Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2010 11:09:22 AM EDT
So I just bought a Ruger Lcp .380 and I'm trying to decide what ammo to use in it for defense. In my AR15 and Glock19 I use Hornaday Tap FPD      I have been reading that Hornadays critical defense is a great round for .380s but it's really hard to find. Cabelas offers TAP in 380. So is there a big difference between the two rounds
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends upon what you are looking for.

Hornady's XTP bullet, used in the TAP-FPD load is a tougher bullet design, offering only moderate expansion and deep penetration.

Hornady's Critical Defense load uses the FTX bullet which has proven to be more "fragile" and therefore more likely to offer expansion even under less than optimal circumstances. Penetration, what there is of it, will be mitigated to some extent by the deccelerative forces created by the bullet's expansion.

Then, there is 90/95 FMJ @ 950-1,000 fps which will largely guarantee penetration without expansion as well as functioning in even the finickiest action.

Many trade-offs, compromises and factors to consider.

Your choice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I just bought a Ruger Lcp .380 and I'm trying to decide what ammo to use in it for defense. In my AR15 and Glock19 I use Hornaday Tap FPD      I have been reading that Hornadays critical defense is a great round for .380s but it's really hard to find. Cabelas offers TAP in 380. So is there a big difference between the two rounds

get ready to be told the 380 is a horrible back up. (There are better picks)

I wouldnt use 380 as a main carry or a back up .
But since you already have a 380 for a back up.   ITS BETTER THAN NO BACK UP AT ALL !!

I would go FMJ or DPX if corbon loads it

I do agree the 380 can kill

I dont want to turn this thread to you should of bought a Jframe( wich I belive in)
Since you already have the 380

I do suggest you use it only as a back up only !   and use a Main carry That meets FBI specs check out the Dr. above

A back up in any caliber is better than nothing

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The .380 is a horrible back-up, and there are better picks.

1st!
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The .380 is a horrible back-up, and there are better picks.

must be on a macro or some thing.  My Glock 19 is going to be my primary carry gun but there are times when I just wont be able to carry that. I have TAP in my AR15 and Glock from what I've read and seen they are good self defense rounds and I wasnt sure what the difference was between  TAP and Critical defense. There is another thread that is currently bashing on 380s
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no .380 hater. I'm actually in the market for one if I could just find reasonably priced factory ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of love on this board for the ole .380  .

Well, someone is buying this round.  Actually, I'd say a lot of people are.  Doesn't make it good, but it's obviously selling guns and ammo.  

I was at Fin Feather and Fur in central OH last week and noticed Winchester has jumped into the .380 fray with their PDX1 line.  Interesting verbiage on the back of the box.  I know, they're just trying to sell ammo.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top