Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 10:28:14 PM EDT
My carry is a Sig Sauer p229 in .357sig, and im looking for some sort of less lethal round to have chambered. I have two spares Ive got HPs in, but I would like my loaded mag to have some kind of rubber or bean bag round loaded if they exist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Bean Bags need much more space, and IIRC, "Rubber Bullets" are lethal at pistol distance.  You might be able to find a rubber projectile meant to be used in 9x19, but with a round that has so little mass, there would be little chance that it would cycle the action.  You would be stuck with no way to immediately follow up with lethal rounds.  Also considering we're talking about .357sig, I imagine that rubber rounds would come apart under the pressures, even if there were a projectile heavy enough.

My suggestion would be a much more traditional less-lethal like pepper spray.  It would have MUCH less risk of being lethal than a rubber, and could be used earlier in a confrontation than a "GUN", even a gun loaded with rubbers.  

Picture this: Some A$$hole follows you and your wife to the mall after a traffic near-miss, and he confronts you on the front steps.  Words are exchanged and he proceeds to get into an ass kicking contest with you.  Being honest with yourself, You know your gonna lose some teeth to this degenerate, but he ain't exactly proved to be a deadly threat, at least not yet.  If you pull your concealed pistol and pop him one in the thigh, the witness testimony is not going to look good for you.  Especially if at pistol distance it penetrates his leg, and hits something expensive, like a major blood vessel.  
On the other hand you hit him in the face with a good solid spray of O.C. , and maybe another good squirt just for kicks as he cusses you, swinging blindly at thin air.  I imagine the paperwork would be alot less for you, and if he  turns out to have a pistol or other lethal weapon, his lawyer won't be able to say you pulled a pistol first, and he pulled in self defence.  
Alot of people don't like the idea of carrying pepper spray, not being manly and all, but there are some situations that would be best solved without clearing leather if possible.

Tex78
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Shooting at someone with any load is using lethal force.
Using something 'less lethal' is not going to get you any slack if you did not have adequate justificatin to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I would want anything "less lethal" in a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want something less lethal, try a .22 LR or .25 cal.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bean Bags need much more space, and IIRC, "Rubber Bullets" are lethal at pistol distance.  You might be able to find a rubber projectile meant to be used in 9x19, but with a round that has so little mass, there would be little chance that it would cycle the action.  You would be stuck with no way to immediately follow up with lethal rounds.  Also considering we're talking about .357sig, I imagine that rubber rounds would come apart under the pressures, even if there were a projectile heavy enough.

My suggestion would be a much more traditional less-lethal like pepper spray.  It would have MUCH less risk of being lethal than a rubber, and could be used earlier in a confrontation than a "GUN", even a gun loaded with rubbers.  

Picture this: Some A$$hole follows you and your wife to the mall after a traffic near-miss, and he confronts you on the front steps.  Words are exchanged and he proceeds to get into an ass kicking contest with you.  Being honest with yourself, You know your gonna lose some teeth to this degenerate, but he ain't exactly proved to be a deadly threat, at least not yet.  If you pull your concealed pistol and pop him one in the thigh, the witness testimony is not going to look good for you.  Especially if at pistol distance it penetrates his leg, and hits something expensive, like a major blood vessel.  
On the other hand you hit him in the face with a good solid spray of O.C. , and maybe another good squirt just for kicks as he cusses you, swinging blindly at thin air.  I imagine the paperwork would be alot less for you, and if he  turns out to have a pistol or other lethal weapon, his lawyer won't be able to say you pulled a pistol first, and he pulled in self defence.  
Alot of people don't like the idea of carrying pepper spray, not being manly and all, but there are some situations that would be best solved without clearing leather if possible.

Tex78

This is good advice, I give the same advice to those I work with, John Farnam suggests this also and many people I know who carry firearms daily respect him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Tex78

Cool this helped me out, thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you need to pull a gun, deadly force is warrented.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top