Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 9:01:59 AM EDT
I just finished buying an H&K USP 9 and I was in my local gunshop to see if they carried Winchester white box ammo. The guy at the counter told me that it was garbage and to not put that through my HK. He recommended Independence 115 gr FMJ. I didnt end up buying any ammo but I wanted to see what you guys thought about this ammo? I am new to shooting so I have never heard of it before.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it.  I use it in my Bersa Thunder .380 and the stuff runs flawlessly.  Can't beat the price either.  I've come to realize that just because it dosen't say Win, Fed, or Rem on the box does make it bad ammo, just different.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Independence is made in Brazil, and imported by CCI, I believe. I think it is really good ammo, it functions perfectly in all of my firearms, and it is very accurate. I have used the .40 in my USP40c and G22, 9mm in my Beretta 92D, and .45 in my Colt series 80. It's a good deal IMO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried out some of the Independence 9mm today, and it actually felt hotter than the Remington UMC. And it was priced pretty well too.
Link to big pics of box/ headstamp
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just finished buying an H&K USP 9 and I was in my local gunshop to see if they carried Winchester white box ammo. The guy at the counter told me that it was garbage and to not put that through my HK. He recommended Independence 115 gr FMJ. I didnt end up buying any ammo but I wanted to see what you guys thought about this ammo? I am new to shooting so I have never heard of it before.

He's a moron.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should have noted I bumped this thread up from january instead of starting a new one on the same subject...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A buddy and I bought three boxes of the .45ACP stuff between us.  He shot the first mag and it seemed hot.  When I loaded up it wouldn't chamber.  After clearing the weapon, I noticed the bullet set back enough to see a gap between the case mouth and the bullet.  This was in a 1911 style pistol.

Edited to fix:  would --> wouldn't.  D'oh!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A buddy and I bought three boxes of the .45ACP stuff between us.  He shot the first mag and it seemed hot.  When I loaded up it would chamber.  After clearing the weapon, I noticed the bullet set back enough to see a gap between the case mouth and the bullet.  This was in a 1911 style pistol.

Can you explain in a little more detail? Do you mean to say the bullet got jammed back into the casing? Was the ammo crimped? I was thinking about picking some of this up this weekend.

Also, I have seen a lot of bad reports going around on WWB.

Samuel

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A buddy and I bought three boxes of the .45ACP stuff between us.  He shot the first mag and it seemed hot.  When I loaded up it wouldn't chamber.  After clearing the weapon, I noticed the bullet set back enough to see a gap between the case mouth and the bullet.  This was in a 1911 style pistol.

Can you explain in a little more detail? Do you mean to say the bullet got jammed back into the casing? Was the ammo crimped? I was thinking about picking some of this up this weekend.

Samuel

That is exactly right.  There was no noticible crimp.  Scratch that, there was no crimp period.  Ironically, I compared it to WWB for OAL before and after trying to chamber a subsequent round.  My friend just got his 1911 and has shot easily 1000 rounds in the last two months - mainly the Wal-Mart WWB 100 round value packs.

I saved the brass of the rounds we did shoot, but on second thought, don't think I'll reload them.  The brass "feels" soft.  Sort of like Aguila from the early and mid-90's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
WWB has always been good, accurate ammo for me.
I did have one round that had a damaged case mouth, but considering how many thousands of rounds of it I've fired....
The best ammo for my USP 9mm so far has been Winchester USA 9mm 124 grain FMJ's and Winchester USA 115 grain JHP's. The JHP's are nice and hot and have givin me the tightest groups with my H&K.
Never tried Independence.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Samuel

That is exactly right.  There was no noticible crimp.  Scratch that, there was no crimp period.  Ironically, I compared it to WWB for OAL before and after trying to chamber a subsequent round.  My friend just got his 1911 and has shot easily 1000 rounds in the last two months - mainly the Wal-Mart WWB 100 round value packs.

I saved the brass of the rounds we did shoot, but on second thought, don't think I'll reload them.  The brass "feels" soft.  Sort of like Aguila from the early and mid-90's.

Thanks for the reply. If I spot some this weekend I''ll inspect for a crimp. I'll probably just fork out the extra and pick up some American Eagle. I got a new XD and I am in the process of field testing it and I do not need any ammo cause failures.

Samuel
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Please post your findings on the crimp.  More than likely the three boxes we picked up were from the same lot and there could have been a QA problem on that one.  Not likely, but you never know.  

The only (and minor) issue I've had with WWB .45 ammo is that sometimes the glue they use to seal the end flaps ends up on the brass of the adjacent rounds.  It picks off easy with a fingernail, so no real problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

it's not the ammo, it's your 1911.

WWB works great in my USP9, USP45, P2000. Independence ammo also works fine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's not the ammo, it's your 1911.

WWB works great in my USP9, USP45, P2000. Independence ammo also works fine.

I think you mis-read my post.  I have NO problem with WWB.  I've had no problems with any of the factory ammo through that gun and I've had no problem with over 15K reloads through it either - ball, LSWC, JHP, nothing.

So tell me, what could be so wrong with a gun that it forces a bullet to set back over 1/16th inch into the case?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Must be hot, i just fired about 300 rounds worth through my USP .40 and its was noticably more snappy than wichester or Remington...Fired flawlessly and was as accuracte as i am though
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm gonna have to disagree on Independence ammo.  Because of the extremely rough brass edges I was getting quite a few failure to feeds on my SW1911.  However, WWB and Magtech on the other hand are much smoother (like quality ammo is) and I have no probs with those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top