Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 10:22:40 AM EDT
I'm looking for expert (informed) opinions regarding Federal 230 grain Premium HydraShocks vs. 165 grain Personal Defense loads. I have carried both in my Gold Cup for defensive purposes. I have shot both, at the range. The 230 grain loads seem to be slightly more accurate, with little or no additional recoil. I have had one stovepipe jam with the 165 grain load, out of about 30 rounds fired.

So, my question is "Why even consider the Personal Defense load?" Stopping power and penetration is less than the 230 grain HydraShock and, at least in my weapon, they may be less reliable.

Any other experience with these?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My first consideration of the PD's was for small short barrelled .45's. Expansion was good but I didnt really notice that much reduction in recoil. The most surprising thing was the huge muzzle flash the PD's had. That did it for me. Way to bright. 230's in a full size gun are hard to beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top