Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 7:40:11 PM EDT
  I'll be going on a road trip thuresday nite,which ammo should I carry in my Sig 239 9mm?First off let me say its had about 1100rnds through it and functions 100% with all the ammo I've shot.My choices are Corbon 125+P,TAP124 and Black Hills 115+p they all functoin 100% I don't carry this pistol much but I figure since it's a lot less weight than my 228 this would be a good weekend to carry it, cause I'll be doing a lot of walking.I carry ranger T 127+p+ in my 228 but the 239 does not care for that flavor, so which should I carry????
                                       thanks,
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
well in such a short barrel i think the advantages of +p pretty much don't matter.  i like the tap personally.  that is what i have in my cz75 compact.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going on a road trip, you should definatly be carrying Gold Dots. The Speer Gold Dot is a bonded bullet, which have the maximum amount of retained weight should you have to shoot through you windshield or into another vehicle. In addition to being a bonded bullet, it provides superior terminal ballistics, as good or better than the Ranger T. I personally carry Black Hills 124grn +P Gold Dots in my M9 as it has more velocity/energy than the Speer +P loading.

The Corbon 125grn +P and BH 115grn +P are poor choices. Corbon uses the Sierra JHP which is can be prone to deformation during cycling. The velocity and design of the bullet cause a lower level of penetration and a higher incidence of core sperations when compared to other loadings. The large cavity can also lend itself to clogging.

I can't recall if the BH 115grn +P loading uses a Gold Dot, but its inconsequential.
There isn't a 115 grn loading that passes the IWBA or FBI testing as they lack the penetration of heavier loadings. Even if this load uses the Gold Dot, 115 grns just don't offer enough penetration compared to 124 and 147 grn loadings.

I personally don't like the TAP XTP JHP as it was designed to be a hunting bullet as opposed to being designed for personal defence. It tends to penetrate deeper than other JHP's but its overall performance isn't as good as the Ranger T or Gold Dot.

Since you will be in a vehicle, penetration and maximum retained weight are paramount. If you are forced to fire through your windshield with the Corbon/Sierra JHP or some other non bonded JHP, its unlikely there will be enough left of the bullet to do any damage.

My reccomendation would be to carry some form of Gold Dot, preferably 124grn +P or 147 grns. If you can't purchase 124grn +P or 147grn Gold Dots and are limited to the selection on hand, I would probably carry the TAP, as even though its not bonded, you will have more penetration than the other two loads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Cor-bon DPX has the best penetration through hard targets, and since you'll be around cars alot...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top