Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
I just bought a new FN HIPOWER SFS and want to carry it CCW. I was wondering can i shoot +P some what? I know im not supposed to but i figure if i just shoot like 100rnds to make sure it functions ok...then keep that loaded when im carrying it will be ok..but thought id ask here first.

also has anyone use any of this ammo?

Geco® Action 1 9 mm 84-gr. +P Ammo   (thesportsmansguide.com carrys it)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't yet, go visit Stephen Camp's site, www.hipowersandhandguns.com.

It is the greatest collection of info on your gun anywhere on the net, and has a great number
of FAQ's, some dealing with self defense ammo from an expert.  I believe Mr. Camp recommends
115 grain JHP +P for carry, which I also use in my 9mm.

My EDC is a .40 Hipower with the SFS system, it's a great carry gun and the gun I shoot the best of any handgun I've ever shot, even more so than my 1911's.

BTW, I have close to 15,000 rounds through my Hipower.  I broker an extractor at around 10,000 rounds, other than that the gun still looks like new, inside and out.  They're tough.  I wouldn't shoot that many rounds of +P through one, but some now and then isn't going to hurt it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you haven't yet, go visit Stephen Camp's site, www.hipowersandhandguns.com.
I believe Mr. Camp recommends 115 grain JHP +P for carry, which I also use in my 9mm.

When did he decide he was a ballistics expert?

My BHP seems to like both 124gr+P Speer Gold Dots, and 147gr Ranger Ts(RA9T).  I tend to use the 147gr rounds because that is the same defensive ammo that the rest of my 9mms shoot well.  I'm trying to keep ammunition compatability, instead of buying a shitload of different brands.

I reccomend you find a defensive both you and your pistol like, burn up a few hundred to make sure the gun is 100% reliable.  Then dont worry about anything, but bad people.  US made ammuniton thats loaded to +P velocities, is about as fast as European ammo loaded to regular velocities.  I dont think it makes much, if any difference, but if you are still nervous, get a Wolff extra power (10%) recoil spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top