Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:15:49 AM EDT
I bought a safariland 6378 for my Sig P229 SAS recently.  I love how the paddle fits my hip and the mechanism for releasing the handgun.  My only issue with the holster is its really tight still.  I put my Sig in the holster and left it holstered for a couple days to stretch it a bit and it has helped.  I still have trouble holstering the gun and getting the lock to engage.  If I forcefully push the gun in it'll latch in but if I just place it in it will not latch.  In Safariland's videos on their website their demo holsters look much looser.  What adjustments can I make to fix this?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the ALS and ALS/SLS hosters, but they do neet a little break in, in my experience mostly to knock down seams and edges on the interior that catch on sharp edges of the gun.

A few minutes of drawing drills a day will have that holster smooth as can be. My G21 drops right in to my 6360, no downward pressure required.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You may also want to play with the tension adjustment screw, on the side of the holster. It may be cranked down tight.

And yeah, the ALS holsters need a short break in to smooth out the lining. They get better with age.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You may also want to play with the tension adjustment screw, on the side of the holster. It may be cranked down tight.

And yeah, the ALS holsters need a short break in to smooth out the lining. They get better with age.

I have that screw so loose that it rattles when the gun is out of the holster, but just a little tight when the gun is holstered.  I practiced drawing and shooting at the range for about an hour today, it is getting looser.  I think in the next week or two I'll have it as loose as I want it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that screw so loose that it rattles when the gun is out of the holster, but just a little tight when the gun is holstered.  I practiced drawing and shooting at the range for about an hour today, it is getting looser.  I think in the next week or two I'll have it as loose as I want it.

You can also stick your gun inside a thin sock or plastic bag and place it in the holster for a couple days.

Some folks have advocated spraying the inside of the holster (the suede lining) with silicone spray. I do the opposite: I use a silicone gun cloth to wipe my pistols down at least once a week. Over time, that silicone will transfer to the suede lining and make for a slick draw. YMMV, just a couple more thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top