Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 12:58:41 AM EDT

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Accurate, don't expand very much, lots of penetration.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found them to be very accurate and reliable, but from what I've read they are best reserved for hunting 4 legged critters rather than self defense because of excessive penetration and inferior expansion.

I know for a fact that they will kill pigs dead though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The 124gr .357 Sig XTP bullet violently expands and throws fragments ["frag-nasty"] in a radial 4-5" cone-shaped pattern just like the ol' 125gr SJHP .357 Magnum loads from Federal, R-P and W-W.

According to calibrated ballistics gel, it penetrates approximately 14"~14-1/2"

Overall the XTP is still a viable choice, but better choices are available..
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Good ammo and very accurate.

Here's some gelatin test:
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
As loaded in the 230gr. +P TAP version they have been very accurate out of my FNP-45.

If you have read the self defense ammo section in the sticky here it would appear that the .44 Mag loading of this bullet may be the best self defense round in that caliber.

Another plus of this bullet is that they are generally very function friendly in autoloaders.

Now the Gold Dot lovers will be here soon to say that the Gold Dot is better for self defense.  But IMHO that is like saying that a 150mm howitzer is better for blowing up cars than a 105, when both will do the job.  I have seen this behavior before in the world of high end audio.  The newer component, in some people's eyes, automatically makes the old one totally unacceptable.  Which is rubbish of course, as the older ones capabilities have not changed in the least.

Ah, I think I hear them coming now...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree with Blitz.  And as the gelatin test demonstrate, it doesn't penetrate as much as some will lead you to beleive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As loaded in the 230gr. +P TAP version they have been very accurate out of my FNP-45.

If you have read the self defense ammo section in the sticky here it would appear that the .44 Mag loading of this bullet may be the best self defense round in that caliber.

Another plus of this bullet is that they are generally very function friendly in autoloaders.

Now the Gold Dot lovers will be here soon to say that the Gold Dot is better for self defense.  But IMHO that is like saying that a 150mm howitzer is better for blowing up cars than a 105, when both will do the job.  I have seen this behavior before in the world of high end audio.  The newer component, in some people's eyes, automatically makes the old one totally unacceptable.  Which is rubbish of course, as the older ones capabilities have not changed in the least.

Ah, I think I hear them coming now...

I think the main gripe I have about the XTP is when heavy clothing gets in the mix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top