Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:43:21 PM EDT
I've owned a Winchester Trapper in 44 Magnum ( 16 in Barrel ) for some time now

I was thinking about a Marlin in the same caliber and the one I was looking at has a 24 in Octagonal Barrel

I know the 44 magnum benefits from the 16 barrel over a Pistol length Barrel but does anyone know how the longer barrel will affect ballistics ?

I've done the Google search and couldn't come up with anything
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Pure speculation as I don’t even have one, nor can I lay my hands on any data.

Jumping from 16” to 24” will probably gain you some small increase in Muzzle Velocity.

I suspect that since we are dealing with a pistol cartridge there is a point using factory loads where there is little gain.

Factory loads are for handguns and they can be used in rifles too. However they are optimized for short pistol barrels.

Handloading is different story. Listed loads often contain warnings that they should not be used in pistols. Likewise you will see ‘slower powders’ listed for Rifle loads that do not appear in the Pistol load data.

1700fps to 1900fps 240gr loads are listed using the Ruger 18” in my books.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that Going from a Handgun 4" 6' or 8" to a 16" the 44mag gains alot

I just don't know at what point it's too much barrel to where it would be detrimental
Although it's a different beast 45acp actually loses with longer barrels
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You do get a good gain for 44 mag. It's a big cartridge for a pistol caliber. I can't recall the numbers when I was checking on them. I opted for 444 marlin with a 20" barrel. The mag just can't touch it as far as ballistics but ammo is cheaper and the magizine holds a few more rnds if you go 44 mag.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top