Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:08 PM EDT
Ok, a buddy of mine told me what he rigged up the other day.  He has a .357 mag revolver and uses hollow points in it (brand not known).  

I was talking to him and he said guess what I did with my hollow points?  I poured mercury into them and used hard wax to seal them off, now if I shoot someone they will get mercury poisioning and die if the bullet doesn't kill them first...............

Baahaaa.  I told him to not go with this idea, and explained to him the liability issues and such of this type of "premeditated" action.

I thought it was funny enough to pass on.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What happens to the HP bullet if you seal off the cavity with hard wax? Does the wax simply "liquify" with the pressure/heat of zipping out of the barrel and tunneling through a soft target?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That doesn't work anyway.
Doesn't the mercury combine with the lead or something? (anneal?)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Only thing it might do is cause birth defects in his later offspring.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The proper magic bullet is to rub your fecal matter into the HP cavity and seal it in with a thin layer of red locktite. the locktite will foul the barrel, so this should only be fired.....
When the SHTF

<-- shitbullet head shot
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Mercury doesn't work but Garlic will. But only if you're NOT Italian.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
heck i have a block of teflon i could melt into the hole.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna use the latest starwars guns to kill.....that will beat any of your bullets!

BIZATCHES!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
My magic bullet=12 gauge slug
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Another point not mentioned in this thread mercury eats up wax if hes keeping bullets in gun with mercury the whole thing would become toxic and if I were you I wouldnt shake his hand anymore or let him in your house if hes using mercury with out protection or putting it in bullets. mercury is one of those toxic chemicals with similiar transmision properties as radioactive materials like cobalt an iridium, short contact or direct exposure hed contaminate everything around him and eventually would die it takes another chemical to disipate mercury which is why if you break a thermometer your not supposed to clean it up by yourself you haft contact certain people which most dont.  hacko.gif
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, a buddy of mine told me what he rigged up the other day.  He has a .357 mag revolver and uses hollow points in it (brand not known).  

I was talking to him and he said guess what I did with my hollow points?  I poured mercury into them and used hard wax to seal them off, now if I shoot someone they will get mercury poisioning and die if the bullet doesn't kill them first...............

Baahaaa.  I told him to not go with this idea, and explained to him the liability issues and such of this type of "premeditated" action.

I thought it was funny enough to pass on.

Haha that's funny. You should tell him that anyone he shoots probably has double that much mercury in their teeth fillings already.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Mercury is heavy.  Mercury has an atomic weight of 201 and lead is 207.  Adding weight/mass to a bullet will increase chamber pressure.  Assuming he's doing this to a factory load he has no idea what the bullet weight is after adding mercury.  He has no idea what the chamber pressure will be if he fires this bullet.  Messing around with factory loads like this is dangerous.  Its quite possible he's going to KABOOM.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
At least don't let him shoot any at the range because that stuff will splatter all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Just a FYI Mercury itself is harmless, the vapr is what will screw your nervous systom up.  In other words tell him to not even practice with that stuff or he'll turn into the mad hater.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#14]
.45ACP hollowpoint with a very large cavity + a few grains of black powder + small pistol magnum primer + wax.    MJD
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just a FYI Mercury itself is harmless, the vapr is what will screw your nervous system up...

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Assuming the mercury loads are fresh and haven't leaked out...
When he fires, I would think the wax would melt and the mercury would become a mist in the air, poisoning the area for the intruder as well as himself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
The mercury will amalgamate withthe lead in a very short time.
Just like those amalgun fillings in your teeth.  They are silver and mercury.
The weight will be increased, but probably not enough to make much differnce ina low pressure cartridge like a .45
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Only thing it might do is cause birth defects in his later offspring.

Ya but it sounds like any mental defects would be hard to identify in that pool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top