Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT
Anybody else had a problem with this ammo?  I have heard rumors about it and I know my boss at the gun shop where I worked at didn't care for it.  he called it U Must Clean. I had shot some before and didtn have a problem with it other than being dirty.  I picked up two cases for the price of two boxes when they were mismarked and was told the "oops our mistake the customer is always right" at a hardware store.  Those deals dont come all that often. Anyways I running some 40 cal 180Gr  MC through my Sig P229 and had what I though was a feed ramp jam on the last round of the mag. The the case was a little rough so I ejected it and loaded another factory mag. Tried to chamber a round same thing. So I field stripped the SIG and found a scrap of brass in between the barrel and frame. I didn't have a problem after that. Anybody ever had that problem. I will shoot some in my HK USPC 40 tommorrow to see if I have any more problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been buying a ton of the green box Rem/UMC from Dick's Sporting Goods. They have been running sales pretty regularly....$5.98 per box for 9mm. I've never had a problem to date. I have been using the 9mm, .40, and .380. The 9mm goes through a Beretta 92d, .40 through a G22 and USP40c, and .380 through a Beretta 1934. I think it's good ammo, and a good deal when it's on sale.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a case of yellow box UMC and my Kimber hates them, about 5 or 6 rounds out of a box of 50 will fail to feed.  Any other type of ammo feeds flawlessley.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
well i got me a 50 box of rem umc from wally and plan on burning it through a colt series 70 tommorow ill let you know  how it goes, i have never shot this stuff but since the winchester value pack was out its all they had....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Remmington out sources it, their are no SAMMI specs and remington is not liable for it
Icon
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot UMC in my Ruger P95 9mm and it was some dirty ammo!  I stopped shooting it until I had to pick up 357SIG ammo at a gunstore in an unfamiliar area before a range session and all they had was UMC.  In 50 rounds, several fail-to-fires, some wouldn't go bang after 4-5 trigger pulls.  Plus it was just a dirty as the 9mm was.  The boxes looked rough, so maybe they were kept in a damp area who knows.  In any event, I now internet order my ammo to make sure it's new, and UMC is off the order list.  Never had any loose brass shavings, but if you got 2 cases for 2 box price, probably not bad for plinking ammol.  Just be sure to clean afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My experiancw w/ the UMC yellow box stuff...... SUCKS.  Underpowered.  The 9mm, my AR hates it.... won't even throw the brass past my face!  45 same issue.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Never have had a problem with it.  I shoot IPSC with it in my S&W 1911 and it has never failed me!  Now if I could just shoot better!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It's overpriced for what it is. WWB and Russian are $4.85 around here, CCI $3.85, but the Remington green box or UMC never dips below $6 a box.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot all 50 rounds today through a series 70 colt with no problems at all and shot fairly accurate also
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one or two rounds of .45 ACP with bulged cases from the bullet being seated improperly from a lot about 10 years ago. Current lots look ok. I just bought some from Dick's for $10/box I'll shoot them this week and post  anything noteworthy.

Also, I bought some yellow box .30-06 150 gr FMJ to shoot from Garands and the bullets were definitely cheaply made. They didn't have that sharp, smooth M-2 profile. They were almost truncated twoard the mid length of the bullet to the base. You could see the definite  "ring" about midway on the bullet.

They were also seated remarkably deeply into the case and the case held a few grains less powder than normal. Apparently this is a cost saving measure too.  Cram the bullet in deeper to raise pressures and
use a little less powder. They didn't look right - although they shot well at 100 yards, albeit better from
my 700 BDL than my Garand.

When you looked at the bullet tips, put about 3-5 on  a desktop and eyeball them - you'll see the tips all tilting to different "sides" they're not uniform at all. Must be a cheap way to apply jackets to cores
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my first 1911(SA 1911-A1 GI)  this past weekend and found a deal on the yellow box.
I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and shot 50 throught it.
I had two that would not even chamber all the way. I don't know and HOPE it's not my gun since I bought it new. But aside from the feed problem I could tell that some loads where hotter than the other ones. I'm going to shoot the other box of UMC and try other ammo and let you guys know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
i used to use it in my enfield.  they all fired.  that was the best plinking ammo i could ever find locally.  and when i say best i mean cheapest.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, after buying 4000 rounds for $400 at Dick's, I'm somewhat stuck shooting it for awhile.  I don't mind though!  Stuff shoots very accurately and is fairly clean.  As clean as any other ammo out there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been buying UMC for a couple of years now.  I usally buy it when Dicks has it for $5.98/50.  I have probably shot about 5,000 rds of the 9mm and I have never had  a single malfunction due to ammo, actually I havent had any malfunctions of any type.

I like the UMC alot and I just picked up 600rds of it from Dicks last week
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I' ve shot well over 1000 rnds of 180 and 165 gr. 40 S&W with no problems. Plenty hot ,clean and accurate. All I've bought has been from sportsmansguide. It used to come in yellow boxes but now comes in green and white reminmgton boxes, I haven't noticed any diffrence in the rnds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#17]
The green box stuff I buy at Dicks  says " MADE IN USA " on the side . 45acp
I have had no problems with it . ( at least so far )
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
380. PPK, 45. SA ,  .223 Bushy all fed, fired and ejected.  Does seem dirty though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The green box stuff I buy at Dicks  says " MADE IN USA " on the side . 45acp
I have had no problems with it . ( at least so far )

Same here.  It seems to work well in my SA Loaded Lightweight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I've gone through 3 boxes of the 250 round mega-pack and every single one has gone bang in my HK USP40C. It's cheap and works reliably enough for me to plink with.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
almost 2000 rounds of the stuff in my USPf40. Not a single issue so far.
Cant say the same about winchester white box, just put 300 rounds through today and it was rather dirty firing if all the excess smoke is an indication
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had a problem with it.  Have literally shot thousands of rounds through two HK USP's.  Goes bang everytime!  Both the new green box and old yellow box are marked "Made In The USA."  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My experiancw w/ the UMC yellow box stuff...... SUCKS.  Underpowered.  The 9mm, my AR hates it.... won't even throw the brass past my face!  45 same issue.....

Let me explain....

When using my 9mm AR, using UMC yellow box 250 round packs, the case will not get thrown farm.  Usually, it clears the shooter (left handed) and this stuff was dropping just past my arm or on my arm (at least I was using long sleeves)!

Using a chrono, the 45 UMC yellow box 250 round packs are much slower then the Winchester of the same bullet weight.  IIRC, it was at least 50-70fps slower consistantly.  Same issue w/ the brass, wasn't kicked out very far in comparison to the Winchester (Oly Arms 45 upper).

Maybe the packs of 50 are different.  I don't know.....haven't seen and UMC yellow box in my area... except in the 250 round packs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am the opposite.. Ive been shooting the 10mm... While its not full power, it packs a whallup, and is definetley not underpowered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a friend that is a chemical engineer at the Remington plant in Lonoke, AR.  I will ask him where the UMC is made.  I do know that the UMC is low impulse.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#26]
O.K. here is the deal, all UMC ammo is made right here in Arkansas.  Remington did have a relationship with Aguila, but that has since deteriorated and is pretty much a non-issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#27]
i bought a couple of boxes of the UMC 180gr. .44mag on a suggestion from a fellow shooter.
i can honestly say that the .44mag.UMC 180gr. is hotter than my hottest handloads!
out of my 8" Taurus .44 it produces a bright flash and the LOUDEST bang for a .44 i can recall.
the only gun on the range louder than my Taurus was some dude with a Freedom Arms .454..lol
i'd like to chronograph this load out of my Ruger 44/77 18" barrel rifle
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#28]
In my 9mm subgun it's underpowered and dirty.

The Win White box has better cycling speed and is A LOT cleaner.

FWIW...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]
For me literally hit or miss.

9 mm can shoot accurate out of my Glock on one box and completely suck on the next. Same with 45 ACP out of my USP.

What is consistent is that its dirty and cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top