Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2010 5:57:58 PM EDT
So I was cooking dinner tonight and I kept hearing a banging in the dryer.  Ended up finding my speed strip and extra carry rounds.    I can hear the powder in each round when I shake them.  

My question...do you think the rounds are safe to shoot?  I'm not going to carry them anymore but I'm trying to figure out it its safe to kill paper with them or if I should throw them off the pier on my way to work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to shoot them, no harm trying.

I washed a spare mag full of 9mm a couple years ago and they all ran like new. Like you said, don't rely on them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ammo is for the most part waterproof.  They will all go bang just fine.  (I'd still rotate them out just in case, better safe than sorry)
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
To be safe I would dispose of them. I know they may be just fine but I do like to err on the side of safety. So I would recommend not using them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To be safe I would dispose of them. I know they may be just fine but I do like to err on the side of safety. So I would recommend not using them.

There is nothing wrong with "using" the ammo next time he goes to the range.  I wouldn't "carry" this ammo for PD uses (just in case).  But it won't hurt anything to use it up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations.  I can hopefully shoot it later this week and I'll be sure to let you know if anything interesting happen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
shot them...all went bang without a problem.  even captured one in some milk jugs.  Thanks again for all the advice

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What round is that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
critical defense in .38spl
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I once washed and dried a lone 30-30 round.  It shot just fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
critical defense in .38spl

Did they fix there primmer issue yet? I bought a box, then a week later read a few post where some primers wouldn't ignite. I still have the rounds, just switched to G.D's for the mean time cause I am not sure if I can trust them just yet. Just a heads up
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a washed .380 hang fire before.  When it went it sounded like a black powder pistol.  Hit 9" lower than the rest of the rounds that had remained intact.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the same thing happen, speed strip bangin around in the dryer.
By the time I discovered it, all of the semi-jacketed hollowpoints were mashed round, except for the one that came completely out of the case!
I was impressed that the cases all stayed in the speed strip.
I didnt fire them, just tossed them out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice picture.  Looks like it did what it was supposed to even after a little maytag action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top