Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 7:07:47 AM EDT
Does the 45acp 230 gr  hydro-shok make the cut for the  FBI 12in min. I read the report on the ammo that did make it but the 45acp hydro was not on it................. What gives......................
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the HYDRA-shok is an outdated bullet style. It doesnt make the cut because it has a hard time performing well against soft barriers like clothing. The pole in the center of the bullet they pride themselves on actually causes the bullet to clog more easily. Get some modern generation 4 ammo like Gold Dots or Rangers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does the 45acp 230 gr  hydro-shok make the cut for the  FBI 12in min. I read the report on the ammo that did make it but the 45acp hydro was not on it................. What gives......................

I've seen it pass the FBI protocal, but there is better technology offered.

Try the Federal HST

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hydrashok's are "competive" bullets, but there are better choices out there, including the HST.
Testing had been conducted to determine the effective of the post on expansion and testing was done with the post intact, and with the post removed. The results can be reviewed at the firearms tactical institue web site. When the hydrashok expands, its a very potent bullet designt and its very effective. However, the design of the bullet can make for less reliable expansion. Hydrshoks have a tendency to collect denim, wood or other debris in the cavity of the bullet, clogging it and preventing it from expanding. When this happens, it penetrates similarly to a 9mm FMJ and wounds about the same. This could make for a very "dangerous" round to use in a HD weapon there is a greater risk of overpentration with this round, as opposed to other bullets. In a real world shooting, against somone wearing light clothing you could probably expect 1 out of 2 rounds to expand properly....which isn't horrible, but its not great. Hydrshoks are a tried and true bullet design that has been used by many LE agencies, and continues to see service to this day. That being said, its an older bullet design with some limitations and there are newer/better bullet designs that offer better and more reliable performance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
. Hydrshoks have a tendency to collect denim, wood or other debris in the cavity of the bullet, clogging it and preventing it from expanding. When this happens, it penetrates similarly to a .45acp FMJ  and wounds about the same. This could make for a very "dangerous" round to use in a HD weapon there is a greater risk of overpentration with this round, as opposed to other bullets. In a real world shooting, against somone wearing light clothing you could probably expect 1 out of 2 rounds to expand properly....which isn't horrible, but its not great.

known as the 'cookie-cutter' effect and it's true with H-S ammo
and i changed one little thing in your post
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The Hydrashock is as mentioned above, and older design.  Speer Gold Dots or  Rem Golden Sabres are more reliable.  The Win Ranger SXT is a good choice as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the info.......................
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
230 gr. Hydra-Shok that plugged and failed to expand in a test I did. This round failed while being tested against two layers of cotton t-shirt material. Not exactly a demanding barrier.

r

In my testing, I found a greater than 20% failure to expand rate. In testing the 230 gr. Gold Dots, I have never experienced a failure to expand. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top