Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
I got a chance to shoot some Ranger T +P .45s the other day, and I have to say, they are pretty damn cool.

Winchester claims 990fps out of a 5inch 1911 barrel, so I think it's safe to say they make 950. That adds a good bit of wallop to the standard 850fps .45/230 load we're all used to. The question is, though, "Do you really need it?"

The standard loading has done well, and seems to be soldiering on. However, if you are one of those guys who believes in energy, the +P rounds have plenty of that. They also add a noticeable amount of noise and recoil, to me at least. I don't think it's slowed my shot-to-shot times much, but shooting my SA 1911, I can definitely feel the extra bite when the gun drives back into the web of my hand. It's not painful, but there's no doubt it's there.

So, expound your thoughts on the .45 +P rounds. Lets hear what you have to say.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i think that it might help w/ shorter bbl guns as wont the +P stuff burn the powder faster and get max velocity outta the shorter bbls?

personally though, i stick to the regular 230grs
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not think the extra 100 fps matters, except perhaps it would make JHPs expand more reliably.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the regular Win. Ranger 230gr for my glock 30 because of the muzzle rize when using the +p, but out of a full length 5" 1911 I would rather have the +p because of the extra energy.  For me the +p is a little harder to get back on target for follow up shots.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would not think the extra 100 fps matters, except perhaps it would make JHPs expand more reliably.

Maybe it would get better penetration through auto glass too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Often extra velocity/extra energy will cause bullets to over-expand and thereby penetrate less, though the +P Ranger T bullet is likely a different design bullet than the standard velocity JHP to prevent this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top