Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 6:59:05 PM EDT
Can anybody shed some light on this bastard of a cartridge? -- What i mean is that it was first marketed back in about '93 or '94 under the Winchester Subsonic 'Deep Penetrator' loading, then when times changed and ideas about so-called stopping power had changed they re-marketed the cartridge as 'Law Enforcement Only' - the same exact 230 gr. JHP.... THEN   after that it was known as Super-X, and now it is sold under the Winchester USA brand 'Personal Protection'

The same exact cartridge.  

Unless something's changed;ie the powder, primer, etc...This is the exact same cartridge marketed under four different names!

I'm not bitching

I like this cartridge because it's accurate, feeds good in all my .45's, and has a deep hollowpoint cavity.  They [Winchester] claim it has a sump cavity and is able to expand even after going through many layers of clothing. They didn't specify if it met FBI criteria or not.
Currently my USP is stoked with Ranger T 230gr for deep winters here in Illinois and thick winter clothing.  But in the summertime i have no problem using the 'Deep Penetrators'

W T F gives, over?

1280 X 960 FULL-SIZED IMAGE

Click the pic for full-size

Anybody shed some light on this thing?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got nothing to add, except that I did notice the re-badging of this same loading from 'law enforcement only' to white box personal protection.

I like this load too and would like to see some data on it as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a fan of this one!

Pretty Accurate across the board in my guns, Resonably Priced, Available, and feeds with Zero Issues in any and every .45 I have loaded it in.

The ogive is very similar to .45 ball, so it does well even in my unpolished & unramped USGI 1911 guns.

Would like to know more about it's terminal effectiveness is anyone has the data!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got nothing to add, except that I did notice the re-badging of this same loading from 'law enforcement only' to white box personal protection.

I like this load too and would like to see some data on it as well.

Quoted:
I'm a fan of this one!

Pretty Accurate across the board in my guns, Resonably Priced, Available, and feeds with Zero Issues in any and every .45 I have loaded it in.

The ogive is very similar to .45 ball, so it does well even in my unpolished & unramped USGI 1911 guns.

Would like to know more about it's terminal effectiveness is anyone has the data!

From what i remember about the original specs' was that it penetrated alot and expanded little:   15"+ gelatin penetration depth and .60 - .64 recovered diameters.  That's good enough for me.  I guess these will serve in a pinch, but i will still stick with my Ranger T's until it gets hot out agin

It's my guess that this particular bullet is quite similar in many ways to the much despised Hornady XTP  

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
With the "Super Size Me" generation we have to deal with these days, maybe 15" of penetration is getting to be about right

Plus that .60 to .65 is still about 1/3 to 2/5 better expansion diameter than some of the 9mm out there!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I was incorrect in my first posting

In order, it goes

1.) Super-X

2.) Subsonic 230gr. JHP

3.) Law Enforcement Only

4.) USA Personal Protection
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I think that this would be really good stuff in a carbine.  Cheap, with enuogh penetration.

My CavOly .45 seems to eat anything, but a reliable feeding profile bullet is a big advantage.

I might have to pick up a box and do some of those non-scientific OJ carton tests.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The Super-X was introduced first, then Subsonic came out shortly thereafter.

Here's the first .40S&W cartridge ever introduced - Winchester Super-X

The Super-X .45ACP 230gr came out shortly afterwards

56K killer 3.1MP full-size image:

I see Winchester has added this .40S&W cartridge to its USA Personal Protection(WWB) class just like the .45ACP loading.

You damn near need a flow chart to keep up with the dizzying array of different cartridges offered by Winchester! They now also include the SilverTip cartridges in the Super-X line up and removed them from their premium cartridges.  I guess the SilverTip is dated and relegated to second-tier ammo if you will.

The 20 round ammo boxes are bullshit! At least with the USA PP ammo they give you 50rds.

Summary:
Winchester USA Personal Protection .40S&W 180gr. and .45ACP 230gr. was once premium ammo in the 1990's.

Now i need to look into the USA PP 9mm ammunition. . .
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I chronographed WWB 230 JHP out of my 5" 1911 and Glock 30.  It averaged 908 FPS out of the 1911 and 840 FPS out of the Glock 30.  I use it for my CCW.  It functions in every .45 I have tried it in.  It says "personal protection" right on the box so it's good for avoiding legal issues as well.  I came up with a handload with Win 230 JHP that has the same OAL, velocity and point of impact that I use for practice.  I'm going to test my handloads into different mediums to see how they perform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top