User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:09:21 PM EDT
What is the difference between
9MM LUGER 147 GR Hollow Point/XTP
and
9MM LUGER 147 GR TAP - FPD
???
Also which one would make a better self-defense round?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
i think either would work just fine.

here is what natchez has as a description for the xtp: Loaded with Hornady XTPª Bullets for deep, terminal penetration.Carefully selected high quality corrosion resistant brass cases for reliable feeding and to withstand maximum chamber pressures. Special selected high quality powders & primers for optimum performance.

and for the tap: Consistent pinpoint accuracy from bolt-action and semi-auto rifles. Reduced chance of collateral damage from over-penetration or ricochet. 100% Energy transfer to target, for instant terminal results and reduced need for repeat shots. No tip deformation caused by administrative loading & unloading of the weapon or impacting of the tip in semi-auto magazines under recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
So it is basically the same thing from what it sounds, besides from the coating on the brass. Is it really a gimmic to make a few dollars more on the TAP?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
one might have a deeper or wider hollow.  one might have a bonded bullet.  i am really not sure but if it were me i would buy the cheaper and if it fed through my pistols then i would leave the expanding part up to the round and i figure hornady would do that right.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
As noted in the TACKED topic atop the AR15 Ammunition forum, here are top performers for 9mm:

9mm
-Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ JHP
-Winchester Ranger 147 gr JHP
-Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
-Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP
-Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP
-Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP

Realize your asking about the Hornady XTPs, but thought this might be of interest to your "best self defense round" issues, as the Rangers are pretty popular............

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top