Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 9:58:19 AM EDT
I know, I know, "Macman, why would you defend yourself with a .22?" Long story short: My wife isn't crazy about 9mm. She's small and hates loud noises. I took her to the range today and she did great with my Ciener .22 conversion unit. We got to looking at the .22s they had at the range, including the SIG Mosquito, Browning Buckmark (IIRC) and a Beretta that fit her hand like a glove. Of course it would, it was $200 more than the other ones.

So, there you have it. The .22 could be her nighstand gun if we go that route. What say you, Arfcom knowledge bearers?

TIA,

jim
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
for the .22LR there are a couple of rounds that are loaded slightly hotter than average.

1.) CCI Stinger

2.) Remington Yellow Jacket Hp or Viper solid

3.) CCI Quick-Shok (fragmenting into three sections)

4.) Aguila Super Maximum

my vote is for the Remington Viper non-hollowpoint cartridge for deeper penetration
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Rampant_Colt, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester 40 grain Power Point. Good combination of expansion and penetration(for a .22LR.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Within hosehold range she'll be more deadly with a longslide .22  than most men with a .45.  

IMO
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The first rule to gunfighting is to have a gun.  That said, my wife used to keep her Smith 422 by the bedside with 12 rounds of whatever would feed.  12 rounds of .22 LR in a couple seconds where it counts is better than calling 911 and suffering the consequences.

What it finally took to get her to shoot the 9mm confidently was to take a friend of a friend, a smaller, shorter, chickey to the range with our group.  When the short little wench was shooting the 9, .45, and 12 gauge competently, the wife changed her attitude about "noise" and "too much kick".  

Notwithstanding, the .22 in the early days was all we could afford.  

Out of the group you mention, I would lean toward the Browning, but push you out of the group to a Ruger 22-45 or Mark 3.

Another choice would be to buy a used Glock 17 and an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion.  Think about where this choice will eventually take you..............

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies, guys!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Might want t try CCI Velocitor's also.  They did a real number on a ground hog the other day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo selection isn't as important as gun selection when it comes to the 22lr.

You want a real heavy gun with sharp edges so it'll do as much damage as possible when you throw the gun at the bad guy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ammo selection isn't as important as gun selection when it comes to the 22lr.

You want a real heavy gun with sharp edges so it'll do as much damage as possible when you throw the gun at the bad guy.

ha-ha-ha funny man
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
well....today I traded in my Remington 597 and bought a S&W Walther 22lr pistol to take it's place!

So...

uh...

tag for 22lr ammo!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a pistol round carbine? I know Kel Tec makes a cheap, but from what I've heard, reliable pistol carbine that can fire 9mm and 40SW and takes glock mags.

If you're set on the 22, why not a 10/22? A 25 round magazine dumped in a hurry in COM is sure gonna ruin anyones day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Awful hard to CCW a carbine.

I took a look at the Beretta Storm in .45 - that would be a sweet little carbine with an Aimpoint or EOtech on it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that you've had some responses that answer that which you have asked directly, I will answer that which you have asked indirectly

.32/.380/.38/9mm... the best of which she can handle in subsonic (bold denoting the foot in the door to man-stopping rounds). A .22 in a small pistol makes plenty of racket, so if noise is REALLY the factor then recoil is moot and subsonic from a duty sized pistol should feel great to her with a little practice & the report shouldn't be terrifying. There's no shame getting her confidence up with the .22 but I wouldn't be comfortable settling there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
No offense, but it sounds like she shouldnt handle a weapon yet.  Fear is what makes people victims of thier own weapons.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No offense, but it sounds like she shouldnt handle a weapon yet.  Fear is what makes people victims of thier own weapons.

Naaah. If it came down to it, she'd do what had to be done.

I understand the logic but I also know her very well. Once she gets past the noise of a 9mm, she'll be fine. She did great with my .22 conversion unit. I just need to get her confidence to the point where I can switch her to the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If I were going to use a 22lr for defense I'd go for penetration and use a solid.  I think the hollow points would not get anywhere near the 12 inches of penetration the experts require.  I think a small hole in the heart, lungs, liver or brain is better than a large hole in muscle, fat or denim.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If noise is the problem, you could always look at a .45.  Most women I know seem to prefer the lower percieved recoil of a .45 ACP to a 9mm. anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick Shot. Breaks into three pieces upon impact.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If noise is the problem, you could always look at a .45.  Most women I know seem to prefer the lower percieved recoil of a .45 ACP to a 9mm. anyway.

Ummm, I'm looking to inspire her, not scare her away. In my experience, .45 has more recoil based on the heavier bullet.

You must be teaching some fearless women!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to look at it from another angle, my fiancee was fairly skittish after her first range session due to the noise.  Before we returned, I spent some time with her finding good fitting, high quality muffs AND plugs, along with comfortable eye protection.  

Swaddle her up in safety gear and compliment the HELL out of anything she does downrange.  It's a rare woman who won't crawl naked over broken glass and rock salt to be complimented.  It'll be a big plus she can look forward to at the range, and may motivate her to go more often.

Careful what you wish for though.. I thought ammo was expensive 'til I started buying it for two
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If I were going to use a 22lr for defense I'd go for penetration and use a solid.  I think the hollow points would not get anywhere near the 12 inches of penetration the experts require.  I think a small hole in the heart, lungs, liver or brain is better than a large hole in muscle, fat or denim.

For penetration you definately want a fast moving solid round nose.  Small hole(s) in the eyes, nose, mouth, or throat would be better yet.

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top