Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2006 2:53:44 AM EDT
I just purchased a Glock 32 chambered in 357 sig. For all of my 9mm handguns, I've standardized on the 124gr Speer GoldDot. What are your thoughts regarding ammo for the 357 sig. I can continue with GoldDot or I was also looking at Hornady XTP. I purchased a box of the Hornady and it looks like good stuff. How well do you think it would compare to the GoldDot?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 125gr. Gold Dots in my P229 .357Sig.  You really need a bonded bullet when you push a round to that velocity, so that it stays together and doesn't fragment.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the new 357 Sig Ranger bonded rounds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use 125gr. Gold Dots in my P229 .357Sig.  You really need a bonded bullet when you push a round to that velocity, so that it stays together and doesn't fragment.  

Agreed. The 9mm Ranger T is known to suffer from core seperations when loaded to 9x19 velocites, and this problem would only be exacerbated when driven at .357 Sig velocites. I don't consider traditional bonded bullets a good choice for a carry load. While they have increased weight retention and barrier performance, they lack the terminal performance of non-bonded JHP's and there is an inherent risk of overpenetration, especially in .357 Sig which is known to have superior penetration ability. The Bonded Ranger uses a different bullet than the Ranger T and it is somewhat of an unknown quantity. Performance should be comperable or slightly better than bonded offerings from Remington and Federal. As mentioned before, the Gold Dot is probably the best choice, especially for this caliber. Since its a bonded bullet, it will have superior weight rentention and resist fragmentation and core seperations. Not only is it bonded, but it offers equal or superior terminal ballistics compared to non bonded bullets such as the Ranger T.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a G33 for carry. I shot the 124gr Gold Dots. Very, very accurate. I could shoot 6 inch steel plates at 80 yards almost everytime. Excellent round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top