Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2009 1:55:21 PM EDT
Anyone have any test data on the dillion 9x25 and kevlar penatration. it seems as though the 95gr .355 fmj traveling at 2000fps wouldnt have any difficulty getting throught a level 2 or a level 3a vest for that matter.  Kinda seems like more of a threat than the over hyped 5.7.

Double tap specs on dillion ammo
Caliber : 9X25
Bullet : 95gr. FMJ
Ballistics : 2000fps / 844 ft. lbs.

New jersey standard.  
level 2 vest.... 9 mm FMJ, at ~1,175 fps
level 3a vest.. 9 mm FMJ at ~1,400 fps (e.g., sub-machine-gun velocity)

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote yes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure it would go through. Someone should send Old_Painless the gun and ammo for a test!
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am absolutely certain that it would go through II and am fairly certain that it would go through IIIA.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It probably would go through, but why would it be "more of a threat" than 5.7?  How many guns have been manufactured and sold that are chambered for 9x25?  How many gun stores can you walk into and buy 9x25 ammo?

They typical thug that shoots a cop obtains his weapon illegally.  He doesn't go out and buy one specifically because he knows there's a 9x25 conversion available, and the chances of him stealing one that's been converted are, I'm willing to bet, statistically so small as to be non existent. If I was a street cop I'd be far more worried about facing a stolen milsurp pistol in 7.62x25 than either 5.7 or 9x25.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It probably would go through, but why would it be "more of a threat" than 5.7?  How many guns have been manufactured and sold that are chambered for 9x25?  How many gun stores can you walk into and buy 9x25 ammo?

They typical thug that shoots a cop obtains his weapon illegally.  He doesn't go out and buy one specifically because he knows there's a 9x25 conversion available, and the chances of him stealing one that's been converted are, I'm willing to bet, statistically so small as to be non existent. If I was a street cop I'd be far more worried about facing a stolen milsurp pistol in 7.62x25 than either 5.7 or 9x25.  

All three calibers are highly unlikely to be faced on the street.  this wasnt that type of conversation, we all know that thugs on the street be packin their NINE'S, forties, thurty eights, foty fives,  and whatever they can steal.. This was to say that The bullet is all around more powerfull than the 5.7x28 in every manner yet I have never herd anyone mention it as a handgun round penatrating body armor for that matter.  It is more of a threat than a five seven because of its sheer size and weight. the only 5.7 bullets designed to go through level II body armor weigh 32 grns and they are only sold to leo and millitary now etc etc etc there is a company called elite ammo that suposedly sells ammo that will perform like ss190 but who knows... Anyone that owns a glock 10mm can buy a dillion barrel and ammo! nuff said..
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Regular SS195 (civie 5.7x28) goes through Level II vests.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

All three calibers are highly unlikely to be faced on the street.  this wasnt that type of conversation, we all know that thugs on the street be packin their NINE'S, forties, thurty eights, foty fives,  and whatever they can steal.. This was to say that The bullet is all around more powerfull than the 5.7x28 in every manner yet I have never herd anyone mention it as a handgun round penatrating body armor for that matter.  It is more of a threat than a five seven because of its sheer size and weight. the only 5.7 bullets designed to go through level II body armor weigh 32 grns and they are only sold to leo and millitary now etc etc etc there is a company called elite ammo that suposedly sells ammo that will perform like ss190 but who knows... Anyone that owns a glock 10mm can buy a dillion barrel and ammo! nuff said..

I don't have a clue what any of the above means, so I'll just say "Good luck with that" and move on.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a clue what any of the above means, so I'll just say "Good luck with that" and move on.

Seriously It is what it is, I just started a tread interested in kevlar penatration on the 9x25 dillion because I have never seen one, yet I have heard untill the cows come home about the little 5.7x28 and how it can shoot right through vests and so on... The above more or less stated that the dillion travels at around the same velocity as lighter 5.7 rounds, It has 2-3 times the weight projectile wise and about 2.5 times the ft lbs of energy. I Would like someone with a dillion to chime in on its performance..
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea all you would have to do is get a glock 10mm with a new 9x25 barrel and some double tap ammo and be zipping thru vests in no time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea all you would have to do is get a glock 10mm with a new 9x25 barrel and some double tap ammo and be zipping thru vests in no time.

thats not were I wanted to go
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All three calibers are highly unlikely to be faced on the street.  

I know of only two police shootings involving bad guys armed with 5.7 handguns so far. One was in Mission viejo California. I believe the other was in Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The Tokarev round is hard to stop.

I remember years back Arnt telling me that he had worked with Safariland to design a vest for Hong Kong Police (still under British rule) with the specific intention of stopping the Tokarev round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top