought as to which way the bullets face before now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top