Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 7:32:23 PM EDT
Ok from what Ive experienced the .40 is snappier than a .45, the reason Ive been told is because the .40 has more powder in it to equal (or close to it) the kinetic energy or transferable energy of a .45 upon impact. If this is incorrect please correct....

Assuming that, would a .40 round that has the same bullet weight of a comparable .45 round then therefore shoot more like the .45 and less snappy? I.E. 180gr Defense round for .40 with a 180gr Defense round for .45

Thanks for the help.

This matters only because I normally don't like the .40 when I'm shooting. I like .45 because it seems more predictable when I squeeze the trigger...maybe thats just the guns Ive shot it in...but Im highly considering the CZ 75 Compact .40 here and I'm wondering if either a.) the ammo will effect the way it shoots which leaves me in control of felt recoil/predictability  or   b.) it was just the gun/guns and I should try the CZ anyway.

She's such a beaut' ain't she?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I belive the reason the .40 seems to have more "snap" to it is due to the mugh higher pressures in the .40cal. The .45 works at nearly half the pressures of the smaller round.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok from what Ive experienced the .40 is snappier than a .45, the reason Ive been told is because the .40 has more powder in it to equal (or close to it) the kinetic energy or transferable energy of a .45 upon impact. If this is incorrect please correct....

Assuming that, would a .40 round that has the same bullet weight of a comparable .45 round then therefore shoot more like the .45 and less snappy? I.E. 180gr Defense round for .40 with a 180gr Defense round for .45

Thanks for the help.

This matters only because I normally don't like the .40 when I'm shooting. I like .45 because it seems more predictable when I squeeze the trigger...maybe thats just the guns Ive shot it in...but Im highly considering the CZ 75 Compact .40 here and I'm wondering if either a.) the ammo will effect the way it shoots which leaves me in control of felt recoil/predictability  or   b.) it was just the gun/guns and I should try the CZ anyway.

www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main063.png

I was going to leave this alone...

Hold off buying the pistol until you have shot one in the calibre you like.

It is called "percieved" recoil for a reason.
I find the .45 to be a heavy push.
I find the .40 to be a hard slap.

To take a  .45 out of 230 grains is negating the use of a .45

I carry a .45 .

Due to an injury I work out with a 9mm
(I've carried a 1911 for 20 years.... my Glock has little chance of corrupting me.)

In training it is all about sight picture.
With both guns I am able to hit "minute of tango" with no adjustment.

Find what you like.
Screw the "calibre of the day"

Just a thought:
A 9mm will likely expand.
A .45 will never shrink.

Federal .45 HST (Only when you care to send the very best.)

My opinion is worth exactly what you have paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the help.

www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main063.png

I was going to leave this alone...

Hold off buying the pistol until you have shot one in the calibre you like.

It is called "percieved" recoil for a reason.
I find the .45 to be a heavy push.
I find the .40 to be a hard slap.

To take a  .45 out of 230 grains is negating the use of a .45

I carry a .45 .

Due to an injury I work out with a 9mm
(I've carried a 1911 for 20 years.... my Glock has little chance of corrupting me.)

In training it is all about sight picture.
With both guns I am able to hit "minute of tango" with no adjustment.

Find what you like.
Screw the "calibre of the day"

Just a thought:
A 9mm will likely expand.
A .45 will never shrink.

Federal .45 HST (Only when you care to send the very best.)
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/fedgunner/dscf0910Small.jpg

My opinion is worth exactly what you have paid for it.

Very good points. I guess the only reason Im even looking at .40 is because I can't seem to find a .45 with the ergonomics that fit me. I like the 1911 but want something a little more like a CZ/Baby Eagle when it comes to feel of the grip. Those type of frames fit my hand like a glove. My father is considering buying one too so I may wait until he gets his before I buy.  Know of a  .45 thats less than 4.6inches of barrel and has ergos like the CZ? Oh and I DO NOT like plastic. It has to be metal framed no compromise.
Wish I could just design and manufacturer my own pistols....
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
i love my cz75d compact.  it feels better than any other pistol i have ever fired.  the baby eagle is a cz clone as is the eaa witness.  the witness is a more direct clone in terms of the location of the safety.  and by all accounts they are excellent pistols.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The .45 feels less snappy because it's a slower moving bullet.  So it leaves the barrel with more of a push than a snap.  Load the .45 to .40 velocity and it'll have a snap in the recoil (a heavier snap at that).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top