Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 2:50:25 PM EDT
Bought 2 50rd LE speer gold dot 357sig ammo ( old box) from my trusted ffl. I go to the range load a mag in my p2ksk 357sig. while i shoot i get a jam, I drop the mag and rack the slide thats when i notice that the gun didnt load the round because it was a Federal Hydra-shok 40 S&W. so i look at the rest of the rounds in the box and find one more federal 40S&W. why the hell do i have federal 40 ammo in a 357 speer box.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'd be more interested in how you loaded the mag and didn't notice it.  A machine loaded the box, YOU loaded the mag.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
I think I'd be more interested in how you loaded the mag and didn't notice it.  A machine loaded the box, YOU loaded the mag.

do you know what a 357sig is? its a 9mm bullet in a 40s&w case. its pretty easy not to notice. And last time i checked federal and speer were different companys so their is no reason to a machine would be loading federal and speer rounds at the same facility.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you know what a 357sig is? its a 9mm bullet in a 40s&w case. its pretty easy not to notice. And last time i checked federal and speer were different companys so their is no reason to a machine would be loading federal and speer rounds at the same facility.

Federal and speer are both subsidiaries of their parent company ATK so having federal and speer ammo accidently ending up in the same box together isn't out of the realm of possibilites here. However, like others have already said, you should have noticed the problem when you were busy loading your magazines.

www.le.atk.com/default.aspx

www.le.atk.com/general/irl/links.aspx
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know about others but when i load a mag i do it pretty fast and i never see or fell anything but the case and since both of the cases are the same size they all look the same to me. since they are of the same company it sounds like it was a machine mix up.

thank you, come again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The same thing happened to me with Sellier and Bellot .357Sig.  I had a jam and when I cleared it a .40 came out.  

They are quite similar and a moment of carelessness when loading a magazine it could happen to anybody.  I learned someting from it.

Also the only malfunction my Sig 226 has had since the first 100 rounds.  After 4k rounds down the pipe.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's also a necked case, which would be a dead giveaway that something was amiss.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Take this as a learning opportunity that you are personally responsible for what ammunition you load in your magazines.

That said, if you still have the box with the lot number, you should contact ATK and let them know.  They may send you another box.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take this as a learning opportunity that you are personally responsible for what ammunition you load in your magazines.

A HUGE +1

I give every round a quick once-over before loading.  I have seen popped primers, and cracked brass come out of factory sealed boxes.  As the shooter, you have ultimate responsibility.  As mcnielsen said, take this as a learning experience to be more diligent in the future.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
since they are of the same company it sounds like it was a machine mix up.

thank you, come again.

Gold Dots and Hydra-Shoks are loaded in different facilities. One in ID and one in MN. Definitely not a machine mess up.
The incorrect rounds were likely switched by mistake sometime after they shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top