Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2008 7:03:18 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting some more Speer Gold Dots ($25.95 per box of 50).  But I found some Federal HST for a little bit less ($22.95 per box of 50).  I don't know much about the HST.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#1]
both are top performers

pick the one that runs reliably in your gun
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
both are top performers

pick the one that runs reliably in your gun

This answer.  Both are great rounds and will do the job.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I use HST more than GD because HST is cheaper and performs as well or better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you everyone!  That is what I needed to know as I haven't actually shot either of them yet.  I know, I need to.  I will set up a little comparision of both of them when I get the HST in.

Do you think I should use wet phone books?  Will that be enough to make them expand?

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you everyone!  That is what I needed to know as I haven't actually shot either of them yet.  I know, I need to.  I will set up a little comparision of both of them when I get the HST in.

Do you think I should use wet phone books?  Will that be enough to make them expand?

Get six 1-gallon milk jugs, fill them with H2O, arrange them in a straight line and then shoot straight into them. The bullet should expand very well and should be resting at the bottom of one of the last jugs.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get six 1-gallon milk jugs, fill them with H2O, arrange them in a straight line and then shoot straight into them. The bullet should expand very well and should be resting at the bottom of one of the last jugs.  

Thanks.  I am going to have fun with this.  The HST is on the way.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Both are great, my Smith likes the Gold Dot better so that's what I shoot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah my 1911 likes the Federal HST so that's what i use.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
meh......go with remington golden sabres
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
meh......go with remington golden sabres, they spin when you shoot em'
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They also loose their jackets (a lot) [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I run FED HST.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Gold Dots...nice uniform expansion
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#14]
They will both do the job if you do your part.  I may have missed it, but what cal are we talking about??  I use GD in 9mm, but HST in 40sw, because of that is what I can get the best deal on in case lots.

FB
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They will both do the job if you do your part.  I may have missed it, but what cal are we talking about??  I use GD in 9mm, but HST in 40sw, because of that is what I can get the best deal on in case lots.

FB

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They all spin when you shoot them

HST!  Bigger, sharper, and cheaper.
Take care
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all spin when you shoot them

HST!  Bigger, sharper, and cheaper.
Take care

LoL

Gold Dot or HST? Neither!

Ranger T for me...Why? Big expansion, sharpest of all, same price as GD + HST

Ranger Talon adds an additional wounding mechanism: cutting.

When Ranger Talon expands, its copper jacket peels back to form six sharp claws. These claws protrude outward just slightly beyond the smooth outer edges of the mushroom-shaped lead core shoulder.

Upon impact with flesh Ranger Talon performs identical to conventional hollowpoint bullets. However, as it penetrates and slows it does not suffer a decrease in effective bullet diameter. This is because tissue that stretches and flows around the smooth shoulder of the mushroom-shaped lead core comes into contact with the sharp copper jacket claws and is lacerated.

These lacerations contribute little to overall wound severity.

However, if Ranger Talon happens to pass very close to a major cardiovascular structure, instead of merely shoving it aside as it passes by, one of the six claws might be in position to cut the wall of this structure to cause profuse bleeding.

This additional cutting mechanism gives Ranger Talon the potential to be approximately 3% to 5% more effective than other expanding bullets of the same caliber. In one out of every 20-30 shootings, Ranger Talon might make a difference.

This very slight advantage could be just enough to save the life of a police officer [or civvie!] who has to shoot a psychotic, enraged or chemically intoxicated attacker who is oblivious to being shot

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm#Black-Talon

fwiw - Golden Sabers lose their jackets at the end, or towards the end of bullet travel.  I still use 'em..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top